Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alternative to cash for teenager

Options
  • 26-11-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hi all, for the past few years I've given my teenage godson a couple of books and some cash. I may not see him this year and I'd prefer not to send cash through the post, even hidden in the book! Any ideas for vouchers or other cash alternatives for a teenage boy? I've sent him all4one vouchers in the past so would like something a bit different. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

how about a voucher from a gaming shop, if he is into games.
    Teenagers frequently are into fashion. You could find out if he likes any particular brand and get an online voucher from them.
    Ask his Mam if he is into skincare and get him something from a posh brand that he wouldn't normally buy from.
    You'd be surprised how many teenage guys are into skincare.
    I once gave a teenager an anthology of recent poetry and they loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

itunes vouchers - music is most teenagers world.

& giant bar of toblerone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Amazon vouchers are universally appreciated by all teenagers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Don’t think iTunes even exists anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Dont use One4All vouchers. Find there less shops nowadays that accept them and theres limits on how much you can use at hone time.

Amazon.co.uk voucher would be my choice too.

• Advertisement

Amazon is always a good, universal idea. Or just go Cash, if it were me, personally. Send it by registered post. I don't trust vouchers as we know we're looking at another set of restrictions in January anyway, so I'd be more inclined to give a cash gift, if it were me, personally.

Really?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

An iTunes voucher??? Jesus

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It does, but its really not that relevant anymore. And you'd need to know that they were an iDevice user cause its basically pointless otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

Really?????

Dont think cash exists anymore? :pac:

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    Dont think cash exists anymore? :pac:

Last time I looked you needed some kind of funding transaction to get vouchers! Can’t believe itunes is irrelevant. OK so thou - thanks for the warning!

Whats wrong with a giant toblerone to gnaw at? For a teenager? Fiver on special in the supermarket and you can stick a voucher to it! Its nice to have something to unwrap & scoff on christmas day as you hoard your vouchers/money transfers!

Ask if they have paypal, and send them some money that way. Use "Friends and Family"

Or transfer some cash to their bank account! (Banking app?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Most teenagers have bank accounts and you can do a direct transfer if you have their IBAN. I do this for all the young people when I need to gift something. Cash in the bank is great as they can either save it for a particular item, or spend it.

Send an email asking them to confirm it has reached their account and you may even get a thank you in return!

Vouchers are a risk and I hate One4all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If they have Revolut transfer cash that way, if not, you can buy e-vouchers for Xbox or PS store credit so he can buy a game.

Loughc wrote: »
    If they have Revolut transfer cash that way, if not, you can buy e-vouchers for Xbox or PS store credit so he can buy a game.

OP - what age is boy & is he living in Ireland? What is he into?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

He doesn't have Revolut unfortunately but PayPal is a possibility, I'll check if he has an account. Yeah he lives in a rural area, he has a part time job so he must get paid somehow! He loves sport, gaming to an extent too but in normal times he'd prefer to be out with his friends than on a device. Some great ideas here thanks folks, I'll make enquiries as to PayPal and his iban. I used to hide the cash in a book and the digital transfer doesn't allow for that obviously, but may ultimately be more practical

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Netflix, Amazon Prime or any gaming subscription. Or what about the trendy clothing gifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

iphone 12 pro max

If they need a new phone

• Registered Users Posts: 26,176 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Boots voucher.

Advertisement