Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What DrPhil gets next?

• 26-11-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting twitchy again. Only had my i3 for just over 2 years but it's starting to bug me. Top shock mounts went, getting those replaced tonight by a local mechanic so it'll only cost me about €200 all in. But the reverse camera just shat itself too and that's likely to cost north of €500.

Basically I don't like having an out of warranty car, it makes me twitch. Make that an out of date EV and the twitch gets stronger. Make it a bloody BMW with a trip to Coleraine from Donegal and a minimum £120 any time they have to even look at it and I get positively grumpy.

But what are my options? I know that the charging network is a lot more available now that pricing is in, but my most common long range trip is to Belfast and back (once a month until lockdown) so I still want a solid 250km range for security. And that's proper range, not LeafSpeed or "if you drop to 100km on the motorway" etc.

I've got a 162 i3 so have a fairly substantial deposit/trade value. But I'd prefer to finance the next car either by a loan, HP, PCP etc. If I could just put down €10k worth of the i3 value and pocket some change for a while, even better.

So who are the contenders?

* Audi e-Tron, Model S/X, I-Pace, Taycan all miles beyond budget. Some decent prices on second hand Model S etc but then I'd be back in the same boat of having an out of warranty potential wallet eater.

* Honda e, Mini, Corsa, 208, 2008, e-Golf, Ioniq, Zoe & Kona all ruled out due to size and/or range.

* ID.3 - I'm not overly fussed on the looks, inside or out. Software issues aplenty. Range OK and 100k CCS charging. Over priced due to the badge.

* ID.4 - see above for the most part, but even more expensive.

* Skoda Enyaq - bigger battery version will have the range, but not sure yet about spec, price or availability.

* Seat/Cupra el-Born - very sexy car, but a long way off I suspect.

* Leaf 62 - might at a pinch get to 250km but I doubt it. Also chademo charging and the usual crappy battery cooling. Ruled out on that alone.

* Nissan Ariya - this is a fantastic looking car. Should have all the usual Nissan reliability, but they've changed the bad stuff and moved to CCS and proper battery management. Expensive, but I could be persuaded. Not out for another year though.

* e-Niro - I came close in the past to buying this. Was turned off by the irritating Irish habit of stripping out the spec from the UK version. Also front wheel drive which I'm not overly fond of. But lots of space, sufficient range, long warranty. Probably the front runner if I can figure out the financing.

* e-Soul - has everything that the Niro has and more, plus its cheaper. But it's a Postman Pat van. I don't know if I can look beyond that, which I know is rich coming from an i3 owner.

* Tesla Model 3 - heart over head, I'd bloody love this. SR version would be cutting it fine though for range and the LR costs a bomb. Also have concerns about quality, sorry Tesla nerds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think the best bang for your buck, in terms of range, size, spec, charge speed etc is the Soul.

The SR+ would do 250km round trip (but not much more) in the winter - but my feelings about Tesla are well known and I'd be loathe to recommend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

The ioniq 38? 250 should be no bother, its no longer an exciting car, but the 28 is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

DrPhilG wrote: »
    * Tesla Model 3 - heart over head, I'd bloody love this. SR version would be cutting it fine though for range and the LR costs a bomb. Also have concerns about quality, sorry Tesla nerds.

Have you considered that all other manufacturers have been building their panels too close together for years and that Test have, in fact, perfected the panel gap?

AhHaor wrote: »
    The ioniq 38? 250 should be no bother, its no longer an exciting car, but the 28 is fantastic

The 38 charges too slowly, would struggle to get 250 in the winter, and he already ruled out the ioniq

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

AhHaor wrote: »

Like ELM327 says, I wouldn't get near 250km year round in the Ioniq. 180 would be closer to reality I suspect. Plus that would result in higher reliance on the network, and the crappy charge speed would come into play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I still want a solid 250km range for security. And that's proper range, not LeafSpeed or "if you drop to 100km on the motorway" etc.

* Tesla Model 3 - heart over head, I'd bloody love this. SR version would be cutting it fine though for range and the LR costs a bomb.

You'd struggle making 250km in an SR+ in winter at a constant 120km/h. With some 80/100km/h roads & reduced speed on the motorway, sure, but you said you didn't want to have to do that.

That said, you'd be OK 90% of the time, so a worthwhile sacrifice IMO.

O8AJJBh.jpg

That was an SR+ doing a constant 120km/h (GPS) for 80kms.
    Consumption 20kWh/100km.

eNiro would be my pick - range, decent build quality, long warranty, orthodox looks, good value.

Like ELM327 says, I wouldn't get near 250km year round in the Ioniq. 180 would be closer to reality I suspect.

Ioniq 38.

Cowgi2b.jpg

16.7kWh/100km for me last March on a largely motorway trip of 212km, so a max range of 220km. Warmish, good weather etc. so you'd be right in thinking under 200km possible in winter at speed.

Funny one.
    Worst case scenario in the Ioniq 38, high speed in abysmal conditions (motorway deserted), strong wind, probably a headwind, cold etc.

4uLpwct.jpg

160km possible range :eek:. I'm sure I could get a Tesla to perform equally as badly :D.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

* Skoda Enyaq - bigger battery version will have the range, but not sure yet about spec, price or availability.

Save ya the bother on this one. Enyaq < ID4, which you've ruled out.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Seems like the classic E-niro vs M3 debate.

I would include the ID3 if its size works for you too. I don't think it's overpriced TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Why no used Model S, circa 2015 vintage would be equal in range to a SR+ Model 3 for way less money

Oh, see it's #1 on your list, I was in the same boat and that's what I chose, the other cars may be functional etc but nothing excites like a Tesla

slave1 wrote: »
    Oh, see it's #1 on your list, I was in the same boat and that's what I chose, the other cars may be functional etc but nothing excites like a Tesla

Love the car but a few issues. One, my wife couldn't drive it. Just too big to for her on our wee Donegal roads. Two, one of my main reasons to change is the issue of having an out of warranty car. The potential to have a few grands worth of repairs hit makes me nervous.

Plus seeing what unkel and ELM327 have gone through put the final nail in the head.

I know unkel will no doubt be along in a while to tell me off, but an out of warranty Tesla is a rich man's choice. And while I'm doing OK, I'm certainly not rich enough for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Tesla currently have a discounted brand new SR+ in inventory currently , approx 2k off I think, so around 45k for a private buyer, its the current version not the refresh car

Love the car but a few issues. One, my wife couldn't drive it. Just too big to for her on our wee Donegal roads. Two, one of my main reasons to change is the issue of having an out of warranty car. The potential to have a few grands worth of repairs hit makes me nervous.

Plus seeing what unkel and ELM327 have gone through put the final nail in the head.

I know unkel will no doubt be along in a while to tell me off, but an out of warranty Tesla is a rich man's choice. And while I'm doing OK, I'm certainly not rich enough for that.

I hear you, I'm happy with my S that came with 2.5yrs warranty, peace of mind I suppose

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Like ELM327 says, I wouldn't get near 250km year round in the Ioniq. 180 would be closer to reality I suspect. Plus that would result in higher reliance on the network, and the crappy charge speed would come into play.

And it's the northern ireland network... Which you know all too well. Although on the belfast run there is 2 fast chargers on the way home, or 3 if you can make it to derry, which has its own restrictions.

In the next few years we will have the drumahoe- dungiven dual carriage way, then also the castle dawson -toome bit should be open too. So a lot more 70mph (112km/h) driving.

Really happy with the e-niro. But if changing now I'd be temped with the id4 as it's just over 42k.

Run to belfast in the summer got us home with 20% left.

(Oh and that 500 euro SuperValu voucher is running again this year lol)

I wouldnt go anywhere near the ID range. For me, picking with my head in your scenario phil I'd be looking towards the Soul and the Niro. If you have a preference between those two then I'd pick that one.

If you're allowing your heart/emotion decide then the Tesla SR is the one.

Agreed, it looks like Kia are the only realistic option. The M3 is more expensive, less range and shorter warranty. Sexier no doubt, but not the wise choice.

I don't think I could live with the looks of the Soul. And being practical, when it comes to selling on next there will be a lot of potential buyers who will think the same way.

Next question is how to get there. I have the value of my i3 (going by online ads that should be anywhere from €18-20k).

Ideally I'd like to put about €10k towards the next car and finance the rest.

I'm sure Phil at Electric Autos could source me something in the UK in order to get the higher spec.

The UK has so many better options, not only in terms of spec, but lease deals etc for NHS staff (like me). But I haven't found anyone yet who has successfully imported a lease car although apparently there is a VRT process for doing so.

That budget would buy you a new top spec Soul K3, which retail around 32k
    Probably get a better deal on an ex demo / nearly new from the likes of Electric Autos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

MG ZS EV? I cannot get over the value for money on these. Saw someone importing a 6M old one for ~€25K. Just another option to throw in. Think they also have an estate MG5 EV.

I hear you mentioning the UK, tick tock...

Going to play devils advocate, can you rethink your i3, faults and all, any repairs will certainly be less than the premium you will be paying for a new car, you won't get the value of the i3 on trade in or private sale and it sounds like you are more put out when things go wrong rather than the financial side of things, plenty going wrong with all those new EVs too if you read all the other threads.
    Put your money into more PV panels;)

• Advertisement

I hear you mentioning the UK, tick tock...

Going to play devils advocate, can you rethink your i3, faults and all, any repairs will certainly be less than the premium you will be paying for a new car, you won't get the value of the i3 on trade in or private sale and it sounds like you are more put out when things go wrong rather than the financial side of things, plenty going wrong with all those new EVs too if you read all the other threads.
    Put your money into more PV panels;)
    Maybe he's bored of it. I can empathize!

I'm still undecided. I could stick or twist at this point. I just don't like having a car that at a moment's notice could sh*t the bed and leave me with a bill for thousands. I'll likely be out 700ish for the few relatively minor issues I've just had on the i3.

A 1 year old Kia with 6 more years of confidence certainly has its attraction.

Smck1983 wrote: »
    MG ZS EV? I cannot get over the value for money on these. Saw someone importing a 6M old one for ~€25K. Just another option to throw in. Think they also have an estate MG5 EV.
    The MG doesn't have the range, and it looks even cheaper than the Kona.

ELM327 wrote: »
    That budget would buy you a new top spec Soul K3, which retail around 32k
    Probably get a better deal on an ex demo / nearly new from the likes of Electric Autos too.
    Yeah as I say I'm not sure I could live with the looks of the Soul. I've had a L24 and an i3. Time for something a bit more normal.

Maybe he's bored of it. I can empathize!
    Nah not bored, just fancy some warranty based peace of mind. Also a little sick of explaining the difference between it and a self charging hybrid...

Nah not bored, just fancy some warranty based peace of mind. Also a little sick of explaining the difference between it and a self charging hybrid...

"So how often do you have to put petrol in it? :D

Yes its full electric, - how far does it go on a charge...."

We'll get there...

The MG doesn't have the range, and it looks even cheaper than the Kona.

Yeah as I say I'm not sure I could live with the looks of the Soul. I've had a L24 and an i3. Time for something a bit more normal.

Does it not self charge? :eek:

Does it not self charge? :eek:

tenor.gif?itemid=5750965

With regards to Brexit/import, if I managed to get a car bought and VRT'd by December then it would essentially appreciate in value a month later due to the end of the cheap import days.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

What about the other MG, the 5? This guy uploaded a motorway test of it a few weeks ago. Temperature was 9 degrees on roads that were wet from previous rain - he covered 115 miles in under 2 hours and got 3.1 miles/kWh overall. He reckoned that on the motorway it'll manage just over 160 miles on a charge, so if you start with 100% it just about meets your 250km range requirement.

You might need to cruise at 70 rather than 75 in the very worst conditions, but since the Dungiven bypass isn't going to be finished until 2023 and there'll be a 15 miles of 30/40mph restrictions while that's ongoing, you're still some way from being able to drive the entire Derry-Belfast trip at 70. Plus I don't think you get any other stretch of dual carriageway from Derry to Castledawson - just climbing lanes or 2+1 IIRC? So you probably won't be doing the full 125kmh until halfway along the trip in any case, unless you're not bothered about the boys in blue.

In terms of living with it, it seems the interior is decent quality, but it lacks adaptive cruise and there's no sunroof, if either of those matter.

With regards to Brexit/import, if I managed to get a car bought and VRT'd by December then it would essentially appreciate in value a month later due to the end of the cheap import days.

I think that's a null point as every car will appreciate come Jan 1st

• Advertisement

mr chips wrote: »

You might need to cruise at 70 rather than 75 in the So you probably won't be doing the full 125kmh until halfway along the trip in any case, unless you're not bothered about the boys in blue.

Speed limit in the north is only 70(112km/h) so your a long way from 125km/h

Advertisement