Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mobile app that shows all the chargers?

Options
  • 19-11-2020 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

So I have signed up for the ESB eCar app which I think is great. Haven't had a fault with it yet and I'm quite happy. But I know it is limited to only ESB owned chargers (or so I am aware). Is there any other app that shows locations of all the other public chargers?

As in, I wanted to charge the car last time I was in Dunnes in Clarehall. There's chargers available but they are not ESB owned this require RFID. Then I went to Howth to use one of their chargers, but again, not ESB owned, require RFID this couldn't charge while I was out on a walk.

Is there no standard as of yet which would collate all chargers into one place so they could be used with a single app?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Your best bet is Plugshare or ZapMap, neither are perfect but a lot closer to what you are looking for

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

slave1 wrote: »
    Your best bet is Plugshare or ZapMap, neither are perfect but a lot closer to what you are looking for

Can you activate chargers via the app? The same way you do with ESB?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nope, just location of charge point

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Nope, just location of charge point

Grand! There's a lot more chargers around my local area than I thought. Definitely a positive surprise! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Plugshare even has some private users who offer their home charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Plugsurfing & Chargemap are two that allow you to start charging with other networks including ESB

Prices are higher than ESB though, so not worth it for Ireland, but could be useful for travelling abroad

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I like Plugshare as it usually has a few photo's of the chargers, and the check-in feature lets you know how recently a charger was used by a Plugshare user....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

EasyGo shows all of theirs, Ionity and ESB chargers. Can start from app too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭innrain

I like Plugshare as it usually has a few photo's of the chargers, and the check-in feature lets you know how recently a charger was used by a Plugshare user....

I second that. I prefer it over zap-map as is more community oriented, hence flexible. It has the option to check in and such others will know if the charger is currently in use. You can even accept messages from other users such they let you know that something happened with your session or ask you how long you're planning to stay.

Regarding OP's original dilemma In think these are the chargers in question https://www.plugshare.com/location/231646
    It seems from past experiences that they require no app, and they are straight plug and charge.
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/209974 Howth one is owned Fingal CoCo and seems bit controversial if you're allowed here. zg3409 (who is also user here and very active on plugshare) said back in 2019 that it was restricted for council's scheme. Maybe things changed since. If you find differently, post it on plugshare and we all are going to benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I heard Electrify America is binging in plug & charge soon. So your car will have your account details and you just need to plug in and your car will handle the payment for the charging.

Basically the same as what Tesla do with their superchargers

Hopefully that becomes the standard soon and we can dispense with this RFID/App nonsense

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

innrain wrote: »
    I second that. I prefer it over zap-map as is more community oriented, hence flexible. It has the option to check in and such others will know if the charger is currently in use. You can even accept messages from other users such they let you know that something happened with your session or ask you how long you're planning to stay.

Regarding OP's original dilemma In think these are the chargers in question https://www.plugshare.com/location/231646
    It seems from past experiences that they require no app, and they are straight plug and charge.
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/209974 Howth one is owned Fingal CoCo and seems bit controversial if you're allowed here. zg3409 (who is also user here and very active on plugshare) said back in 2019 that it was restricted for council's scheme. Maybe things changed since. If you find differently, post it on plugshare and we all are going to benefit.

These are exactly the chargers in question.

I saw the one in Howth was a community charger just as I arrived so I have not even tried plugging it in and also the fact it had RFID on it. Couldn't see it on the PlugShare app because all the restricted chargers were filtered out. Now I know where I stand. Thank you!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That one in Howth is similar to one in Skerries, close to the ESB one..

https://www.plugshare.com/location/209791

2 plugs/spaces, but 1 reserved for the community car, but as far as I can see the 2nd plug/space is game ball to use..

I plugged into it one day, it's only 4kW so hardly worth the hassle unless you're desperate for a bit of juice to get you to a fast charger... Plug and charge though, so no card/app needed.

That one in Howth is similar to one in Skerries, close to the ESB one..

https://www.plugshare.com/location/209791

2 plugs/spaces, but 1 reserved for the community car, but as far as I can see the 2nd plug/space is game ball to use..

I plugged into it one day, it's only 4kW so hardly worth the hassle unless you're desperate for a bit of juice to get you to a fast charger... Plug and charge though, so no card/app needed.

The way I see it is that even though it's a slow charger, I can leave it there, go grab fish and chips, go for a walk, come back in two hours and have a bit of juice. That's what I do at work. I plug it in for the day @ 3.6kW max, come back after few hours, voila, charged!

Advertisement