Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Games of PS4/Xbox1 era

Options
  • 20-11-2020 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Now that Xbox One and PS4 have moved from current generation to previous, what games do you think stand out as the best of the era?

For me, off the top of my head, it's probably The Witcher 3, Control, Days Gone, Firewatch, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 2 and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Last Guardian.

/end thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

ori and the blind forest/ will of the wisps, hollow knight, the witcher 3,god of war, sekiro, bloodborne, doom and resident evil remake

everything else was either a massive open world filler collectathons ( majority of sony exclusives), a battle royale clone or a poor imitation of from software games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

For me my top three of this generation would be God of War, Sekiro and Overwatch.

A lot of games nipping at their heels though, like Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, Resident Evil 2 and I'd even throw Rocket League in there.

Also Switch titles should be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Off the top of my head: God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Persona 5, Tetris Effect, Nier Automata, Witcher 3, Rocket League, Titanfall 2, Resident Evil 2.

Probably forgetting a good few, never played From Soft games & never bought an Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon games.

Forza Motorsport is an excellent circuit racer and in Forza Horizon, drive anything you like and go wherever the road takes you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And resident evil remake shouldn't count as it's a rerelease of a gamecube game.

apologies I meant RE2 remake not the RE

Prey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just sticking with games released on those two consoles...

Outer Wilds - the game of the generation, and fairly comfortably. An epic, beautiful, intelligent evolution of story-focused but player-driven art

Return of the Obra Dinn - OK, maybe game of the generation is a draw.

Kentucky Route Zero - so many years in the making, but the result is a moving, mysterious journey through what ails America (and what makes it special too - that music in particular).

Bloodborne - From Software's masterpiece. While Sekiro comes incredibly close in so many ways, the sheer eerie horror of Yarnham will always pack that extra punch.

The Last Guardian - That this is now playable in smooth 60 FPS does away with the only serious complaint I had with Team ICO's staggeringly ambitious and wonderfully successful opus.

Tetris Effect -
    I'm yours forever
    There is no end in sight for us
    Nothing could measure
    The kind of strength inside our hearts
    It's all connected

Sayonara Wild Hearts - Wild hearts never die.

Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - the best Nintendo game ever not made by Nintendo.

Titanfall 2 - All that's right with AAA video games, and none of what's wrong.

Inside / Celeste / Hollow Knight - Three very different spins on modern 2D game design, and all remarkable for it.

The Witness - A personal favourite, that just completely dialled into my own wavelength. Lost hours and hours within those puzzle squares, and was always rewarded with new secrets, meanings and revelations.

Resogun - the l'il launch game that could.

Hohokum - an honourable mention for this exceedingly lovely oddity.

• Advertisement

Sony demolished Microsoft on the exclusives front anyways

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-ps4-exclusives/2/

Last of Us 2, God of War, Uncharted 4, Spiderman, Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn

vs Gears, Forza, some Halo stuff and Ori?!

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-xbox-one-exclusives/

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
    Sekrio: Shadows Die Twice
    Doom Eternal
    Return of the Obra Dinn
    Half Life: Alyx
    Resident Evil 2
    Yakuza 0

I want to try Tetris Effect but I'm waiting for the Epic Game exclusivity to end.

I think I need to give Dishonored 2 another go as well, its a contender.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Games worth playing in particular order:

Bloodborne Could be the best souls if it didn't run like ****e

Deception 4: Nightmare Princess Great update of an already great game. Setting up trap combos hasn't changed and hasn't gotten old

Ace Combat 7 An absolute thrill ride of a game. Controls are perfect and not many games come close to the exhilaration this game brings.

Sekiro fantastic mix of stealth and excellent combat. Topped off with From Softwares incredible game and level design.

Metal Gear Solid V It's too long, the story is unsatisfyingly cut short but the actual gameplay systems are top class

Titanfall 2 A perfectly paced collection of set pieces

Resident Evil 2 Remake Wonderful update of an all time classic.

Dark Souls 3 A bit by the numbers but it's still Dark Souls and even by the numbers dark souls is better than most games this generation

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Pretty much embarasses every other open world games and manages. There is no excuse for dreck like Days Gone when this game exists.

Soma Not perfect, the WAU storyline is a bit cliche, but the existential hard sci fi that this game explores really hit a chord with me and that ending was fantastic.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 One of the very best RPGs I've played in the last few years. A little easy by SMT standards but makes up for it everywhere else.

Shovel Knight Lots of indie games want to ape NES games but Shovel Knight is one of the few that actually manages to feel like a top tier NES game.

Axiom Verge As metroidvanias go, this is top tier

Hollow Knight And so is this one.

Obra Dinn Wondefully unique piece of storytelling that manages to fully use the medium to create something that just could not be done outside of videogames.

Zero Ranger Nails the feel of an old school pre-bullet hell shooter with a dose of Nier Automata style storytelling on top. Criminally ignored

Dusk Does 90's FPS better than probably every 90s FPS

Sayonara Wild Hearts The closest this generation got to Rez or Child of Eden

Umarangi Generation A unique experience about take photos and relaxing to some great tunes.

La Mulana 2 This series is the only game series that actually makes you feel like Indiana Jones uncovering an ancient civilisation

Hatoful Boyfriend It's a game where you romance pigeons. Nuff said.

X-Com 2 More X-Com... I was sold

Half-Life Alyx Pretty much the next step in immersion. Classic Valve gameplay set piece gameplay elevated by VR.

Sub Nautica Takes a survival game and adds a narrative structure which was just what I needed to finally enjoy one of these games.

Forza Horizon 4 In terms of arcade racing nothing in the last generation came close to Horizon. It's in a class of its own.

Super Mario Odyssey Just pure Nintendo magic

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze One of the greatest left to right platformers ever created.

Cuphead Finally a game came along that could stand toe to toe with Contra Hard Corp

Blazing Chrome And then someone came along and made another one

Etrian Odyssey series The series continues to be an absolute delight. It's everything good about dungeon crawling with modern sensibilities and the map making elevates this game to god tier

Probably forgotten loads and loads I've not yet played.

glasso wrote: »
    Sony demolished Microsoft on the exclusives front anyways

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-ps4-exclusives/2/

Last of Us 2, God of War, Uncharted 4, Spiderman, Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn

vs Gears, Forza, some Halo stuff and Ori?!

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-xbox-one-exclusives/

Yeah But Forza is ****ing amazing.

And Ninja Gaiden.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Outer Wilds is so far ahead of nearly everything else. Obra Dinn comes close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Super Mario Odyssey
    BOTW
    Mario Kart 8 dx
    Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
    Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Rayman Legends

Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    RDR2

Loved all of the above. Really just switched from Nintendo recently hence the lack of games from other platforms above. Nintendo still the video game king for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Witcher 3 and Resident evil 2 remake were amazing but Zelda botw was miles better than any other game released in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭McFly85

God of War tops the list for me. Wonderful combat system, stunning environments and brilliantly fleshed out story. Could listen to Mimir tell tales to Kratos and Atreus for hours!

The Witcher 3, Persona 5, Breath of the Wild, Spider-Man, RE2, Bloodborne, Sekiro, Forza Horizon 4 would be the other favourites. I’m probably forgetting some too, I think it was a fantastic generation for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Outside of the previously mentioned game, Dishonored 2. Cracking game, real player freedom and beautifully designed levels. I also enjoyed Deus Ex Mankind Divided but the story was a bit of a mess unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

PS4 killed it with exclusives this generation. Bloodborne, God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn are some of my favourite games ever.

Hollow Knight also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

J. Marston wrote: »
    PS4 killed it with exclusives this generation. Bloodborne, God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn are some of my favourite games ever.

Hollow Knight also.

Its not a patch on the Mega Drive though!

Azza wrote: »
    Its not a patch on the Mega Drive though!

SNES you mean!

J. Marston wrote: »

Hollow Knight also.

Found it very weak, just looked good when stacked up against the One which was terrible. A bit too over reliant on standard open world games. VR did however have some very good experiences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_4-only_games

It's a tiny list compared to every other big console, especially if you take out the japanese exclusives and games not worth caring about.

its mad when you look at that list and then think of the ones that are must play it shows how much that exclusivity myth really has worked with folk, like was said above maybe 3/4 must play playstation games and similar for Xbox.

Having both consoles meant I got to play both and sonys linear stories are best god of war / TLOU but i did get alot more out of Forza and Ori and I am still yet to play gears 5. I also think Quantum Break was underrated as a game tbh.

In my original post I did forget BOTW, I picked up a wiiu and blasted through it, solid game that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Outer Wilds (the one made by Mobius, not Obsidian) - One of the most special games I've ever played.

Gone Home - Stuck with me since I played it and go back to it now and again just to wander around the house listening to the voice work and music.

Looking at previous posts, I really need to play Obra Dinn and Subnautica.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I don't see it mentioned, but Dying Light was one that kinda hit me out of nowhere and ended up being one of my favorites of that generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 expen12

Sekiro, Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Persona 5

I don't see it mentioned, but Dying Light was one that kinda hit me out of nowhere and ended up being one of my favorites of that generation.

I enjoyed it but the whole time I was playing it I was nagged by the fact that they basically remade their original Dead Island games with the benefit of hindsight and new tech and mechanics with the same exploits and bugs in some cases. Like the first thing I tried was the item dupe from dead island and it worked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Hm good few i like but do feel like as a whole it was a pretty weak generation compared to ps2 and 3 endless amounts of AAA flops, but maybe its just me getting older i eneded up selling my ps4 before the ps5 was even announced as there was just nothing out that interested me.

But some of the games i really enjoyed were

Persona 5
    Doom
    Bloodbourne
    Spider Man
    Uncharted 4
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Witcher 3
    God of War
    Dragon Quest XI
    Hitman 2
    Monster Hunter

A weird one to include by AC:Black Flag i really havent enjoyed the pivot to a more rpg mechanic and black flag was the last AC i really enjoyed a lot.

Notable ones i havent gotten to play yet that im sure are great are Ghosts of Tushima and the FF7 remake that i will play soon on ps5

• Advertisement
Advertisement