Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ooni pizza ovens & accessories thread

• 25-11-2020 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭

Not an ideal time of the year weather-wise to be buying one of these things, but if you've been thinking about one of these... now's a good time to pull the trigger.

I picked up the Fyra for the princely sum of €207:
    https://eu.ooni.com/collections/ovens/products/ooni-fyra
    Post edited by Sheep Shagger on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

So tempted by the Koda 16 with €90 off it now. I have been thinking about getting one for months.

Delivery available for March

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Why, oh why did you tempt me.
    I've spent the last half hour telling myself that I would never use it.

They look great - only limit is the use of it. I don't eat THAT many pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Ardent

Why, oh why did you tempt me.
    I've spent the last half hour telling myself that I would never use it.

They look great - only limit is the use of it. I don't eat THAT many pizzas.

Ha ha, I had the same conversations with myself!

We have a Friday ritual with the kids here that consists of movie + pizza. Normally we get the pizzas from a local restaurant but we've been disappointed with the quality recently.

At the end of the day, I bought it for myself more than anything - I need a distraction from lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Would love one.. but it'd end up gathering dust after the initial novelty wears off like most non-essential lust items I buy.

I bet if I tasted a pizza off one and loved it... I'd be in like Flynn. I'm not even gonna click the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

If anyone needs any slight push to invest in one... you won't regret it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Wife and I promised this to each other for Xmas, I was waiting for their black Friday offer and it hasn't disappointed, ooni Koda for €224, Christmas stress over

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭epopnomis

succumbed to the bargain, went for the gas one seems less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ms vieria

Careful Ooni Koda isn't shipping to Ireland until March 21. Prob when you would start to use it but better to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Yep saw that, wasn't planning on making any January pizzas... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

tempted to get the Gas one.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 colinmis

Wasn't planning on buying on but not sure i can resist..... what do people recommend, the Fyra or Koda?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

So close to picking up a Karu, we have talking about it for ages now. It doesn't rely on pellets and I can add a gas fitting to it later if needed.

I imagine that the gas one would (a) use a significant amount, and also (b) not taste authentic like the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Ardent

...not taste authentic like the wood.

This is the reason I went with the Fyra. For me it's all about the wood-fired experience and taste.

So.. what are people doing when they need to re-stock on wood pellets?

Damn you boards bargain alerts! Just purchased the Karu. :D

I have been talking about getting one since the summer though. Wanted a wood burning one and have a shed load of hardwood. Now I need a gazebo of some sort so I can use it in all weathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

jpb1974 wrote: »
    So.. what are people doing when they need to re-stock on wood pellets?

you can buy them on the same site
    https://eu.ooni.com/collections/accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Remember folks with Karu you can always move to gas if you struggle with wood ! Either way already have a karu and had to get a gas attachment...much easy to manage....!

Remember folks with Karu you can always move to gas if you struggle with wood ! Either way already have a karu and had to get a gas attachment...much easy to manage....!

Any reason you felt you had to move to gas? Was it not usable with wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

SteM wrote: »
    Any reason you felt you had to move to gas? Was it not usable with wood?

I used it with wood for 2-3 months with great results however it was difficult to manage stretching, baking and putting wood to maintain heat....removed the maintain heat aspect to make it more manageable ! At times oven temp would go down if you dont put wood in advance...or it would go too high if you put too much !

Otherwise no difference...great pizzas both options !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Ordered the 12" Koda

I was debating whether to go for the Koda or the Fyra for flavour but there is an arguement that wood can't impart that much flavour in one minute and the smoke typically runs along the roof of the oven.

In the end I went for gas because if it's too fiddly I won't use it that often!

Ordered from the UK site because they offer delivery before Christmas with the Ireland gas regulator whilst the European site offers delivery in March for the same oven

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I have a koda and have been practicing since April. I’ve done a huge amount of research and the general consensus is you can’t taste the difference because you’re cooking on a stone for 90 seconds odd.

I will say I regret not getting the 16 for the extra width and little extra height, however once you try and start making pizza, you’ll find 16 inches is MASSIVE and hard to handle/get right

I think the Karu is probably best of both worlds, but gas is definitely the cleaner quicker option when you want pizza at short notice!

Don’t forget also, you can bake naan, bagels, bread, pan pizzas, fry steaks, veg etc etc in them, not just pizza!

Kevin! wrote: »
    Ordered the 12" Koda

I was debating whether to go for the Koda or the Fyra for flavour but there is an arguement that wood can't impart that much flavour in one minute and the smoke typically runs along the roof of the oven.

In the end I went for gas because if it's too fiddly I won't use it that often!

Ordered from the UK site because they offer delivery before Christmas with the Ireland gas regulator whilst the European site offers delivery in March for the same oven

Whats the UK site address?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

you can buy them on the same site
    https://eu.ooni.com/collections/accessories

Oonis own brand pellets are pretty expensive, Woodies have 15kg bags for 11 euro. They are glue and binder free so while not labeled 'food grade' they are still fine for cooking pizzas. A bag lasts around 50-60 pizza cooks
    https://www.woodies.ie/stafford-wood-pellets-15kg-365383

Ordered the Koda, thanks OP. now to look for recipes, peels and pizza cutters

One bite, everyone knows the rules.

Irishder wrote: »
    Whats the UK site address?

Just click on the link in the OP and choose the UK flag at the top of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tyler66

I already bought it for myself.

Ugh, I'm hovering over the trigger.

Wood seems handy for portability I just admit, versus the gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Just noticed the march delivery..... Ugh

Have requested to cancel and will order off the UK site

Advertisement