Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article: Best/Worst Places to Be in the Coronavirus Era. Ireland ranks 20th

• 25-11-2020 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

Via Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-resilience-ranking/

The top 20 graph here https://preview.redd.it/svy8ur8yhb161.png?width=923&format=png&auto=webp&5cb9802d

The article lets you see their full top 53 when you click "see more"

I'm not sure about the pedigree of this article tbh.

Indonesia? Seriously? The place with lowest testing among countries with 100 million + population is one of the top 20 safest and it's safer than Ireland? Nah

As Covid-19 has spread around the world, it’s challenged preconceptions about which places would best tackle the worst public health crisis in a generation.

Advanced economies like the U.S. and U.K., ranked by various pre-2020 measures as being the most prepared for a pandemic, have been repeatedly overwhelmed by infections and face a return to costly lockdowns.

Meanwhile, other countries—even developing nations—have defied expectations, some all but eliminating the pathogen within their borders.
    Bloomberg crunched the numbers to determine the best places to be in the coronavirus era: where has the virus been handled most effectively with the least amount of disruption to business and society?

svy8ur8yhb161.png?width=923&format=png&auto=webp&5cb9802d
    svy8ur8yhb161.png?width=923&format=png&auto=webp&5cb9802d

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Indonesia? Seriously? The place with lowest testing among countries with 100 million + population is one of the top 20 safest and it's safer than Ireland? Nah

They're probably testing for useful things like pre diabetes, early stage cancer, obesity.
    Testing isn't the solution it's the problem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

They're probably testing for useful things like pre diabetes, early stage cancer, obesity.
    Testing isn't the solution it's the problem..

You're probably the most mis-informed poster on here

And that's saying something

Play the ball not that man. Ireland is a crappy place to be at the moment and I doubt i'm the only one who knows it.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    You're probably the most mis-informed poster on here

And that's saying something

Your link even says we're the worst on that graph:confused:

You should have pointed out I was meant to disagree with it's findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Play the ball not that man. Ireland is a crappy place to be at the moment and I doubt i'm the only one who knows it.

i'd rather be here than for example the UK or USA right now.

• Advertisement

Why not just say Ireland are 20th of 53? Isn’t negative enough

Your link even says we're the worst on that graph:confused:

You should have pointed out I was meant to disagree with it's findings.

Do you ever read anything past the headline? If you did you may actually become informed

Do you ever read any my thing past the headline? If you did you may actually become informed

Do you ever contribute to a thread or is it a full time job following people around to give them a pain in the arse.

Play the ball not the man surprised I've had to say that twice in the first few posts of a new thread.

Do you ever contribute to a thread or is it a full time job following people around to give them a pain in the arse.

Play the ball not the man surprised I've had to say that twice in the first few posts of a new thread.

Are we the worst in the link? No. Ergo you only read the headline and didn’t inform yourself. So I played the ball, the misinformed point you made

• Registered Users Posts: 8,112 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's a shıte state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any fùcking difference...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Were last in top 20, that's a peculiar way of saying we're in the top 20 out of 53 countries in a list by Bloomberg, fcukin hell aren't things bad enough without pessimistic shìt like this, you should be writing for the sun with a headline like that

• Registered Users Posts: 27,384 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We appear to be ranked 5th out of the EU nations.

But apparently we are also last at some arbitrary cut off point.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Are we the worst in the link? No. Ergo you only read the headline and didn’t inform yourself. So I played the ball, the misinformed point you made

Shine said the top 20, I replied as if we were talking about the Top 20. Seriously grab a hold of yourself China is 8th and were 20. You played nothing only your usual tripe.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread title amended to make it less sensationalist/click-bait(ey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Why not just say Ireland are 20th of 53? Isn’t negative enough

Were last in top 20, that's a peculiar way of saying we're in the top 20 out of 53 countries in a list by Bloomberg, fcukin hell aren't things bad enough without pessimistic shìt like this, you should be writing for the sun with a headline like that

- There's only so many characters you can fit into a Boards thread title. The one here maxed it out

- That aside, I clearly say in my opening lines

The article lets you see their full top 53 when you click "see more"

There's some serious mental gymnastics going on here so people can start their hourly online aggro

Moving along swiftly, Curacao, Ibiza, Porto Cervo, change my mind!
    No way would NZ make my number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

froog wrote: »
    i'd rather be here than for example the UK or USA right now.

you are both be right.
    Ireland is a ****ty place at the min but I agree UK is worse

But the comparison is a kinda of tallest dwarf contest

USA is huge and many places are fine - so I don't accept that

Advertisement