Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera recommendations

• 18-08-2020 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

I've had a quick look and can't see any recent threads for camera recommendations. I'm looking to get myself a camera to mount on my helmet. My current budget about €100. Ideally that would include card and mount in that budget. Anybody bought a camera recently and have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Bump :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Drift Ghost X are meant to be pretty well thought of. I'd a Drift Stealth before and was happy enough with it but traded up for a Cycliq camera with integrated light.

You can get them cheap enough on AliExpress if willing to wait for delivery.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'd never heard of Drift cameras before, so will have a look.

AliExpress is a no no for me though, have had issues with them in the past!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have a drift Stealth 2 for over 5 years now and still works well (well did till this week). Unfortunately broke the screen on it just this week so am looking for a new camera. Considering the Drift 4k but would take other recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭mp31

Mobius Maxi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Would there be any customs issues buying from AliExpress or Bangood?
    Thanks.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Would there be any customs issues buying from AliExpress or Bangood?
    Thanks.

Not so much issues but you will likely have to pay tax as they are stricter than they used to be.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have a drift Stealth 2 for over 5 years now and still works well (well did till this week). Unfortunately broke the screen on it just this week so am looking for a new camera. Considering the Drift 4k but would take other recommendations

Have you found any decent deals in your search? I've been up the walls with work so haven't had a chance to look yet

Have you found any decent deals in your search? I've been up the walls with work so haven't had a chance to look yet
    Its really the cost that's stopping me. I am probably going to go with a Drift again. There isn't really much value from China unless your getting the full kit, and I think getting it from the UK will make warranty issues (which I hope not to have) easier. I simply don't like the GoPro looks and they are even more over priced. I know there are cheaper but i have bought cheap in the past and had no luck.

So I haven't bought anything yet but I did get a Hero 8 in work as they are using it for demonstrations etc and I get to used it. Anyway, I borrowed it for a test use after work (with permission).

Positives:
    - Image is perfect
    - Image stabilisation is incredible

General comments:
    - software may or may not be good, it won't connect
    - its annoying that you have to pull the card rather than be able to transfer files through the charge cable they provide

Negatives:
    - The battery is woeful. I mean, lucky to get 50minutes at 1080p/60fps. I am sure I can turn off some things to improve it but its poor compared to the Drift, Cycliq or Contour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Started using my virb again. Forgot quite how decent the pic was on it.my shimano cm1000 is still my go to, due to the size/form factor, but image isn't as good.

I'd ideally like a nice small form camera, that can take a 64-128 hb card with a 4+ hr battery. Don't need a light in it as I have dynamos installed on 2-3 bikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Has anyone found a decent camera for under €100?

I want to get one for my partner, but he wants one with decent battery life (4+ hours) - I could stretch the budget a bit if I need to

Have looked at a few on amazon but the reviews seem to only mention battery life when filming in 4K (and it's not long enough), but no mention of what it could be if you filmed in a lower quality

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has anyone found a decent camera for under €100?

I want to get one for my partner, but he wants one with decent battery life (4+ hours) - I could stretch the budget a bit if I need to

Have looked at a few on amazon but the reviews seem to only mention battery life when filming in 4K (and it's not long enough), but no mention of what it could be if you filmed in a lower quality

Ghost X with extended battery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭Ryath

Good discounts on cycliq for Black Friday. Rear for €153, front for €209 or both for €336. Tempted to get a camera for a good while now, cyclic looks the most discreet option.

Would like the bundle but it’s a good chunk of change. If I was to just get one which is more of a benefit front or back camera? Rear seems best to catch close passes? Or is the front enough, often find drivers pull out far enough but start pulling back in early before they’re are even past. Benefit of the front you can point it where you want to record to?

If you have only enough for one, I'd recommend a helmet cam as it will catch more than any front or rear on its own as well as show that you were observant. Cycliqs are too heavy for that IMO, a drift sleath might be an option in that regard for similar money.

I had the rear cycliq for 135 from CSS although it broke, twice and the distributor was less than friendly getting it replaced, thankfully CSS were very decent and refunded without query. I also got the front Cycliq from CRC on offer for about 150 2 years ago and it has been bomb proof.

Long story short, you'll get them both for less if you are not in a rush.

Definitely not wearing a helmet cam! I said I wanted discreet! :pac:
    They're the newest V3 versions though so doubt they'll be discounted much more than that for a while at least. If you had to choose between front and rear alone which would you go for?

Thinking maybe to get the Cycliq rear for the moment and maybe something like the Ghost X down the line.

I'd flip a coin to be honest, I've had as many near misses from the front as the rear. The rear is far more discreet. The front will show more likely who is at fault. I think.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ryath wrote: »
    Definitely not wearing a helmet cam! I said I wanted discreet! :pac:
    They're the newest V3 versions though so doubt they'll be discounted much more than that for a while at least. If you had to choose between front and rear alone which would you go for?
    I have both (although my gen2 Fly6 (rear) was sent back to the company in Australia and I'm expecting a replacement gen2 any month now).

I've found that the rear is great at showing approaching drivers and their impatience, etc. However, what I found is in the dark it can be difficult to see the front reg plate. The light on my Fly6 is great. Apparently the gen3 is even better.
    In terms of sound, the rear tends to pick up so much road and bike noise that it won't hear any commentary - even when you're stopped and talking to a driver, it may not catch the conversation. The Fly12 front is very good and will pick up most things said (including you shouting at drivers :D)
    The front is great and will show the second half of a close pass.

I believe that the new gen3 Fly6 also allows you to view footage whilst out. My gen2 needs me to have a laptop to see the footage and I tend not to bring a laptop with me on a spin.

I don't know but if I had to pick one I'd probably go for the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Birka

Can anyone recommend a strong dual mount for a Garmin Edge and a Fly12. I've gone through two Cycliq mounts and they're not cheap (or robust)

I was afraid the front would be recommended! At the price of the front I'm getting to the point I may as well spend the extra €125 on the bundle and get the rear as well! The drift seems very good but I'm not seeing any great deals on it. Their mounts are bulky too, the cycliq mounts look much neater.

Cycliq light's won't be main ones for me handy back ups/ get me home in evening. I have several lezynes and one bike with a dynamo set up for night time spins.

I'll think about it for a bit and see how the budget is tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Birka wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a strong dual mount for a Garmin Edge and a Fly12. I've gone through two Cycliq mounts and they're not cheap (or robust)
    Most of them are built for Heros not Cycliqs and from experience, they can't take the weight unfortunately. Not what you want to hear and I could be wrong.
    Ryath wrote: »
    I was afraid the front would be recommended! At the price of the front I'm getting to the point I may as well spend the extra €125 on the bundle and get the rear as well! The drift seems very good but I'm not seeing any great deals on it. Their mounts are bulky too, the cycliq mounts look much neater.

Cycliq light's won't be main ones for me handy back ups/ get me home in evening. I have several lezynes and one bike with a dynamo set up for night time spins.

I'll think about it for a bit and see how the budget is tomorrow!

Considering the weight, I'd look at making them your main light, otherwise buy a separate lighter camera. I found for any other, hanging the camera under the bar makes it look neater and inconspicuous. I hang my Cycliq upside down under the bar as its too bulky for on top. This is the same for any camera, most of them will hang off the Go Pro or Cycliq hangers

I never got around to buying a camera. I still want a camera that mounts to my helmet. I'm thinking of going for the Drift Ghost X. I've been keeping an eye on it, and it hasn't gone down in price on either Amazon or the Drift site for Black Friday unfortunately

I've tried loads and they all break. Only the original Cycliq handlebar mount works.
    The fitting for the camera on the Garmin 2-in-1 mounts tend to crack fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

These aluminum mounts are less than a fiver including shipping, over at AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000130989001.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d8Rw5py

MTB-Road-Bicycle-Computer-Camera-Mount-Holder-Out-Front-Bike-Stem-Extension-Support-Holder-for-Garmin.jpg_640x640.jpg

The problem is with the weak plastic piece that screws in to the underside of the mount. You get it with your Fly12 and it won't last long. I went through a number of them before giving up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone have user reviews on this?

https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/

Loooking for a reasonably priced camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The G-EYE 900 from Decathlon gets pretty good reviews

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/g-eye-900-4k-and-full-hd-sports-camera-with-touch-screen-en-s148060.html#:~:text=G%2DEYE%20900%204K%20and,is%20watertight%20(up%20to%2040m)

Also the previous model G-EYE 500 if you can find it was well regarded among action cam users. Great price too, but it's white!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dahat wrote: »
    Anyone have user reviews on this?

https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/

Loooking for a reasonably priced camera.

Thats the F9 Mini DV and is ANCIENT. Very very meh. Dull evening and youll just get a 3GPP esque video like you'd have seen on Bebo. Wouldnt bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In response to this query

I mount my Apeman on my helmet. The camera itself is tiny, almost matchbox sized. It does come with a perspex case, mounted on the helmet with a cable tie.

All the accessories are shown in this video, though for an older model of camera.

It can be mounted on the bars easily, as you can see in the video.

• Advertisement
Advertisement