Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric vehicles stocks

• 23-11-2020 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭

2020 will be remembered for a long long time to come for sure, for me it will be the insane electric vehicle stocks that I've been lucky enough to be part of ha. Anyways we already got a Tesla and NIO thread, throw in any discussion on other EV stocks in here please.

Other EV stock's I'm in are NIU (Chinese scooters), Hyliion (USA company retrofitting lorrys), and more recently Solo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

There’s a SPAC to be completed by the end of the year for Romeo. Ticker symbol $RMG

I’m not too much into electric vehicles investing but could be of interest for some here

https://romeopower.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Timmaay wrote: »
    2020 will be remembered for a long long time to come for sure, for me it will be the insane electric vehicle stocks that I've been lucky enough to be part of ha. Anyways we already got a Tesla and NIO thread, throw in any discussion on other EV stocks in here please.

Other EV stock's I'm in are NIU (Chinese scooters), Hyliion (USA company retrofitting lorrys), and more recently Solo.

Maybe do a little bit of reading on automobile manufacturers, railway companies and airlines from the previous century. I believ Warren Buffet wrote a piece on auto manufacturers.

The gist of it is that great returns can be made, but the vast majority of companies at the start will not survive and will not make a good investment. Choose carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

McGaggs wrote: »
    Maybe do a little bit of reading on automobile manufacturers, railway companies and airlines from the previous century. I believ Warren Buffet wrote a piece on auto manufacturers.

The gist of it is that great returns can be made, but the vast majority of companies at the start will not survive and will not make a good investment. Choose carefully.

Don't meant to sound patronising, too tired to rewrite that with a better tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

I bought IDEX friday and got more Monday. Good run but surely a bubble.

Also bought BLNK last year @ 2.91 got out last week at 23.19, kept rising to 33 but fell sharply today.

Crazy whats going on at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

XPeng doing savage at the moment. Considering getting in on this Arrival. Very promising British company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

XPeng doing savage at the moment. Considering getting in on this Arrival. Very promising British company.

Please tell me you're just trolling...

McGaggs wrote: »

100% agreed. The current valuations of many EV companies is insane. If you are a beginner investor be very cautious at the minute, don't get caught up in the insane euphoria, and be prepared for the likes of 50% pullbacks. I've largely stopped buying and holding, instead I'm just swing trading pullbacks.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Please tell me you're just trolling...
    They're based in London are they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

They're based in London are they not?

From Wikipedia:
    Xpeng or Xiaopeng Motors, also known as XMotors.ai, is a Chinese electric vehicle manufacturer. The company is headquartered in Guangzhou, with offices in Mountain View, California in the US and is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange. Wikipedia
    Stock price: XPEV (NYSE) US$67.24 -4.93 (-6.83%)
    24 Nov, 14:08 GMT-5 - Disclaimer
    CEO: He Xiaopeng (Aug 2017–)
    Founded: 2014
    Headquarters: Guangzhou, China
    President: Brian Hongdi Gu
    Founders: He Xiaopeng, Xia Heng
    Subsidiaries: Guangzhou Xiaopeng Automotive Technology.

Comhra wrote: »
    From Wikipedia:
    I was talking about Arrival, not XPeng.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I misunderstood. Sorry.

Lol I should of read that properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

With a near worldwide push towards the use of more EVs, its a reasonable expectation that many of these companies will do well, once their tech is good enough.

Perhaps a couple of the companies will go out alone, with Tesla being the most obvious one, but I'm eclectic a few of them to become takeover or merger targets, with old world motor companies looking to buy in the talent, R&D, rather than try to replicate it.

Then there's the political considerations - the Chinese vs the Americans, with neither wanting the other to be overly dominant in the EV space. Russia must surely also be trying to get in on the action, UK too. So what companies get support?

Next up, where does the power come from - Panasonic, Cobalt miners etc. So, should we also be investing on these companies?

Lots of things to think about, and no doubt that there'll be some casualties along the way...

Has anyone looked to see if there are any ETFs for the EV sector and if so, how they are doing? They will most likely offer good diversification across the sector, at low fees.

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    With a near worldwide push towards the use of more EVs, its a reasonable expectation that many of these companies will do well, once their tech is good enough.

Perhaps a couple of the companies will go out alone, with Tesla being the most obvious one, but I'm eclectic a few of them to become takeover or merger targets, with old world motor companies looking to buy in the talent, R&D, rather than try to replicate it.

Then there's the political considerations - the Chinese vs the Americans, with neither wanting the other to be overly dominant in the EV space. Russia must surely also be trying to get in on the action, UK too. So what companies get support?

Next up, where does the power come from - Panasonic, Cobalt miners etc. So, should we also be investing on these companies?

Lots of things to think about, and no doubt that there'll be some casualties along the way...

Has anyone looked to see if there are any ETFs for the EV sector and if so, how they are doing? They will most likely offer good diversification across the sector, at low fees.
    Yeah there are a few ETF's. DRIV is probably the best one and is a strong buy at the moment according to Tradingview.

There's good potential in the charging companies too. SBE would be my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

garrettod wrote: »

iShares ECAR ETF is domiciled in Ireland.

https://www.ishares.com/ch/individual/en/products/307130/ishares-electric-vehicles-and-driving-technology-ucits-etf-usd-acc-fund

Looks like it will be a nice black Friday sale today in the whole EV sector lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Ixlandia

namloc1980 wrote: »

Yes I have gotten into this over a month ago and is up just over 10% in that time. It’s well diversified too. IEVD is the ticker on degiro

Ix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

namloc1980 wrote: »

Some of the companies in that ETF are odd choices, eg. Fiat Chrysler.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Would like to see an etf of just pure EV only companies on the US stock exchanges, so the likes of tesla, fsr, nio, xpeng etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭hottipper

I kinda like this arrival idea NASDAQ:CIIC - seems a tad expensive at the moment though
    There is another one $NGA merging with Lionc https://thelionelectric.com/
    a canadian company confirmed yesterday
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/lion-electric-company-northern-genesis-113000222.html

Kilboor wrote: »
    There’s a SPAC to be completed by the end of the year for Romeo. Ticker symbol $RMG

I’m not too much into electric vehicles investing but could be of interest for some here

https://romeopower.com/

Up 50% since I posted

Up 50% since I posted

Interesting i see they have a contract with lion also
    https://romeopower.com/romeo-power-secures-234mm-multiyear-production-contract-w-lion-electric/

High risk all of these some will turn to dust :)

Looks like the vote on merging is tonight on romero
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/rmg-acquisition-corp-announces-record-204200874.html

its got borg warner (distribution) and republic services (waste management) as major share holders, should have paid attention to this thread earlier risky as hell now.

Picked up some RMG yesterday, looked oversold to me.

Picked up some RMG yesterday, looked oversold to me.

Bought small bit of both NGA and RMG thinking of hyliion also just not yet.

cramer is obviously watching boards for stock picks :pac:

quote:
    If it comes down below $17.50, you can buy it hand over fist, because this one has the best claim to be the son of Tesla,"
    @JimCramer
    said of British EV company Arrival going public via SPAC

https://twitter.com/madmoneyoncnbc/status/1334655007170375682?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

hottipper wrote: »
    cramer is obviously watching boards for stock picks :pac:

quote:
    If it comes down below $17.50, you can buy it hand over fist, because this one has the best claim to be the son of Tesla,"
    @JimCramer
    said of British EV company Arrival going public via SPAC

https://twitter.com/madmoneyoncnbc/status/1334655007170375682?s=21

I don't see Arrival on Degiro? Should it be there?

• Advertisement

cronos wrote: »
    I don't see Arrival on Degiro? Should it be there?

Its a spac - up alot pre market now
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/CIIC/profile?p=CIIC

Advertisement