Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Dew Caribbean Cask finish

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭FlicFlak

I see this always stocked in Dunnes Stores. Maybe try your local store.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Thanks very much for that folks. The price on that site is a fair one I think. My local shop is a Dunnes but I haven't seen it on the shelves. I'll ask them next time I'm in. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

27.54 in Super Valu according to their website. Not sure of stock availability in stores.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-irish-whiskey-tullamore-dew-xo-rum-cask-70-cl-/p-1727631000

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

My local was useless. Said they never stock Tullamore Dew anyway.
    They said they couldn't get it in for me, and the only way to check stock in other stores was for me to ring around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭KnicksInSix

I picked it up in SV Killester earlier in the week. I've seen it in Dunnes often enough for around the €35 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,389 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Picked up a bottle in Supervalu for €27 and it's definitely worth a punt at that price.
    Feels like a step up in quality from standard Tullamore Dew.

This might sound crazy, but as an experiment if you have standard Tullamore Dew (or standard whiskey like Bushmills) and a golden rum such as Havana Club Anejo Especial or Mount Gay, try a blend of 2/3 whiskey to 1/3 rum ... I'm picking up a lot of similarities to the rum cask finish.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle in Supervalu for €27 and it's definitely worth a punt at that price.
    Feels like a step up in quality from standard Tullamore Dew.

This might sound crazy, but as an experiment if you have standard Tullamore Dew (or standard whiskey like Bushmills) and a golden rum such as Havana Club Anejo Especial or Mount Gay, try a blend of 2/3 whiskey to 1/3 rum ... I'm picking up a lot of similarities to the rum cask finish.

That's not so crazy, at all.
    When casks come in they will often have several litres of the original contents sloshing around in the "empty" cask.
    I guess some producers drain out and rinse the cask, others may well leave the liquid in the cask, essentially adding rum/sherry/etc in small quantities to the whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Tullamore have said their rum casks arrive with liquid, so they don't contract durning transit, and then they empty them before filling them with their whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Effects wrote: »
    Tullamore have said their rum casks arrive with liquid, so they don't contract durning transit, and then they empty them before filling them with their whiskey.

That would be the norm but I suspect some people keep some of it in the casks for a more pronounce effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

odyssey06 wrote: »

Yes, definitely worth it for that. I paid €42 in the Tullamore Dew visitor centre during the summer (rookie mistake) and thought it wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Picked up one in supervalu. Better than the teelings rum cask finish imo.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Similar price in Dunnes at the moment. (Approx €28ish.)

I can't seem to find it in any of the Supervalus or Dunnes I've checked in South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,389 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

TP_CM wrote: »
    I can't seem to find it in any of the Supervalus or Dunnes I've checked in South Dublin.

I got mine in Supervalu Sutton. Were any of the Supervalus you tried former Superquinn stores? I find they still have different stock to the Supervalu stores that were always SV.

There's chance they've sold all their allocation :(
    I don't see it listed anymore on the Supervalu open website i.e. no store selected.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

TP_CM wrote: »

Good few of them available in Bray yesterday when I was in.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Good few of them available in Bray yesterday when I was in.

Thanks a million. Is that Bray Supervalu or Bray Dunnes?

Advertisement