Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bbc iplayer

• 22-12-2019 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

just asking why i cant watch BBCiPlayer even with a VPN am i missing something

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Is there a way to get the app rather than watching in a browser?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hey everyone,

I'm using express VPN which will stream on the phone and laptop with no issues, however when I try using chromecast to play on the TV it wont work. It'll bring up the BBC iplayer home screen or programme thumbnail, but won't actually play any further. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Connacht15

Hey everyone,

I'm using express VPN which will stream on the phone and laptop with no issues, however when I try using chromecast to play on the TV it wont work. It'll bring up the BBC iplayer home screen or programme thumbnail, but won't actually play any further. Any ideas?

I have been using Express VPN for a few moths and could access the relevant iplayer through any of its 4 mainland services.
    They have obviously sussed out this VPN as I no longer have access to this iplayer.
    I contacted Express and they said their technical people are aware of the issue and are working on it.
    Obviously, this iplayer site and the live site are 2 of the most important media sites to us in Ireland.

• OmegaGene wrote: »
    Smart dns is the best option, in 3 years I haven’t had an issue

That’s good to hear.

I just looked there and it seems it’s through the router.

I use express VPN and while it’s good it’s not bombproof for the iplayer. Every now and again it gets sussed and you have to wait for them to provide new locations.

What I do like about it is the simple way you can turn it on and off or change location.

What is smart dns like in that respect. It sounds like it’s more of a permanent thing rather than something you turn on and off from desktop.

Sorry if the question doesn’t make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I would love to access the BBC iplayer. I downloaded many programmes while in London. It's far superior to RTE player which I have had a lot of problems with.

Is there a fee for these VPNs. Is there a risk on using them eg spyware or malware etc.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I would love to access the BBC iplayer. I downloaded many programmes while in London. It's far superior to RTE player which I have had a lot of problems with.

Is there a fee for these VPNs. Is there a risk on using them eg spyware or malware etc.

Thanks.

Most are around €10 pr month on a monthly renewable subscription with substantial discounts for half yearly and yearly.
    They are great for accessing foreign TV stations (with English Language Programmes and films) and for language learning resources through foreign media.
    I use Express VPN Google it however as I said for the time being access to the Beebs Iplayer is blocked on it, you can get C4 All4 and ITV and their iplayers using it and I presume C5.
    It boasts that you can access the Netflix categories of other countries also, though I dont have Netflix so I cant verify that yet!

Connacht15 wrote: »
    Most are around €10 pr month on a monthly renewable subscription with substantial discounts for half yearly and yearly.
    They are great for accessing foreign TV stations (with English Language Programmes and films) and for language learning resources through foreign media.
    I use Express VPN Google it however as I said for the time being access to the Beebs Iplayer is blocked on it, you can get C4 All4 and ITV and their iplayers using it and I presume C5.
    It boasts that you can access the Netflix categories of other countries also, though I dont have Netflix so I cant verify that yet!

There is no need for a VPN for Channel 4 player. It's available in ROI.

RTE should have hired those who designed the Channel 4 payer to design the RTE player which is a mess, programmes constantly stop and no download facility. I never had these problems on Channel 4. Also I just love the 4 ident. It stood the test of time.

Mr.S wrote: »
    The Channel 4 app isn't much better imo.

iPlayer is what they should base it on!

I find the channel 4 app excellent. BBC I player seem to erase a lot of programmes from I player.

RTE told me they were planning (pre covid)on revamping the player and this was only a year or to after it was previously revamped.

Of course you couldnt compare BBCs bugeet to RTE

There is no need for a VPN for Channel 4 player. It's available in ROI.

RTE should have hired those who designed the Channel 4 payer to design the RTE player which is a mess, programmes constantly stop and no download facility. I never had these problems on Channel 4. Also I just love the 4 ident. It stood the test of time.

I have seen iplayers from TV stations all over the world and the RTE Version is absolutely unique because it is so diabolical!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think all catchup TV services are cr*p. The interface is one of the biggest problems. It's so hard to find what you want because they'd prefer to have media rich interlaces to make it look snazzy, where if they just had a simple searchable text based interface it wouldn't be such a pain to navigate around.

Having said that, I find iPlayer to be the best of them all. Even iPlayer over a VPN works better for me than RTE player here in Ireland. Go figure.

edit: Oh, on VPN's, I have never used one that works permanently for iPlayer. IP addresses at the BBC end are blocked once they have reason to believe it's not an authentic one, i.e a VPN IP address. Your VPN provider has to change the IP address they use to get it to work again and the cat and mouse cycle beings again.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think all catchup TV services are cr*p. The interface is one of the biggest problems. It's so hard to find what you want because they'd prefer to have media rich interlaces to make it look snazzy, where if they just had a simple searchable text based interface it wouldn't be such a pain to navigate around.

Having said that, I find iPlayer to be the best of them all. Even iPlayer over a VPN works better for me than RTE player here in Ireland. Go figure.

edit: Oh, on VPN's, I have never used one that works permanently for iPlayer. IP addresses at the BBC end are blocked once they have reason to believe it's not an authentic one, i.e a VPN IP address. Your VPN provider has to change the IP address they use to get it to work again and the cat and mouse cycle beings again.

Which VPN do you recommend and what does it cost if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Which VPN do you recommend and what does it cost if anything.

Funnily enough, I recommend one only this week. Check it out; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114457683&postcount=1936

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Am using VPN Unlimited by Keepsolid on Macs and Firestick for last 2 months is fantastic for iplayer , cost 16 Euro for life (is 34 now I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ArdLix11

Hi when setting up an account for BBC do you put in Ireland or the UK for region or does it matter. Was wondering what affect this would have on accessing content. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Simon201

Think it's better to use a UK postcode... I use a service called https://www.premiumize.me/ and has worked quite well over a few years. It would be priced about the same as other VPN's but it has a few extra services which are real handy but probably best not to go into here!

I have it set so I can turn it on globally on my computer which is then a wifi hotspot for my LG tv and run iPlayer on that which works brilliant. Even watched some 'His Dark Materials' in 4k recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joejopper

I can’t access content on bbc iplayer through iPad.

I Changed the location on the iPad to the UK which allowed me to download the bbc iplayer app.

Registered with new account on iplayer and submitted a UK address. Clicked to watch a live programme, a question appeared asking if I had a valid tv licence. I selected yes, then a message appears saying I can’t watch as I’m not in the UK.

Anyone have any suggestions to get around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Use a VPN or Smart DNS

lertsnim wrote: »
    Use a VPN or Smart DNS

Which is the best Vpn or Dns. Are there any risks eg malware? Is there a charge?

Advertisement