Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zgemma H2S - yes H2S - questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

swoofer wrote: »
    have you name of usb dongle and then i can tell you name of driver but then again ..

ok m8 gimme 2 mins,but theres no name on the dongle.
    unless i plug it in pc and try get details that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

where did you buy it was it ebay?

where did you buy it was it ebay?

came with another sat box i bought,am using it right now on pc.

says ralink manufactuer

ok go to plugins green download, then drivers scrool through and look for network usb -rt3070 and that should work but if it doesn't i would go to techkings. I dont use the H2S anymore.

ok go to plugins green download, then drivers scrool through and look for network usb -rt3070 and that should work but if it doesn't i would go to techkings. I dont use the H2S anymore.

ok will have a go now m8.

• Advertisement

i installled network usb -rt3070 but do not see it in the remove from plug ins

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

bassy wrote: »
    ok m8 gimme 2 mins,but theres no name on the dongle.
    unless i plug it in pc and try get details that way.

If using OpenATV you can run a terminal in its GUI on a PC and check with
    dmesg

the information the Zgemma gets from the dongle.

For instance this is what I get for mine
    root@zgemmah2s:~# dmesg | grep -i rtl                                                                                         
    [   12.161000] usb 1-2.2: dvb_usb_v2: found a 'Realtek RTL2832U reference design' in warm state                               
    [   12.226000] dvbdev: DVB: registering new adapter (Realtek RTL2832U reference design)                                       
    [   12.313000] rtl2832 7-0010: Realtek RTL2832 successfully attached                                                          
    [   12.313000] usb 1-2.2: DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T))...                                  
    [   12.443000] input: Realtek RTL2832U reference design as /devices/platform/ehci-brcm.0/usb1/1-2/1-2.2/rc/rc1/input5         
    [   12.444000] rc rc1: Realtek RTL2832U reference design as /devices/platform/ehci-brcm.0/usb1/1-2/1-2.2/rc/rc1               
    [   12.473000] usb 1-2.2: dvb_usb_v2: 'Realtek RTL2832U reference design' successfully initialized and connected              
    [   12.474000] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_rtl28xxu

As can be seen it uses the dvb_usb_rtl28xxu driver (last line).

If using OpenATV you can run a terminal in its GUI on a PC and check with
    dmesg

the information the Zgemma gets from the dongle.

For instance this is what I get for mine
    root@zgemmah2s:~# dmesg | grep -i rtl                                                                                         
    [   12.161000] usb 1-2.2: dvb_usb_v2: found a 'Realtek RTL2832U reference design' in warm state                               
    [   12.226000] dvbdev: DVB: registering new adapter (Realtek RTL2832U reference design)                                       
    [   12.313000] rtl2832 7-0010: Realtek RTL2832 successfully attached                                                          
    [   12.313000] usb 1-2.2: DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T))...                                  
    [   12.443000] input: Realtek RTL2832U reference design as /devices/platform/ehci-brcm.0/usb1/1-2/1-2.2/rc/rc1/input5         
    [   12.444000] rc rc1: Realtek RTL2832U reference design as /devices/platform/ehci-brcm.0/usb1/1-2/1-2.2/rc/rc1               
    [   12.473000] usb 1-2.2: dvb_usb_v2: 'Realtek RTL2832U reference design' successfully initialized and connected              
    [   12.474000] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_rtl28xxu

As can be seen it uses the dvb_usb_rtl28xxu driver (last line).

using openatv here,so not sure if i can do what your saying?.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is the Zgemma box capable of showing a 7 day epg for satellite or is it just now & next? Also is it possible just to have one epg for both terrestrial and satellite.

I do not use the Zgemma HDMI output at all, only minisatip to my Tvheadend server, and it manages EPG, Recording, and allocation of tuners as required.

There are plugins for the Zgemms which I have not used that can get 7 day EPG.
    From what little I saw while messing about with the device, most likely the best way to manage integration of channels would be to select the channels you want, put them into the Favourites bouquet and rearrange them to whatever order you prefer.

Maybe someone with experience of using E2 has a much better suggestion ..... I only use the hardware as a Sat>IP device to provide tuners for my backend server.

using openatv here,so not sure if i can do what your saying?.

Yes, that is what I am using
    OpenATV 6.4.20201102 (2020-10-26)

Put the IP address of the Zgemma into a browser in the PC and under 'Extras' on the left you can select 'Terminal'.
    For log in use 'root' and then use 'dmesg'.

It looks something like this
    zgemmah2s login: root                                                                                                         
    root@zgemmah2s:~# dmesg                                                                                                       
    [    0.000000] Measuring MIPS counter frequency...                                                                            
    [    0.000000] Detected MIPS clock frequency: 751 MHz (375.765 MHz counter)                                                   
    [    0.000000] clocksource: wktmr: mask: 0xffffffffffffffff max_cycles: 0x63a1e71a3, max_idle_ns: 440795203123 ns             
    [    0.000000] sched_clock: 32 bits at 1kHz, resolution 1000000ns, wraps every 2147483647500000ns                             
    [    0.000000] ....

Check the output to see your dongle listed.

• Advertisement

Yes, that is what I am using
    OpenATV 6.4.20201102 (2020-10-26)

Put the IP address of the Zgemma into a browser in the PC and under 'Extras' on the left you can select 'Terminal'.
    For log in use 'root' and then use 'dmesg'.

ok will give it a go and report back.

done what you said but my box is connected via ethernet,as i cannot get the usb wifi dongle to connect box to the internet.

and this is not going to give the wifi dongle details when it does not have box connected to the net.

done what you said but my box is connected via ethernet,as i cannot get the usb wifi dongle to connect box to the internet.
    and this is not going to give the wifi dongle details when it does not have box connected to the net.

I am unsure what you mean ....

So, let me say you do not need any internet connection to check the dongle.

You do need to have the Zgemma and the PC to be connected to the same LAN for my suggestion above to work.
    All my devices are connected via ethernet cable to the LAN.
    I do not use WIFI for TV as I find it unsuitable.

I am unsure what you mean ....

So, let me say you do not need any internet connection to check the dongle.

You do need to have the Zgemma and the PC to be connected to the same LAN for my suggestion above to work.
    All my devices are connected via ethernet cable to the LAN.
    I do not use WIFI for TV as I find it unsuitable.

Yes pc and box are connected to router via ethernet cable.
    You saying to have the usb dongle plugged in as well.

You plug the USB dongle into the Zgemma and use WebIF via the browser in the PC, and from there the Terminal as described.

You plug the USB dongle into the Zgemma and use WebIF via the browser in the PC, and from there the Terminal as described.

Well when I just plug in the usb dongle webif will not open up as the usb dongle is not connecting to my wifi

You must do a hard reboot with the e wi fi dongle connected and when you go to network it should show up a wlan and lan, the one in use will be highlighted, select the wi fi and it should ask select network or search. how far are you from router. and i used the usb slot in the front. I have h2s in attic and if I get a bit of time today I'll have a go but as I said in post 2 i use grog build from techkings. That build comes with a sky skin, epg, autobouquet maker etc. It made the h2s work properly.

ps if you could say or link where you got dongle i could have a closer look and raise a q on techkings.

and can you say image name and version.

Well when I just plug in the usb dongle webif will not open up as the usb dongle is not connecting to my wifi

If the devices are connected via ethernet cable then you can of course use webif ........ long before the dongle is plugged in.

If the devices are connected via ethernet cable then you can of course use webif ........ long before the dongle is plugged in.

Webif with the ethernet only gives details about wired connection.
    The box is not finding the usb wifi dongle as you need a driver to install the dongle for it to be recognized.

• Advertisement

did you do a hard re-boot ie press the white button at rear of box and let it reboot? And is that dongle one of of those black things with an antenna?

did you do a hard re-boot ie press the white button at rear of box and let it reboot? And is that dongle one of of those black things with an antenna?

Yes to black thing with antenna

Webif with the ethernet only gives details about wired connection.
    The box is not finding the usb wifi dongle as you need a driver to install the dongle for it to be recognized.

You need to read what I posted ........ go to the terminal in webif, plug in your dongle and then issue the command
    dmesg

in the terminal and you will get some details of your dongle.

no he wont unless he does a hard reboot and that dongle he is using comes with proprietary boxes, also the image he is using may rfuse to install the driver i recommended and I cant get him to tell me the image name and version or if he did a hard re-boot.

no he wont unless he does a hard reboot and that dongle he is using comes with proprietary boxes, also the image he is using may rfuse to install the driver i recommended and I cant get him to tell me the image name and version or if he did a hard re-boot.

Image is the latest openATV and ye that's like my dongle in your pic

ie 6.4 and did you do a hard reboot??

I expected a similar report as I get from my Linux install ...... expecting too much I guess. :(

just wondering ...
    What is the purpose of adding a wifi dongle if the Zgemma is already connected to the router via ethernet cable?
    Originally Posted by bassy

just wondering ...
    What is the purpose of adding a wifi dongle if the Zgemma is already connected to the router via ethernet cable?

Wanna be able to use it away from the router

• Advertisement

I thought I had posted earlier, that dongle wont work. I can download the driver but it is not picked up by box. I am using openatv 6.3 and I have 2 of those dongles.

If you want a dongle that works try the VU+ WI FI ones but not cheap and tricky to set up .

Advertisement