Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immunity to coronavirus could last for years, scientists find

• 19-11-2020 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭

Well, well, well....

Immunity to coronavirus lasts at least eight months and may even continue for years, new research has suggested.

Scientists looked at immune cells in survivors of Covid-19, including those that store “memory” of the virus which can activate antibodies.

The study, led by scientists at La Jolla Institute for Immunology at San Diego university in the US, assessed elements of the immune response including antibodies and T-cells, and found the “immune memory” may last for at least eight months.

Experts said the slow rate of decline in some of the cells required for immunity could mean it lasted even longer.

The study has raised hopes that the protection conferred by coronavirus vaccines could last for years, and that an annual jab may not be required

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/immunity-to-coronavirus-could-last-for-months-if-not-years-scientists-find-39764633.html

What the article doesn't say is all those people who have had Covid or were asymptomatic could also have immunity. No point telling us that though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

this is terrible news for those pushing a vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not if they try and spin it as if it's only the vaccine can give that immunity. Which is exactly what there doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

I think , the most important word to consider here is " survivors " .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Not if they try and spin it as if it's only the vaccine can give that immunity. Which is exactly what there doing.
    You can also take your chances with Covid if you prefer. :rolleyes: I think most people will prefer to get a tested vaccine rather than infecting themselves and god knows who else with Covid.

Good news if it turns out to be correct obviously, we won't know for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

i think its very uncertain, some people have immunity for 8 months, and it could last years.
    we have enough couldda, wouldda, shoulda with this virus, its time for certainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭manonboard

Brilliant news. If this is the case, then society can return to far more normal status so much more consistently. Very pleased if this turns out to be true for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭timmyntc

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    I think , the most important word to consider here is " survivors " .

If nobody died from COVID - then we wouldnt care about immunity in the first place because theres 0 risk of death.

Yes the word is survivors, but its not like 10% of people die from it, not even 1% die from it. It has a very high survival rate all things considered.

paw patrol wrote: »

Its the exact opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Its the exact opposite

kinda shows vaccine isnt that necessary if you don't want it.

get covid take your 99.9% chance - be grand.

get covid take your 99.9% chance - be grand.

If one was a self absorbed, clueless idiot, one could take that view.

A normal individual would understand the vaccine immunity would be the same and get everyone pretty much back to normal, vulnerable or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭djan

Please remember even through relatively few will die of covid, the drastic increase in hospitalisations places an unnecessary and preventable (once a finished vaccine is developed) additional strain on healthcare providers.

Already now, there is evidence showing that some cancer screenings have nearly halved during the pandemic compared to previous years and similar with numerous procedures being postponed. While the deaths will not be directly caused by covid, they will be an indirect result of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭timmyntc

djan wrote: »
    Please remember even through relatively few will die of covid, the drastic increase in hospitalisations places an unnecessary and preventable (once a finished vaccine is developed) additional strain on healthcare providers.

Already now, there is evidence showing that some cancer screenings have nearly halved during the pandemic compared to previous years and similar with numerous procedures being postponed. While the deaths will not be directly caused by covid, they will be an indirect result of it.

But that's not as a result of COVID - that's a result of the govt response to COVID.
    It's entirely possible to have a level of restrictions on society to keep virus levels stable, while reinstating cancer & other screening services. COVID doesnt stop that from happening - its a govt choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭djan

timmyntc wrote: »
    But that's not as a result of COVID - that's a result of the govt response to COVID.
    It's entirely possible to have a level of restrictions on society to keep virus levels stable, while reinstating cancer & other screening services. COVID doesnt stop that from happening - its a govt choice.

I agree that gov planning has an impact but at the end of the day there is a finite amount of staff available to provide these services and when looking at Italy or Spain for example where the system collapsed, covid most definitely stopped even standard procedures from happening.

Once there is a substantial threat of viral infection within a hospital, the necessary procedures required to stop the spread within make it much less efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's not just postponed. People are not turning up for their screenings in many cases, probably because they are afraid of picking up the virus in the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Would actually like to see the stats for hospitals

Since June 1st we have had almost 45,000 Covid cases

350 deaths

I am guessing 7.5% required some hospital attention

3000 patients

Is 3000 alot spread over 5 months?

I am guessing hospitals are only busy because staff have to self isolate, silly stuff like eating lunches in canteen etc with an airborne virus around

With 3000 patients over 5 months we could have easliy had a Covid only hospital setup somewhere instead of every bloody hosptial taking patients

Worth remembering 25% of that 45,000 are health care workers, what % of the remaining got it from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

get covid take your 99.9%
    chance - be grand.

99.9% chance of surviving right?

Say we let it spread through the population with 50% under 65 getting jabbed and the rest banking on their own personnal choice (which is what this pandemic was never about),
    3% under 65 have rocked up in hospital so far.
    2m unvaccinated x 3%, that's 60,000 , granted it would be a less because you'd imagine the more at risk will get the jab even below 10,000 would cause the health service to struggle big time.
    Keeping in mind the rest of the health service is not functioning properly.
    Fact of the matter is with that level of take up we will have restrictions to steady flow of people through the hospital system.

Near Full take up of the vaccine, would divide those numbers by 10 to 20, and far better chance we can all get on with our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I don't think you understand how a vaccine works.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

No, it does not.

Think I recall some of your other posts railing against Coronavirus public health restrictions, you (& yours) were living life to the full as much as possible anyway, NPHET and the Nanny State be damned etc.

Please just go get your shot when it is made available so we can get out of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Its the exact opposite

Trying to argue with the type of people that don't understand basic stuff like this is like putting your own head in a vice and pressing squeeze, you'd wonder how these simpletons got out of national school toilet trained never mind being able to read and write

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Worth remembering 25% of that 45,000 are health care workers, what % of the remaining got it from them.

Exactly its been a hospital disease for a while

Staff eating in canteens with an airborne virus circulating

Right now someone in UHL is digging into a sandwich on site with that virus in the air

I was in UHL last week, there was staff and visitors sitting in the coffee shop having food and drink (obviously no masks on) acting normal. While it was nice to see I thought what an unusual place to have a coffee right inside the emergency entrance doors.
    I think they've 180 staff isolating at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I was in UHL last week, there was staff and visitors sitting in the coffee shop having food and drink (obviously no masks on) acting normal. While it was nice to see I thought what an unusual place to have a coffee right inside the emergency entrance doors.
    I think they've 180 staff isolating at the moment.

I passed through the grounds of CUH and passed the window of the coffee shop and it was the same there as well. What was weird in CUH, saw about four people in scrubs sitting at the one small table!

Advertisement