Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Nevers [Joss Whedon - HBO]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given how Whedons distinctive dialogue style has been so copied and become so prevalent, it'll be weird to return to the originating source so to speak. Though not sure the Victorian era will quite suit his manner. Maybe he'll refine it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was wondering where the actors from other Whedon shows were. Turns out it's Olivia Williams, not Oliver Williams. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was wondering where the actors from other Whedon shows were. Turns out it's Olivia Williams, not Oliver Williams. :)

:o

Will it be filmed in the UK given most of the cast is UK or Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Fingers crossed for Anthony Head in a recurring role of some sort, assuming there's no bad blood between himself and Joss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

pixelburp wrote: »
    Given how Whedons distinctive dialogue style has been so copied and become so prevalent, it'll be weird to return to the originating source so to speak. Though not sure the Victorian era will quite suit his manner. Maybe he'll refine it.

I'm sure he will have to tweak it a bit so it isn't as jarring in relation to the period but he will still have to keep the Whedon style. Strong female characters and funny, relatable dialogue is what he is known for.

But I'm just wondering how this will be perceived today. Whedon has been out of the loop for quite some time (So much so that I was beginning to think he might have been black-listed due to some undisclosed "Me Too" type scandal). He has been off TV since Dollhouse I think.

His dialogue then was sharp, witty and unlike most dialogue on TV at the time. I believe he can still write but I wonder will he be a victim of his own success. Will he be considered just another unoriginal quippy writer to a generation raised on Post-Buffy dialogue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm sure he will have to tweak it a bit so it isn't as jarring in relation to the period but he will still have to keep the Whedon style. Strong female characters and funny, relatable dialogue is what he is known for.

But I'm just wondering how this will be perceived today. Whedon has been out of the loop for quite some time (So much so that I was beginning to think he might have been black-listed due to some undisclosed "Me Too" type scandal). He has been off TV since Dollhouse I think.

His dialogue then was sharp, witty and unlike most dialogue on TV at the time. I believe he can still write but I wonder will he be a victim of his own success. Will he be considered just another unoriginal quippy writer to a generation raised on Post-Buffy dialogue.

Not sure if it was full on #metoo, but his ex-wife penned an essay where she accused Whedon of having affairs over their marriage; he apparently admitted to her that the first affair was during production of Buffy, pleading temptation. I'd say he deliberately took a backseat to avoid blowback.

As to his craft, I dunno; as you say, I think Whedon falls under the classic problem of the progenitor, who has spawned so many imitators and offshoots, he now retroactively seems derivative. And he was a writer who dug into a very narrow, specific bag of tropes more often than not - that The Nevers seems to be returning to that exact same bag of tricks is a little disappointing, if unsurprising.

Mind you, I love a show like Killjoys, whose own dialogue can be traced back to Whedon's own, so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

pixelburp wrote: »
    Not sure if it was full on #metoo, but his ex-wife penned an essay where she accused Whedon of having affairs over their marriage; he apparently admitted to her that the first affair was during production of Buffy, pleading temptation. I'd say he deliberately took a backseat to avoid blowback.

As to his craft, I dunno; as you say, I think Whedon falls under the classic problem of the progenitor, who has spawned so many imitators and offshoots, he now retroactively seems derivative. And he was a writer who dug into a very narrow, specific bag of tropes more often than not - that The Nevers seems to be returning to that exact same bag of tricks is a little disappointing, if unsurprising.

Mind you, I love a show like Killjoys, whose own dialogue can be traced back to Whedon's own, so who knows.

Ah, that explains it (Plus, he was tied up with Marvel for quite some time).

Yeah, that was actually the point I was trying to make (You made it better). My fear is that people will think: "Oh, it's kind of like a Victorian Killjoys - the way they speak. Meh".

Well, it's early days yet. I mean we know next to nothing about the show. Who knows how it's going to turn out. It has been some time since he has been on TV. He has being script-doctoring for decades. (Had a long-running battle to be credited on Toy Story. Rewrote so much as a script-doctor that he classified as a co-writer. Basically created Rex and Hamm). He will, presumably, be writing for an older audience given the fact it's on HBO. He will have the budget and creative freedom he wants. I'm assuming they will want some of the Whedon-verse style but I don't think they will be talking like 1990's teenage valley-kids.

I'm kind of thinking of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" At one stage you had characters speaking Shakespearean English while they basically translate to eachother.

I am interested in this. As long as it doesn't revert to 90's Whedon.

On a side note: Age of Ultron was on TV recently. I caught the 2nd half. Ultron's dialogue stuck our like a sore thumb. Not really in a good or bad way. Just stuck out. He was very obviously a Whedon character: Cross between Buffy, Faith, a little bit of Xander and a little bit of Mal Reynolds. So, yeah, dial that back a bit in the series.

Wasn't he meant to be doing a DC movie. I know he came in to finish Justice League, but I think he was lined up to do a Batgirl movie. But with DC's bad movie handling that likely changed

Wasn't he meant to be doing a DC movie. I know he came in to finish Justice League, but I think he was lined up to do a Batgirl movie. But with DC's bad movie handling that likely changed

Naw he left BatGirl, claiming he couldn't make the story work. Though I wouldn't rule out DC continuing their trend of just being weird.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/joss-whedon-batgirl-why-he-left-1202784808/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is this due out in the Autumn (found it very difficult not to say Fall just there)? Have pretty low expectations for this which is odd given that 10/15/20 years ago I thought the man could do no wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is this due out in the Autumn (found it very difficult not to say Fall just there)? Have pretty low expectations for this which is odd given that 10/15/20 years ago I thought the man could do no wrong.

No, if they're only filming now and it sounds like there might be special effects involved, it'll be 2020. Think I'd heard it'd be 2020 anyway when it was announced a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That makes sense given the cast has just been released. Not sure why I thought it could be this year.

Joss tweeted on July 4th that they had just started principal photography
    https://twitter.com/joss/status/1146842838086410245

And according to Laura Donnelly on Tuesday they've been working for a while
    https://twitter.com/donnellylaura1/status/1156276460258320384

Isn't it a Whedon show? Be strange to have the creator leave the show before it's starts airing. Though I guess a number of episodes could be finished already by this point.
    At least Bryan Fuller lasts 1 season before he leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder has this anything to do with the Fisher investigation.

I wonder has this anything to do with the Fisher investigation.

Whedon claims exhaustion from the pandemic in his communication about stepping down. To be fair, that's a legit reason for anyone to take a break - but the above was my wondering too, if the Justice League fallout was part of this ..

Philippa Goslett Named As Showrunner Of HBO Sci-Fi Drama Following Joss Whedon’s Departure
    Philippa Goslett, the British filmmaker behind features Mary Magdalene and How To Talk To Girls At Parties, has taken over showrunning duties for HBO sci-fi drama The Nevers.

She replaces Joss Whedon, who exited the series in November, after he said that the physical challenges of making such a “huge” show was more than he could handle “without the work beginning to suffer”.

It marks Goslett’s first major television gig, having previously developed projects for FX, the BBC and Channel 4. Other film credits include Robert Pattinson-fronted Little Ashes.

She will also exec produce alongside Jane Espenson, Doug Petrie, Ilene S. Landress, Bernadette Caulfield. Whedon remains credited as creator and exec producer.......

https://deadline.com/2021/01/the-nevers-philippa-goslett-showrunner-hbo-sci-fi-drama-joss-whedon-departure-1234682519/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,751 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

New show due april on HBO looks interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

First comment on YouTube: "So .....what it only affects hot ladies?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Joss Whedon show

Great to see MMA in the Victorian era.

Before the punch to the groin, I was sure she would was going for the 24/7 title with that roll up.

I'll be checking it out anyway. Hopefully it's good

Wow, I kinda hated that. Dunno if it was just the trailer and how things are cut, but the Whedon-flavoured smugness got too much. Plus I think I'm just past Whedon's "ass-kicking waifs" and Steampunk in general.

Will chalk this up to "the reviews will want to be really good" as to whether I'll bother looking in on it.

Just outta curiosity, what other steam punk things have you watched lately? Didn't think it was a common genre. I know there are a lot set in that kind of era these days but rarely steampunk

Just outta curiosity, what other steam punk things have you watched lately? Didn't think it was a common genre. I know there are a lot set in that kind of era these days but rarely steampunk

It's not common on TV in fairness, but it was everywhere within genre fiction of novels, comics, games (to a lesser extent) not too long ago; so I'm a bit saturated by dint of that angle.

Not watched lately but my favorite steampunk tv show is The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the last few Steampunk tv shows I have watched were Carnival Row, Dracula and Penny Dreadful with 2 of them having been filmed in Dublin

The league of extraordinary x women :p

• Advertisement

First 6 episodes released weekly from April 11th

Advertisement