Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Christmas trees

• 25-11-2020 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Where is selling real Christmas trees?

I know some places may be click & collect or delivery until after Level 5.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Might be a bit of a trek for some here (especially in current times), but we always go out to Galway Christmas Trees, near Esker, Athenry. In normal times its a lovely experience, especially for kids.

I'm not sure how it'll work this year, I believe you have to make an appointment to visit.

https://www.galwaychristmastrees.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 39 zeitner

McD's in Galway Crystal got a delivery of real trees in this morning so contact them if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭39steps

Coilllte have real trees for sale behind B&Q in Knocknacarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There's a place beside Higgins in Shantalla selling them, passed by it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Real Christmas Tree shop opening this weekend in Barna, opposite Super Value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Guy selling trees outside of the bucket and space shop in Salthill today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Bredabe wrote: »
    Real Christmas Tree shop opening this weekend in Barna, opposite Super Value.

Got our last one from Slemons across from Clarke's. Can't recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭bmc58

Panda5000 wrote: »

Argos selling lovely artifical trees.Bought one five years ago and still using it.No more collecting pine needles on sitting room floor in January anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dancewithme

bmc58 wrote: »
    Argos selling lovely artifical trees.Bought one five years ago and still using it.No more collecting pine needles on sitting room floor in January anymore.

But that is a fake Christmas tree. Let the op decide when he/she wants to get a fake Christmas tree. They want a real one this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 greenerie

Second vote for Christmas trees at Meadow Farm in Athenry, brilliant staff and you can go pick your own from Tuesday. Whatever you do don't order from real irish trees, ordered two weeks ago and got an email yesterday morning, the day it was due to arrive to say my order was cancelled. Spent the day sourcing another one then got a call from them at 5pm saying they were on the way with a tree and I still haven't received confirmation of a refund.

• Advertisement

But that is a fake Christmas tree. Let the op decide when he/she wants to get a fake Christmas tree. They want a real one this year.

Think of the plannet.Trees are good,stop cutting them down.

It's not a fake Christmas tree.It's our Christmas Tree and it's real to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

The Christmas trees are out doing their thing for 11 months of the year. Unlike an oil-based tree (manufactured in China with dirty power and shipped across the world) that's sitting in your attic for most of the year!

Locally grown real tree that's recycled/disposed properly is the environmental choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dangan House Garden Centre has a good selection of real trees. We got ours there today

Thanks for the recommendations - got one from Slemons opposite Supervalu in Barna. Not the cheapest in town but local and a top quality tree!

Was a bit skeptical of their homemade steel stands but works a treat.

People aren't heading out to a local forest and clearfelling wilderness for these.
    Christmas trees are grown more like vegetables.

There's probably a good environmental argument for real trees - the do sequester carbon, and slowly release it as they rot. They have low miles so probably don't generate much carbon during distribution.

God knows what went into my plastic tree, or what it took to get it to me.

pg633 wrote: »
    People aren't heading out to a local forest and clearfelling wilderness for these.
    Christmas trees are grown more like vegetables.

There's probably a good environmental argument for real trees - the do sequester carbon, and slowly release it as they rot. They have low miles so probably don't generate much carbon during distribution.

God knows what went into my plastic tree, or what it took to get it to me.

But how long will it last you? Years and years.

Booked a time in Athenry on Sunday. Really looking forward to it.

But how long will it last you? Years and years.

And how long will it last after you're gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Demonique

Fake trees are made of plastic which is worse for the environment than a real tree.

It takes the same resources to produce one plastic tree as it does to produce 10 real trees

Oh and if someone gets a living tree in a pot they can use it year after year

• Advertisement

Demonique wrote: »
    Fake trees are made of plastic which is worse for the environment than a real tree.

It takes the same resources to produce one plastic tree as it does to produce 10 real trees

Oh and if someone gets a living tree in a pot they can use it year after

year

Don't think a 10 year old Christmas tree in a "pot" would fit in my ordinary house.
    Think after a few years you would have to have a barrel for the tree.Somehow I don't fancy having a tree in a barrel in my home.Live trees grow big you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The Christmas trees are out doing their thing for 11 months of the year. Unlike an oil-based tree (manufactured in China with dirty power and shipped across the world) that's sitting in your attic for most of the year!

Locally grown real tree that's recycled/disposed properly is the environmental choice!

Id say you're mighty craic on a night out.

Unreal!

Thanks for your contribution to the thread.

I have my moments,even if I do say so myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Christmas trees on sale at the turn off to BIM/Galway Bay Seafoods at Lough Atalia Road/Docks Road near the Harbour Hotel, starting at €55 & some of the proceeds go to Galway RNLI Lifeboat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There is careful management in the growing of trees these days, when a tree is cut a new one is planted so its not just a case of an empty wasteland full of tree stumps.

Have a small artificial tree myself because I live alone and its enough but its hard to beat the look of a real tree when all the lights etc are on it.

Advertisement