Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hand -made decorations?

• 08-10-2020 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

I am just starting to make these; I already make small (knitted) angels and bells ( that ring!)

When I was still trading at street markets and craft fairs they sold so well for our work for needy folk.

Any other, ideas please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I don't knit or crochet, so am lost there... what about needle felting, Graces?
    You could make some quite expressive little critters with that technique.
    Personally, I think felted sheep would make fun tree ornaments.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/54/c7/6c/54c76ca99f521d9298b8a8f8949dff58.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Do you mean what to make? Or where to sell them?

I’ve seen amazing Christmas decorations made out of wine and champagne corks. Very creative.

In terms of selling, I think Etsy or an Instagram or Facebook shop would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

When I was a chisler (back in the 70s), my brother and I used to make popcorn garlands for the tree.

Basically, pop some pop corn, then with a needle & thread string then along 2 or 3 foot lengths. These were then knotted together.

Then after twelfth night the garlands were added to the bird table.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could someone please suggest a theme for me for this year's Christmas cards? I've previously done snowflakes, baubles, Christmas trees, gingerbread men, bare-branches trees with baubles, reindeer, Nativity scenes, candles, presents, Santas, Christmas villages, winter wonderlands, candles... and now I'm at a loss. As for the technique/media, I've used wrapping paper, origami, paints, kirigami, "stained glass" effect, stamps, beads, glitter, ribbons, card, foil, enamels/nail varnish, copper. Ideally it should be quick and easy (I need to make over 40 cards by hand) but pretty/eyecatching. I've tried drawing/making wreaths, mistletoe, holly, etc but the results were quite poor.

As usual I've left it quite late...

Your calligraphy is beautiful New Home. Why not a simple word like Joy with a bit of swirly ornamental holly at the ends... you could do it with a simple a gold ink gel pen and colour penciled in... The swirls don't have to be perfect, just swirlie and whimsical.

• Advertisement

• An origami peace crane ornament (made from christmas wrap) slipped inside a pocket on the front of a blank card (for peace on earth).
    • Something whimsical, like elf legs or a cute simple christmas bird on a branch...
    • Wordart is lovely (especially this year) - Hope, Peace, Joy (wishing you joy always)...
    • Their name in Christmas lights ?

k, sorry :o done now... I do love homemade cards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thank you, Boo, all good ideas. :)

(You just reminded me, I made Christmas owls and and stockings, too. :))

New Home wrote: »
    Thank you, Boo, all good ideas. :)

(You just reminded me, I made Christmas owls and and stockings, too. :))

Owls? wow!

You are talented and creative, well done New Home!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Disney has shared a video on How to Make A Festive Star Lantern - a tradition from the Philippines which featured in their Christmas advert

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

otnomart wrote: »
    Disney has shared a video on How to Make A Festive Star Lantern - a tradition from the Philippines which featured in their Christmas advert

That's lovely!

• Advertisement

Could someone please suggest a theme for me for this year's Christmas cards? I've previously done snowflakes, baubles, Christmas trees, gingerbread men, bare-branches trees with baubles, reindeer, Nativity scenes, candles, presents, Santas, Christmas villages, winter wonderlands, candles... and now I'm at a loss. As for the technique/media, I've used wrapping paper, origami, paints, kirigami, "stained glass" effect, stamps, beads, glitter, ribbons, card, foil, enamels/nail varnish, copper. Ideally it should be quick and easy (I need to make over 40 cards by hand) but pretty/eyecatching. I've tried drawing/making wreaths, mistletoe, holly, etc but the results were quite poor.

As usual I've left it quite late...

Just seen these that might have potential, (looking for gift-tag ideas myself)... vine wreath and whimsical tree ...with 3d elements.

I have one small snowflake punch, I might try one gift-tag tree, (not sure it would hold my interest :o long and wont turn out like the pic, so - meh...)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Making cards kept me busy a month or so ago, watercolour paints with glitter glue highlights and and metallic paint border, good watercolour paper stuck onto coloured cards. One theme was snow crystals that unfortunately look like corona virus :)

Other ideas? christmas tree bauble, polar bear, snowman, eskimo, street lantern silhouette against night sky.....I try and have indigo blue background then sprinkle white paint over to look like snow (splatter with help of old toothbrush).

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I have sprayed gold paint on dried seed heads of flowers (alliums)...then arranged in vases. I saw someone sprayed same with white paint and put just the flowerheads in the tree as decorations. I tried this but white paint does not seem so dramatic or else paint was cheap, poor quality.

I looked up preserving autumn leaves and apparantly people do it via wax and use for christmas decorations. Best of colour gone now but idea for next year! I only wanted to keep for week or so to enable a painting of same to be done. I did not realise you could preserve colour for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

My friends mom knitted this for me :-)

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Aaaaaw, I love it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Brilliant

very cool! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

My son made these a few years ago for his gran and auntie. Frames from ikea, pebbles from the beach, a few scrabble tiles and a hot glue gun.

Lovely tscul32 :) well done to your son!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Wow tscul32 they are gorgeous x

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

If you crochet, some baubles? The plain baubles can be bought in boots. I usually put in a little bit of snow and crochet different patterns on them. The stick on pearls I usually get in the €2 shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

now online wrote: »
    If you crochet, some baubles? The plain baubles can be bought in boots. I usually put in a little bit of snow and crochet different patterns on them. The stick on pearls I usually get in the €2 shop

They're beautiful

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

now online wrote: »

They are gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

I just had a memory of making tree decorations in primary school from a piece of styrofoam and a festive picture, usually a christmas card. Oh no, sentimental :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I just had a memory of making tree decorations in primary school from a piece of styrofoam and a festive picture, usually a christmas card. Oh no, sentimetnal :pac:

I still have a Christmas log, candle holder that I made in primary school.

Ah, yes, but do you still have your First Holy Communion money? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Never got any :mad: and haven't made my confirmation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We don't have that in my religion however I do still have old money in my first piggy bank if that counts :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I am watching Kirstie's Christmas: Quick and Easy Craft is on channel 4 this Sunday at 8pm it might be worth a watch.

Advertisement