Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS4 Gift ideas - 15yr old loves Horizon ZD and Spiderman?

• 27-11-2020 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just a quick question - What would be a good choice of PS4 game for a Christmas gift for a 15yr old who loves Horizon Zero Dawn and the latest Spiderman?

We've a backlog of PS4 games so not too worried about waiting for PS5 etc.

Also he's hard to buy for so running out of ideas.

Dark Souls Trilogy was only one I was pondering so far - But I don't think he's into grim and ghoulish? (Not sure I've the right assessment there....BTW)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What's his opinion on the Assassins Creed series? Valhalla is just out, and it's an open world adventure similar to the Spiderman and Horizon: Zero Dawn series.

What games does he own?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Thanks for the ideas so far folks

I'd mentioned Horizon Zero Dawn and Spiderman as he'd play them both to death.

He definitely liked Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy.

He's not into TLOU yet as he is a bit Zombie averse !!!

Will his Mother shoot me if I buy him Valhalla?! - I read that there's a brothel scene....

Also God of War I'm aware is a massive favourite but its passed me by - Would that be an option for a 15 yr old?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Thanks for the ideas so far folks

I'd mentioned Horizon Zero Dawn and Spiderman as he'd play them both to death.

He definitely liked Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy.

He's not into TLOU yet as he is a bit Zombie averse !!!

Will his Mother shoot me if I buy him Valhalla?! - I read that there's a brothel scene....

Also God of War I'm aware is a massive favourite but its passed me by - Would that be an option for a 15 yr old?

There's a no nudity option in Valhalla.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Maybe the Batman Arkham games I think there is a PS4 collection very similar IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If by the latest Spider-man game you mean Miles Morales, then has he played the original?

Uncharted is another great series of titles worth checking out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ghost of Tsushima is probably a good shout for him. Maybe the Yakuza games, Yakuza Like a Dragon is a good starting point.

Dark Souls is incredible but they are very difficult so it's worth taking that into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Immortals Fenyx Rising is out next week, and could be a good option if reviews are decent; big colourful open world, without the adult themes that might upset his mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far people.

At the risk of sounding self-contradictory.... When I mentioned buying PS4 games and not being bothered about PS5 ones, I wasn't really thinking of spending €60-70 on a PS4 version of a game when the PS5 one is also available at the same time for the same price!

I just kind of thought I might pick up a slightly older top notch game for €30 and move on.

This got me thinking then, I read something a while back about PS4 games getting PS5 patches/downloads to boost their performance/graphics etc. This is obviously great for all the PS4 games we love and look forward to replaying with optimised everything, better graphics, faster load times etc

But I assume you are holding off for the moment and waiting for PS5 versions of anything after a certain release date or over a certain price?

One that comes to mind is COD Cold War - I think they offered a free upgrade to PS5 version with certain purchases?

I suppose what I'm asking is what are the rules here!!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Jedi Fallen Order mightn't be a bad shout

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

titan18 wrote: »
    Jedi Fallen Order mightn't be a bad shout

Just get dark souls. It's like fallen order but not ****e.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the suggestions so far people.

At the risk of sounding self-contradictory.... When I mentioned buying PS4 games and not being bothered about PS5 ones, I wasn't really thinking of spending €60-70 on a PS4 version of a game when the PS5 one is also available at the same time for the same price!

I just kind of thought I might pick up a slightly older top notch game for €30 and move on.

This got me thinking then, I read something a while back about PS4 games getting PS5 patches/downloads to boost their performance/graphics etc. This is obviously great for all the PS4 games we love and look forward to replaying with optimised everything, better graphics, faster load times etc

But I assume you are holding off for the moment and waiting for PS5 versions of anything after a certain release date or over a certain price?

One that comes to mind is COD Cold War - I think they offered a free upgrade to PS5 version with certain purchases?

I suppose what I'm asking is what are the rules here!!!???

No rules. Basically just depends on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just get dark souls. It's like fallen order but not ****e.

Dark souls might be a bit much for a 15 year old imo.

That's 15 year old needs to git gud!

Seriously though I think a 15 year old has way more time to play through a game like that that someone with a full time job in their late 20s. Of I could beat contra hard corp at 13 then dark souls is a cake walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

no, if they like H:ZD and Spider-Man then they definitely won't like those git gud games or Yakuza games
    games to definitely try are
    God of War
    Witcher 3
    Control
    any of the Arkane Studios games like Dishonored 1+2 or Prey
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey
    The Tomb Raider Series
    Dragon Age Inquisition
    Middle Earth: shadow of games
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Devil May Cry 5
    The Batman Arkham games
    The Outer Worlds

I left out first person games but there are some great ones there too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Skerries wrote: »
    no, if they like H:ZD and Spider-Man then they definitely won't like those git gud games or Yakuza games
    games to definitely try are
    God of War
    Witcher 3
    Control
    any of the Arkane Studios games like Dishonored 1+2 or Prey
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey
    The Tomb Raider Series
    Dragon Age Inquisition
    Middle Earth: shadow of games
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Devil May Cry 5
    The Batman Arkham games
    The Outer Worlds

I left out first person games but there are some great ones there too

If he likes uncharted, he will like the tomb raider games, plus they would be as cheap as chips.

If he likes uncharted, he will like the tomb raider games, plus they would be as cheap as chips.

that's a good shout.

often derided but most people who start those games enjoy them enough and usually finish them which is more that can be said for a lot of games!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Skerries wrote: »

How do you even come to that conclusion? :confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

God of war is epic. Also, I've just finished days gone and despite some negative reviews it's actually very enjoyable and perfect for a 15 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What about going down the line of a headset or one of those clip on back buttons for the controller?

Advertisement