Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭greasepalm

New figures say heading up again so not plain sailing ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

I wonder if any more info will be released tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I doubt it. A review with anything new would have been based on numbers being a lot better than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ste551

please keep gyms closed

ste551 wrote: »
    please keep gyms closed

Why, out of curiosity?

Nothing to suggest they were an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

please keep gyms closed

I’m hoping the opposite. My partner and I were doing great exercise-wise until lockdown started. It’s too cold and dark for me to go for runs anymore (technically I could but the motivation isn’t there in this weather).

Most of his motivation for going to the gym was the excuse of getting out of the house and feeling good after, I think. Doing it at home is a bit more like a chore.

I’ve gained a serious amount of weight now, and I wasn’t light to start with. If I’m exercising regularly, I feel well enough to have the mental energy to eat healthily. But now, it’s just a diet of junk and I’ve swapped using exercise as a release for comfort food. (I’m not going to stop using food as a coping mechanism either, because that’s something for me and a therapist to unpack and I’m not in a position to start therapy right now.)

I just don’t feel like the risks that come with opening the gyms is a good enough reason to keep them closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Cill94

please keep gyms closed

We'll pass your concerns onto Micheal in our next meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

please keep gyms closed

The weight I've put on during lockdown will probably lead to some health issues over the course of my life. Won't see that reported in any statistic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

JeffKenna wrote: »
    The weight I've put on during lockdown will probably lead to some health issues over the course of my life. Won't see that reported in any statistic though.

That’s your diets fault, not the fact gyms are closed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    That’s your diets fault, not the fact gyms are closed

I'm happier when I can blame someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'm happier when I can blame someone else.

Blame Gene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

I think it is highly likely that gyms will be allowed reopen on 1/2 December.

It is clear that the government want to move to a graded version of level 3 then.

Gyms are surely one of the less contentious elements of level 3 so surely they will be allowed open as planned on 1/2 December.

Enough damage has being done to peoples physical and mental health with 6 weeks of gym closures, I really hope gyms do open then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Both the Sunday Independent and the Sunday Times are reporting that gyms will be included in the list of priority items for reopening on 1 December. As the Sunday Times says ministers want the "government to prioritise reopening “controlled environments” such as gyms, galleries, churches and golf clubs where there had been little evidence of infection".

Looking far more certain that gyms will reopen on 1 December.

road_high wrote: »
    Why? So we can sit at home like vegetables gaining weight and deteriorating physical health? Really sick and tired of these lockdown zealots sticking their busybody noses into everything. If you’re bothered stay at home. And mind your own business

Maybe you should take a walk, relieve some of your tension, lose some of the weight.

Maybe you should take a walk, relieve some of your tension, lose some of the weight.

You never did explain why gyms should be kept closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

It's strange that people are coming in here just to say that they hope gyms stay closed.

Even more so when there are posts in here from people saying they're finding it tough on their mental/physical health.

There's nothing to suggest that gyms were a problem, re-opening them will be a positive to those who use them & to those who don't it don't effect you.

So why bother, just to be a prick is it or?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

DVDM93 wrote: »
    It's strange that people are coming in here just to say that they hope gyms stay closed.

Even more so when there are posts in here from people saying they're finding it tough on their mental/physical health.

There's nothing to suggest that gyms were a problem, re-opening them will be a positive to those who use them & to those who don't it don't effect you.

So why bother, just to be a prick is it or?

One or two of them in the pub thread too. Best ignore them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mod Note: Please don't post in this thread again. This is for constructive discussion about when gyms will reopen. Not a debate on whether they should or not. There's an entire Covid forum for that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Will be interesting to see what it will be like when (if) they reopen in December. It's a busy time of year and everything will be up in the air until Friday it seems.

I have a few weights at home but to be honest found it very hard to motivate myself and maybe did half as much exercise half as regularly as I would in the gym (so a quarter of the overall effort per week). A bigger change could be in terms of cardio fitness - for good or ill I find it a lot easier to hop on a treadmill or bike and let my mind wander than to go for a run in the park or on the streets. I've a funny feeling it will be easier to get back into resistance than cardio as we get closer to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I had almost forgotten about gyms it seems like so long ago I was able to go, but it looks like there's a good chance they could be open next week. When they opened again in July I was down there at 630am to beat the maddening crowds and it was so great to be back, I hope I can do the same next week again. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

I had almost forgotten about gyms it seems like so long ago I was able to go, but it looks like there's a good chance they could be open next week. When they opened again in July I was down there at 630am to beat the maddening crowds and it was so great to be back, I hope I can do the same next week again. Fingers crossed.

Country is going to Level 3, so yeah, they'll be opening again.

Country is going to Level 3, so yeah, they'll be opening again.

I wouldn't take anything for granted yet, in the current climate

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭vafankillar

just seen ben dunne aren't doing a time slot booking system. is that common? the gym i was with had a booking system and temperature check on the way in. no mask wearing being enforced tho which was disappointing.

can't ****ing wait tho tbh, been missing the gym so much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

That's weird about ben dunne because controlling numbers in the gym should be the top priority, or I should say, one of the safety measures that can be implemented 100%.
    <...>
    I’ve gained a serious amount of weight now, and I wasn’t light to start with. If I’m exercising regularly, I feel well enough to have the mental energy to eat healthily. But now, it’s just a diet of junk and I’ve swapped using exercise as a release for comfort food. (I’m not going to stop using food as a coping mechanism either, because that’s something for me and a therapist to unpack and I’m not in a position to start therapy right now.)<...>.

This! I'm surprised with myself how disinterested in diet I become when there's no exercise in my life. Cardio isn't cutting it anymore, I did cycling last lockdown and it kept me going for a while but it did nothing to my strength levels and when I got back into the gym last July, I had to start from 0. Dong nothing this time. I'm not in the happy place.
    please keep gyms closed

Troll. FYI, you should say "keep hospitals closed" instead because they're the real hotspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,993 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Really looking forward to getting back into the gym next week. I'll be one of the first in the door first morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I wished they would have opened sooner. Usually takes me 6 weeks to get back into the swing of things. I'll be looking like a sack of spuds over Christmas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Looking forward to hopefully having our work gym open again. It'll allow me to train on my break. As it stands I'm having to get up at 0530 to train at home, and really - I need all the beauty sleep I can get, so this is not sustainable.

Level 3 obviously does not permit indoor exercise classes, even in pods, so I think that is a challenge for some businesses. I suspect a few businesses will not reopen until we are in level 2 its and they have some comfort we're not likely to be bounced back into lock down in January... Which I doubt will be forthcoming.

Westwood where I go had no booking systems anyway. I'm just going to try and go as early as possible to avoid crowds, it was getting pretty hectic at certain times during the last window of opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

When they re-open, they need to remain open; this sporadic closing is no use to anyone: I'd rather they remain closed than open-close-open-...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Really looking forward to getting back into the gym next week. I'll be one of the first in the door first morning!

Our gym has timetable up on the app but you can only book two days in advance, I'd be booking 14 sessions a week otherwise, things are getting desperate.
    I wished they would have opened sooner. Usually takes me 6 weeks to get back into the swing of things. I'll be looking like a sack of spuds over Christmas.

6 weeks! It took me 3months to get into it properly again last time, I only started seeing positive changes in my body after that long, so goodbye xmas party dress body this time, that's for sure :D

Advertisement