Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Allow GAA extended panels at matches?

• 25-11-2020 1:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭

https://twitter.com/EamonnOHara8/status/1331297473185386496

This was mentioned the other night, it is particularly harsh of GAA not to allow players from number 26-40 attend the matches and watch socially distanced in the stand.

For instance you had nearly 30 Tipperary and Cavan lads who were not allowed into the stadium for their famous wins on Sunday and instead I can only assume watched at home like the rest of us. That is particularly harsh on lads putting everything in since last winter.

This rule I believe is in from GAA HQ not a government or NPHET directive AFAIK.

Surely for semi finals and finals especially in Croke Park, ALL panel members should be accommodated? It can be done safely. You had the spectacle on Sunday of a large amount of journalists and stewards at the matches and I can only assume GAA council officials allowed but not players?

I read on other forums even some family members were at some of the games but I obviously can't verify that or don't know why it would be allowed instead of the players.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You could easily have several thousand fans in Croke Park socially distanced - but there'd be uproar I'm sure.
    Should at least let the panel in though - if they train together its very unlikely that them watching the match from the stands will lead to any infections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

timmyntc wrote: »
    You could easily have several thousand fans in Croke Park socially distanced - but there'd be uproar I'm sure.
    Should at least let the panel in though - if they train together its very unlikely that them watching the match from the stands will lead to any infections.

Yes I agree, when you see the Premier League in England talking re few thousand fans at games in December, the very least we could do is allow full panels of players into an over 82,000 capacity stadium!

I'd absolutely love to attend the semi final games myself when the restrictions are lowered but I can't see that happening, in such a short time frame with how slow things move here and even then the possibility of getting a ticket would be very slim with limited available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Of course the panel should be there. I'd argue they should be allowed in before all the "media" lads are taken into account. If they need space, reduce the media present.

John Kiely made a point about presenting the Munster trophy at training when all the squad was there.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Of course the panel should be there. I'd argue they should be allowed in before all the "media" lads are taken into account. If they need space, reduce the media present.

John Kiely made a point about presenting the Munster trophy at training when all the squad was there.

Interesting you mention the trophy also, I heard the provincial trophies were also taken from the teams after the matches by GAA council officials for "health safety". I don't they got to bring the trophies home to the counties with them. They were told they would get them sometime next year!

Reading comments from Kiely here I fully agree with him and fair play to him for speaking out:

https://www.the42.ie/john-kiely-limerick-hurling-8-5268152-Nov2020/#comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Interesting you mention the trophy also, I heard the provincial trophies were also taken from the teams after the matches by GAA council officials for "health safety". I don't they got to bring the trophies home to the counties with them. They were told they would get them sometime next year!

Reading comments from Kiely here I fully agree with him and fair play to him for speaking out:

https://www.the42.ie/john-kiely-limerick-hurling-8-5268152-Nov2020/#comments

Theres your answer in the article. Reduce the media by 10, seems like far too many to have and seems impossible to implement social distancing with this many interviewing 1 man

We’ve 10 players at home, which in my view is completely and utterly unacceptable, given that I’ve 20 reporters standing in front of me and I’ve 10 of my panel at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Think we all agree with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

James Horan speaking out about it also today,lets hope its sorted in time for both the Hurling and football semis.
    It's rare all of boards will agree on anything but i think this could be it!

Theres your answer in the article. Reduce the media by 10, seems like far too many to have and seems impossible to implement social distancing with this many interviewing 1 man

We’ve 10 players at home, which in my view is completely and utterly unacceptable, given that I’ve 20 reporters standing in front of me and I’ve 10 of my panel at home.

Totally agree, and the media have several ex players there as punditry too. I notice from Eamon O'Haras twitter he was at the Dublin game on Saturday in Croker. I'm not begrudging him as he was probably doing radio coverage but its all a bit farcical.

Also we can be sure most of the suits from Croke Park and 4 provincial councils are attending. I also noticed at some Ulster championship games and others elsewhere, that there was a large amount of stewards that was not necessary at all. Seemed to be the same amount as a normal match.

HBC08 wrote: »
    James Horan speaking out about it also today,lets hope its sorted in time for both the Hurling and football semis.
    It's rare all of boards will agree on anything but i think this could be it!

I haven't seen that but fair play to him for speaking it out, it's hard on the managers as well to tell lads training since last winter they can't even attend the match.

It would be good if the remaining semi final managers speak up now like Kiely and James Horan. It's an easier sell now with remaining games in Croke Park. It would be very hard on All Ireland final day for instance for the full panel not be allowed attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

If i just look at it just from a Mayo point of view theres lads who are still on the panel but not always making the 26 like Seamus O Shea,Tom Parsons,Colm Boyle to name a few.Its crazy that these lads would be watching the semi final on telly,bonkers.
    There's probably similar stories on all panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Totally agree, its a ridiculous situation and there is no need to reduce the media numbers to facilitate it either, its an 82k stadium ffs, madness

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

RTE have said they will decide on this the next time they have a p1ss up in Montrose.

Only us peasants spread the virus it would seem, especially out in the open air breathing and being fit and healthy and all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

HBC08 wrote: »
    If i just look at it just from a Mayo point of view theres lads who are still on the panel but not always making the 26 like Seamus O Shea,Tom Parsons,Colm Boyle to name a few.Its crazy that these lads would be watching the semi final on telly,bonkers.
    There's probably similar stories on all panels.
    It was bonkers more so for the extended panelists of Cavan, Tipperary whom had to watch historic provincial success at home.

I assume this won't be changed for the hurling semi finals by the weekend? Hopefully with restrictions lifted next week, it may change for the football semi finals ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Grats

Each county is allowed to bring along a certain number which includes players, management team, county board officials etc. I wonder could some of the non players element stay at home and allow the remaining panel members to take their places. Could these panel members act as water and hurley carriers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

https://twitter.com/EamonnOHara8/status/1331297473185386496

This was mentioned the other night, it is particularly harsh of GAA not to allow players from number 26-40 attend the matches and watch socially distanced in the stand.

For instance you had nearly 30 Tipperary and Cavan lads who were not allowed into the stadium for their famous wins on Sunday and instead I can only assume watched at home like the rest of us. That is particularly harsh on lads putting everything in since last winter.

This rule I believe is in from GAA HQ not a government or NPHET directive AFAIK.

Surely for semi finals and finals especially in Croke Park, ALL panel members should be accommodated? It can be done safely. You had the spectacle on Sunday of a large amount of journalists and stewards at the matches and I can only assume GAA council officials allowed but not players?

I read on other forums even some family members were at some of the games but I obviously can't verify that or don't know why it would be allowed instead of the players.
    Why? We are reducing travel. They dont need to be there. Entry to ground should be for all those necessary for a game to take place. A player not togged out for a game. Not named in a match day squad isnt necessary for a game to take place.
    The journalists are there to help those who are not get to see the game, report on the game. Without them lot more wouldnt get a sense of the game/to see the game so how do you cut them

What media exactly do you cut though?

Advertisement