Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Airport Regulations

• 17-11-2020 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Good evening.

I was thinking about going to my family to Spain in the next 2 or 3 weeks and maybe staying over xmas and new year. Looking at current situation I'm not sure if that will even be possible. I was wondering if anyone know what should I do in order to make it possible to fly. Do you know if there is need and possibility to have covid test done in the airport and if yes then how much does it take and how much it costs? I don't mind self isolating in Spain but as I understand I need to have such test done just to be allowed on the plane. How does checkin and security looks like right now? Is it completely contact free? If not, do staff disinfect your id and boarding pass after check? I'm an old man, maybe not terribly old but I'm 54 and looks like I'm in higher risk group and to me it is serious matter. In my opinion staff member who have contact with many passengers daily my unwillingly pass the virus to everyone he or she comes in contact with. Also, are there social distancing measures on board of the plane? Are people not permitted to seat within 2 meters from each other? When I asked airport staff about that they said that on board rules are up to company internal regulations so they cannot tell me for sure how does that looks. Strange.

If this post is a duplicate of similar one on this board could you kindly please to refer me to such, so I can find my answers to these questions? Media seems to be misleading this days and it is difficult to find solid info about the topic. I would appreciate help of someone who actually flew over the last few weeks and have experience in this matter.

Thank you for reading my post, I wish you all the best. Stay safe and healthy dear people. We are in this together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭con747

Good first post. :rolleyes:

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HairyHarry616

Thank you, nice to hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Good evening.

I was thinking about going to my family to Spain in the next 2 or 3 weeks and maybe staying over xmas and new year. Looking at current situation I'm not sure if that will even be possible. I was wondering if anyone know what should I do in order to make it possible to fly. Do you know if there is need and possibility to have covid test done in the airport and if yes then how much does it take and how much it costs? I don't mind self isolating in Spain but as I understand I need to have such test done just to be allowed on the plane. How does checkin and security looks like right now? Is it completely contact free? If not, do staff disinfect your id and boarding pass after check? I'm an old man, maybe not terribly old but I'm 54 and looks like I'm in higher risk group and to me it is serious matter. In my opinion staff member who have contact with many passengers daily my unwillingly pass the virus to everyone he or she comes in contact with. Also, are there social distancing measures on board of the plane? Are people not permitted to seat within 2 meters from each other? When I asked airport staff about that they said that on board rules are up to company internal regulations so they cannot tell me for sure how does that looks. Strange.

If this post is a duplicate of similar one on this board could you kindly please to refer me to such, so I can find my answers to these questions? Media seems to be misleading this days and it is difficult to find solid info about the topic. I would appreciate help of someone who actually flew over the last few weeks and have experience in this matter.

Thank you for reading my post, I wish you all the best. Stay safe and healthy dear people. We are in this together.

Last five words of this post "We are in this together"... Stay at home then!!!

Its a disgrace Joe!

d51984 wrote: »
    Last five words of this post "We are in this together"... Stay at home then!!!

This might be last Christmas for my father and I wish to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

This might be last Christmas for my father and I wish to see him.

Im sorry for last post then OP, hope everythig works out. Prayers for your Dad.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

You can now have tests at the airport: https://www.dublinairport.com/covid-19/pre-departure-covid-19-screening

At the airport most is the same but you will notice plastic screens near security and in the shops. There are also some restrictions on where you can sit. Plus hand sanitisers wherever you look. You should wear a mask when you are close to others.
    For what the flight itself is concerned: you need to wear a mask at all times. There is no social distancing on the plane itself but as it will likely be very empty (I had 21 people on my flight last week), you will be able to keep a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_and_covid19.html

Lots of info here and links to direct you to further information, maybe of some help. I wish you well and just to add, you are not old, if you are, then I am very old.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I have never before come across a 54-year-old who would describe themselves as an 'old man'.

I have never before come across a 54-year-old who would describe themselves as an 'old man'.
    Let's face it, for younger people, I'm old and for some teenagers I am a grandpa, but thank you for you words :) I'm in the middle of the age

bigar wrote: »

At the airport most is the same but you will notice plastic screens near security and in the shops. There are also some restrictions on where you can sit. Plus hand sanitisers wherever you look. You should wear a mask when you are close to others.
    For what the flight itself is concerned: you need to wear a mask at all times. There is no social distancing on the plane itself but as it will likely be very empty (I had 21 people on my flight last week), you will be able to keep a distance.

Too bad there is no social distancing, I was hoping for "wiser approach" from flight companies. Do they at least sanitise your ID after it is being checked by border control?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

just the other day there was report of a pretty crowded plane where everyone took off their masks to eat. The best you could hope for would be an empty seat next to you.I wouldn't risk it.

bigar wrote: »
    You can now have tests at the airport: https://www.dublinairport.com/covid-19/pre-departure-covid-19-screening

bet they aren't empty around xmas,.

Too bad there is no social distancing, I was hoping for "wiser approach" from flight companies. Do they at least sanitise your ID after it is being checked by border control?

There is no border control in Dublin Airport for outbound flights. At the gate you will have to place your boarding ticket on the scanner yourself and you show your ID to the person without handing it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sitting breathing recycled air in a tube won't make any difference if you social distance or not, even though it's been through a HEPA filter there's still the breath of all the people before you that you are breathing.

Bring your own N95/FPP3 mask and sanitise your own ID when they hand it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

A negative Covid test within 72 houra from Monday 23rd is necessary for entry in to Spain, additionally all pubs and restaurants have to close at 6pm, not sure how long these restrictions are going to be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

con747 wrote: »
    Good first post. :rolleyes:

Why the roll eyes?, man logins in to ask a sensible question.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Sitting breathing recycled air in a tube won't make any difference if you social distance or not, even though it's been through a HEPA filter there's still the breath of all the people before you that you are breathing.

Bring your own N95/FPP3 mask and sanitise your own ID when they hand it back.

Thank you for your answer. I don't understand what means HEPA/N95/FPP3 but I assume you know what you are talking about. Also why would they hand back my ID if there is no "no border control in Dublin Airport for outbound flights" as bigar said. A bit confusing.

Anyway thank you for taking an effort in replying to my question, I did not expected to receive so many answers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thank you for your answer. I don't understand what means HEPA/N95/FPP3 but I assume you know what you are talking about. Also why would they hand back my ID if there is no "no border control in Dublin Airport for outbound flights" as bigar said. A bit confusing.

Anyway thank you for taking an effort in replying to my question, I did not expected to receive so many answers here.

HEPA is one of the highest levels of air filtration, but not much use when people are breathing out the air you will be breathing in. N95 and FFP3 are the standards for high level face masks that protect the wearer from COVID.

You asked do they sanitize your ID when handed back. They won't as it would take too long to process people if they did. So sanitize it yourself when they hand it back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

HEPA is one of the highest levels of air filtration, but not much use when people are breathing out the air you will be breathing in. N95 and FFP3 are the standards for high level face masks that protect the wearer from COVID.
    The air inside an airline cabin is not recycled. It's brought in fresh from outside, pumped in from the ceiling and extracted through the floor. Cabin air will be completely refreshed in 2-3 minutes. So you are extremely unlikely to be breathing in the air someone else has breathed out. Plus mask wearing is mandatory on all airlines.

The air inside an airline cabin is not recycled. It's brought in fresh from outside, pumped in from the ceiling and extracted through the floor. Cabin air will be completely refreshed in 2-3 minutes. So you are extremely unlikely to be breathing in the air someone else has breathed out. Plus mask wearing is mandatory on all airlines.

how do they bring air into a cabin pressurised ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

‘Flight from hell’ passenger on flight from Dublin to Malaga says group of 50 people were ‘celebrating’ without social distancing or masks

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/flight-from-hell-passenger-on-flight-from-dublin-to-malaga-says-group-of-50-people-were-celebrating-without-social-distancing-or-masks-39767198.html

This is your worst case scenario!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Isambard wrote: »
    how do they bring air into a cabin pressurised ?

It shows you at the start of the video. The air is brought into the aircon system while the aircraft is traveling at 900km/h.There's no issue keeping the pressure up.

You asked do they sanitize your ID when handed back. They won't as it would take too long to process people if they did. So sanitize it yourself when they hand it back.

They do not take your ID and boarding ticket (paper or phone) at the gate. You need to scan the ticket yourself on the scanner and show your ID without handing it to them. Even if they would do, the boarding assistants I saw all wore gloves.

Perhaps a clarification: there is no border control outbound but you still require to show your ID at the gate before you go down the steps toward your plane. This is to check that the name on the ticket matches your ID.

I have travelled 8 times since the pandemic started, including on a completely full flight. If you keep your wits about, you will be fine. Keep you mask on at all times and wash/sanitise your hands regularly.

Advertisement