Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Cycling Goals.

• 16-11-2020 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

With possibly the worst year in living memory for cycling (and everything else really) coming to a close, there is some good news on the horizon. With The Possibility of a Vaccine early next year I am starting to feel optimistic so, its time to look forward and set goals or challenges or plans.

For me its achieving 300km in one day, weather it be an Audax or just head out early one morning and just do it alone. If I can get it done early in the year I might then try for a 400km spin. I even bought a new bike to help inspire me.

So What are your plans? Win a race? Do 100 miles? Learn to cycle? Do the ring of Kerry cycle? Just try enjoy it more? Get fitter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

I have plans for a coiple of different bikepacking trips that didn't pan out this year. I'd like to do a 100 mile cycle as well. Other than that, I'd like to be on my bike more regularly than this year

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fugs!!

I had half planned a bike packing trip this year too but never happened. Maybe next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

For me it’ll be 5000km

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm on course to hit my 2020 target of 4000km before the end of the month and should make 4500km depending on whether or not Christmas holidays happen. A good year for me in spite of covid and almost no commuting. Aside from February & the last few weeks I've been on the bike every single week, haven't missed a club ride aside from where I've been away or lockdowns, and my highest total km ever.

I had a goal not to buy any new bikes or spend any money. I'm +1 on overall number of bikes but have bought three and sold two - including an Ultegra Di2 disc good bike and a titanium gravel bike plus something cheaper for the turbo (selling an expensive bike so that was a money saving move). So that goal was a spectacular failure with a net spend of over 4k - boredom during lockdown, refunds from cancelled holidays etc. I'm going to make the same goal again as I'm quite happy with my fleet now - and I live in an apartment, although I do have a project on my mind (rim braked, sub 7kg, simple but cheap build).

I also wanted to do more sportives but that obviously didn't happen. I'd like to do a few next year but that is more wait and see for the moment.

Overall goal will be 5000km & I'd like to add in some longer trips, at least 200km in one go if not 300km, and a multi-day trip too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Very hard to plan - not wanting to go off topic, but it seems to be this time next year when they expect things to be "normal". Anyway, I'm not planning anything overseas for next year!

With that in mind, I'm thinking about giving open racing another go, as more local and more likely to happen. I feel I'm stronger than the last time, and although I'm mentally not having a problem training, I'd like to have something to work towards.

But also have longer term aspirations for PBP or LEL, so would like to get up to 400km audax next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mamax

This years target was 5000km that included doing a 200km spin, that's done already so I'll try to get to 6000 by year end, so next year the target is 8000km with at least one 300km spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭alentejo

Tony Holohan will allow me to cycle in the Wicklow Mountains!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Having met my 2020 target of 10,000km and looking like I'll get 12,000kms in before the end of the year, I might look at getting 15,000km in next year.
    I'd also like to get a lot more hills in. I should have ventured into Wicklow more this year but with various lockdowns, most of my time was in Kildare.

I had also planned on a taking the train to Carrick on Shannon and making my way home via a number of family interests in Leitrim & Cavan (grandparents graves, etc.) - this would be my first 200km ride.

I also have plenty of holidays to take from work (before March) and I've had a trip to France in the back of my mind. A few days around Brittany on my todd might be nice, if possible.

I'm also planning on buying at least one more bike during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

A big goal for me is to get a bike that hasn't a crack in it! Praying racing returns in some way. Would love a good crack at a few mini stage races and hopefully love my 10 mile and 25mile TT times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bambaata wrote: »
    A big goal for me is to get a bike that hasn't a crack in it! .....
    Where are you getting your bikes? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

2019- Separated AC joint, broken ribs, punctured lung and a fractured elbow.

2020- Dislocated thumb and ruptured ligaments.

For 2021 I'd like to stay upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭billyhead

Get out on the bike more and this WFH lark is contributing to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Daroxtar wrote: »
    2019- Separated AC joint, broken ribs, punctured lung and a fractured elbow.

2020- Dislocated thumb and ruptured ligaments.

For 2021 I'd like to stay upright.
    Here's an option for you :pac:: https://www.ebay.ie/i/174336683535

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Did my longest spin ever this yea 160kms and it looks like I'll make 5000 kms for the year in total.

Next year there's a 240 km spin I'd love to do and if I could do 5000kms again. I'd be happy out.

Edit

Oh and a few more

-- finally work out my max heart rate for training.
    --- Do some structured training
    --- Cycle 100kms at an average of 25kms an hour.
    ---- but mainly get out on the bike.
    Get

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭dahat

12k aim again with a mixture of road & Zwift.

Don't need a rake of comments relating to the legitiamacy of the combined total!

Hoping racing resumes so I can attack my long standing aim of winning an A3 race.

New bike coming, Reacto 6000 and would like to add a disc brake winter bike late in the year.

Also need to learn more about maintenance to save a few sheckles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Following a serious illness in 2018, I managed ~4,500km last year and targeted 6,000 km for this year which I reached in July. I've half an eye on 10,000km for 2020 as that'll see me back to where I was in 2017 before being laid up but I'm really not too pushed.

For 2021 I'm setting a different target: To ride my bikes for fun and leave the numbers behind.

I'd a cycling tour of Wales planned for 2020 that was shelved due to Covid so hopefully that might happen in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

What are the odds of the wicklow 200 goung ahead next year?
    Feck all im sure :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Pretty much a cut and paste from Plans for 2020. Still focused on trying to get to 10k by the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've had a trip to France in the back of my mind. A few days around Brittany on my todd might be nice, if possible.

I considered getting the ferry from Cork to Roscoff - cycling from Roscoff to Cherbourg and then home on the Cherbourg to Dublin ferry. In the end I opted for Wales (Fishguard - Holyhead) as it required two days less holidays. Covid sank those plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Think 2021 is going to be a year of club rides which is fine by me. I'm going to dispense with a number target and concentrate on what makes me happy.

- Get more proficient on the MTB. Move from blue trails to red.
    - Try a long off-road spin maybe part of the Wicklow Way.
    - Get out for a regular 90-100k spin each week.
    - Complete a 200k Audax.
    - Participate in the club league.
    - If foreign travel comes back : 5 days in the Italian Alps
    - Failing that, tour somewhere new in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

- Finish off the wild atlantic way trip I started back in August and possibly turn it into a lap around Ireland trip.
    - Isle of Man TT race visit and cycle tour got canned this year. Fingers crossed it goes ahead next year.
    - Complete my first 200km ride.
    - Do the Barrow way bike packing trip
    - Ireland to Asia extended trip - highly unlikely but can only keep dreaming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭secman

Having hit 10,000km last year unexpectedly, i set a target of 8,500 km for this year. Currently on 7,500 km having had 2 bouts of a 3 & 5 week lay off due to back pain. With a bit of luck i should hit the 8,500 km.

I've a few tests lined up for 2nd December, all going well a target of 8,500 km for 2021 sounds good .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

the accountability of this thread!
    aim to have any type of good luck please this year! fractures, Di2 failure, sickness, getting caught close to the line. just give me a break next year Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

- Get back to cycling with the club on regular basis
    - Do some sportives (2020 was the first year in a long time I didn't do any)
    - Go exploring on more routes in the county and beyond.
    - 5,000 km always an annual target, only up to around 3 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Where are you getting your bikes? :confused:

Ive 2 cracked Cannondale Supersix High Mods now. One was a car hit me and cracked seat tube, other was jammed chain launched the jockey wheel into the seatstay. Both had been repaired but the fork on one has now cracked down and isnt safe and the other has a crack in the other seatstay for reasons unknown! I did crash it with no real impact and not at a great speed (chain slipped as i stood to accereralte out of a corner after a club mate in our club champs) so both are now only good for the turbo!

Training these days on turbo and commute on a heavy Caadx so will need a road bike before season starts next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

For 2021; Slea Head, Connemara, a Sportive or 2, as many greenways as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Bambaata wrote: »
    Ive 2 cracked Cannondale Supersix High Mods now. One was a car hit me and cracked seat tube, other was jammed chain launched the jockey wheel into the seatstay. Both had been repaired but the fork on one has now cracked down and isnt safe and the other has a crack in the other seatstay for reasons unknown! I did crash it with no real impact and not at a great speed (chain slipped as i stood to accereralte out of a corner after a club mate in our club champs) so both are now only good for the turbo!

Training these days on turbo and commute on a heavy Caadx so will need a road bike before season starts next year!
    Same here. Sold 2 bikes to finance a pain cave. No road bike at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Doc07

Fall back in love with the bike and open road and just hope do a few spins to Laragh and up Shay Elliot.
    Had 5 wonderful years of club spins , audaxes, Marmotte&L’Etape, and even some club league placings (does limit count!) but I haven’t cycled on the road in 12 months. Work, Covid, bereavement and a prematurely disintegrated left knee f&cked up my cycling year.
    Onwards and upwards in 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Same here. Sold 2 bikes to finance a pain cave. No road bike at all.

Sold the TCR? How much for out of curiosity?
    Looked at it a few times aas it would have made a great training / winter bike.

Advertisement