Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hurling Fantasy Transfer

• 18-11-2020 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

What county are you from or support?

And if you could take 1 current hurler from another county, who would it be and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

I'll get the ball rolling....

Clare.

Conor Whelan: His combination of ball winning ability, workrate and scores is hard to find. A real handful.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Cork.

Easy to pick a forward but I’d go Ronan Maher and play him at no.6 badly need a consistent centre back in Cork

Ideally we’d need about 4 picks in Cork at the moment

He is a colossus of a man, lovely striker of a ball and loves to go on the attack.
    Centre back has been a problem position for cork since Ronan Curren probably, 10+ years ago? Would that be fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

galway.

I think Thadg de burca would do a serious job for galway in the half back line. He can hurl anyway you want and is able to mix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Wexford

After the weekend looks like we'd need alot more than 1.

However if it was getting a player for 1 season only it would be TJ Reid, but if a longer term project Conor Whelan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

djr15 wrote: »
    He is a colossus of a man, lovely striker of a ball and loves to go on the attack.
    Centre back has been a problem position for cork since Ronan Curren probably, 10+ years ago? Would that be fair?

Spot on. Curran was definitely the last one who was dominating in that position consistently

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Kilkenny.

Austin Gleeson. Great hurler and can play anywhere down the spine of the team. Cody would wind his neck for him. I'd stick him in centre-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭golfball37

Clare

TdBurca or Ronan Maher

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

Galway

Eoin Murphy I think would be my choice, I don't think we've had a keeper at the very top level like he is in the past few years, would solidify the backline I think.

Outfield probably TJ Reid, It'd just be an unstoppable forward line with Canning Whelen and TJ

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

From Tipp

On current form Tony Kelly. Outrageous at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Wexford

However if it was getting a player for 1 season only it would be TJ Reid, but if a longer term project Conor Whelan

Also from Wexford, and agree we'd need many more than just one.

But on current form, Tony Kelly would have to be the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Kilkenny.

Austin Gleeson. Great hurler and can play anywhere down the spine of the team. Cody would wind his neck for him. I'd stick him in centre-back.

On similar theme bubbles to kilkenny..maybe ge is beyond redemption though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

From Waterford. I'd want Aaron Gillane. If you send reasonable ball up to him he'll get a fair amount of them into his hand and score. More than anything it's what our team needs and has needed since Mullane retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Wexford

I'd actually chose Sean Finn from Limerick.

He has been the most consistent corner-back in the country since 2018 and its the one position we have struggled for reliability in since Rossiter retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'd actually chose Sean Finn from Limerick.

He has been the most consistent corner-back in the country since 2018 and its the one position we have struggled for reliability in since Rossiter retired.

Fair point, im just thinking a mobile ball winning forward, why i suggested the 2 lads

I know we are only talking sh¹te here, but it's still refreshing to be able to acknowledge the talent in other counties, some of whom we have massive rivalries with.

It's one of the things I love about hurling, 99% of the time you can tear into the opposition for a game, and once the final whistle goes, you shake hands and say thanks for the game.

It's an awful pity the inter provincial games have went the way they are where we could see some of these rivals team up in a proper encounter.

Growing up I remember hearing about legends and how they had "X" railway cup medals, as one of their standout accolades. Not any more.

Can you imagine the current talent from the provenances going hell for leather for 70mins in a game really worth something?

Canning & TJ Reid Versus Pat Horgan & Noel McGrath.

Would be something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭cave_dweller

Limerick

I'd be very happy with Tadgh De Burca or Tony Kelly. I wouldn't say no to Conor Whelan or Patrick Horgan either. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

djr15 wrote: »
    I know we are only talking sh¹te here, but it's still refreshing to be able to acknowledge the talent in other counties, some of whom we have massive rivalries with.

It's one of the things I love about hurling, 99% of the time you can tear into the opposition for a game, and once the final whistle goes, you shake hands and say thanks for the game.

It's an awful pity the inter provincial games have went the way they are where we could see some of these rivals team up in a proper encounter.

Growing up I remember hearing about legends and how they had "X" railway cup medals, as one of their standout accolades. Not any more.

Can you imagine the current talent from the provenances going hell for leather for 70mins in a game really worth something?

Canning & TJ Reid Versus Pat Horgan & Noel McGrath.

Would be something special.

I remember the Railway Cup being held in Wexford Park back in 1989, around October or November - the two semi-finals on a Saturday, then the Shield Final and Final itself on the Sunday. However, even then, it was well past its sell-by date.

I remember Connacht (i.e. Galway!) beating Leinster in one semi-final, and Munster beating an Ulster team that was full on Antrim hurlers who'd played in the All-Ireland Final that year in the other. Then Connacht won the final on the Sunday in a game that was high-scoring but fairly pedestrian overall....a bit like the All-Stars challenge games played abroad in more recent years.

Not sure when the last Railway Cup was actually played, but it was on its last legs for a good while before the plug was finally pulled. Pity really, considering the appeal it once held, but hard if not impossible to ever imagine it coming back.

Not sure if the NBA still do the all star game, which was or maybe still is west v east... but i thought that created a bit of a buzz and was competitive.

I just thought it could be pushed in some way as a games promotion tool....

Have it on in the Phoenix park or on Inishturk Island… Something different with something significant to play for....
    It’s a pity to see it die off.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Limerick

Think we could do with an out and out goalscorer so Seamie Callanan or John McGrath would be perfect for our FF line. For this year only could do with a Full back or Corner back too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement