Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips for playing with bad back

Options
  • 17-11-2020 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if any fellow golfers had tips for playing with a bad back and not being crippled? I have a bulging/slipped disc in my lower back and I vary between feeling quite good and being very sore after something as simple as stumbling on a step.

I haven’t played for a few years now as the last time I played I stupidly tried to dig a ball out of deep rough but the club got tangled and I could barely walk after never mind finish the round. I was in a bad way for a while after that.

I certainly feel well enough to play at times but I’m afraid to. I’m really itching to get back playing and decided I’m going to chance a few slow and easy holes around Christmas.

So any fellow bad back boardsies have any tips, aside from taking a drop from the rough which I will always take my medicine and do in future.

Comments

Try and stay active as much as you can, I have 2 discs bulging in lower back. If you can start Pilates/yoga they are really helpful for building and stretching muscles around your spine. Get a found warm up routine before playing ease into hit full swings. Other than that always try swing within yourself, might be no harm seeing if you can find a coach who has worked with similar injuries before

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would advocate fixing your back before trying to play golf, its an aggressive move that could at any time trigger your back.

Spend some time on yoga/pilates and get medical advice, then go back to golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

GreeBo wrote: »
    I would advocate fixing your back before trying to play golf, its an aggressive move that could at any time trigger your back.

Spend some time on yoga/pilates and get medical advice, then go back to golf.

There is no fixing it as such unfortunately. I have done pilates in the past for strength but fell out of the habit of it when my instructor moved away. The strengthening will of course help and I need to get back at it but I’m not bad enough for an operation despite being quite bad at times and nerve injections have not been overly early successful so to some extent I will need to take a risk playing but want to minimise things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Perhaps you could try Harrington's follow through drill:

Also a golf fitness coach who's TPI registered that works in Dublin/Kildare called Nils Conway.

Perhaps he might have some drills to help build a swing that might relieve some of the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

+1 on Nils, have used him for golf strength training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Is cold weather a factor and x-mas potentially a bad time?

That’s a good point too, but I’d plan on getting in a good warm up. We had a death in the family recently and my mother would really like to get out for a few holes when things open up and she is reluctant to meet other people and so on and that sort of promoted me to chance a few. She normally only plays 4 or 5 holes and at a slow pace so it would be a lot less strenuous than playing with my own mates.

Thing is I don’t mind if I’m a little stiff and just sore after it, especially muscles my worry is a major hit in the disc and pushing it out again leaving me in a lot of pain.

Thanks folks for the replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I have a herniated L5S1 for 10 years now, its a literal pain in the butt that flares up time and time again and when it does I am out for 2 weeks.

That said I have found a way to manage it. Pilates and yoga help. Stretching helps. Squats help. Really getting your core strong is the key thing. I still get spasms and days where my back feels weak but I have found a routine that gets me back moving and going again.

all that in I can play golf 2 to 3 times a week with no problems, I even carry my bag although I do plan to invest in a decent trolley when things open up again

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

willabur wrote: »
    I have a herniated L5S1 for 10 years now, its a literal pain in the butt that flares up time and time again and when it does I am out for 2 weeks.

That said I have found a way to manage it. Pilates and yoga help. Stretching helps. Squats help. Really getting your core strong is the key thing. I still get spasms and days where my back feels weak but I have found a routine that gets me back moving and going again.

all that in I can play golf 2 to 3 times a week with no problems, I even carry my bag although I do plan to invest in a decent trolley when things open up again

Word of caution with squats. If they are not done correctly, they can cause more damage. Done right and they're probably the best exercise out there

willabur wrote: »

Thank you, that is encouraging - it is the same disc I have issues with also.

I really need to get my act together on exercise, core strength and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Word of caution with squats. If they are not done correctly, they can cause more damage. Done right and they're probably the best exercise out there

Its a good point, I have a good physio who has shown the correct technique

I would feel a squat with weight would be a very risky exercise with my back issue but if done right maybe it is a very helpful one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

I would feel a squat with weight would be a very risky exercise with my back issue but if done right maybe it is a very helpful one.

If you wish to do some at home movement/core work, DownDog app is quite good.

I believe the free trial is 60-70 days. I do approx 30 mins 5 days a week and have noticed some increased mobility and reduction in pain.

However, I do think that if your injury is acute rather than something more generalised as a result of poor posture etc, you are better off discussing it with a professional.

Not only is this safer and the highest probability of success, it will likely lead to the short-term progress that you need to maintain motivation.

IMO that is particularly important when improving mobility and returning from injury as the road can be arduous and gains very subtle. It is an aspect that is very often overlooked so worth keeping in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Find a Physio that does Pilates, I find them better. Have a chat to them about it.

Advertisement