Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currency exchange on Saturdays

• 17-11-2020 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I need to get a small amount of Canadian Dollars. Unfortunately, it's too small of an amount for my local Credit Union to order and my local post office only keeps US Dollars and UK pounds. I have to go into the city for an appointment this weekend, does anyone know somewhere I can buy some in the city?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I need to get a small amount of Canadian Dollars. Unfortunately, it's too small of an amount for my local Credit Union to order and my local post office only keeps US Dollars and UK pounds. I have to go into the city for an appointment this weekend, does anyone know somewhere I can buy some in the city?

Thank you!

Ulsterbank but you need to pre order if memory serves me correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

Ulsterbank but you need to pre order if memory serves me correctly.

You'd want to check with Ulster Bank. They do open Saturday but don't provide all services.

There's an amazing lack of currency exchanges in Galway City, especially now with Debenhams closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,651 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Panda5000 wrote: »
    There's an amazing lack of currency exchanges in Galway City, especially now with Debenhams closed.

I'd say there is virtually no demand. Lots of people don't even carry cash anymore, much less want it in obscure currencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

How about the main post office on Eglington street. Maybe phone ahead in case you need to order. Google says it is open on Saturdays but check if this is correct in these covid times.
    https://www.anpost.com/Money/Foreign-Currency/Foreign-Exchange-Cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I don't know if the bigger hotels are open for essential workers. They usually have a small amount for currency exchange, albeit at a highish rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Panda5000 wrote: »

What's the need for them would be my question? Everybody has cards and when going abroad if you need a bit of cash taking from an ATM with N26 or Revout (or one of the others) is by far the cheapest way to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

cooperguy wrote: »
    What's the need for them would be my question? Everybody has cards and when going abroad if you need a bit of cash taking from an ATM with N26 or Revout (or one of the others) is by far the cheapest way to do it

Evidently not "everyone"... Still plenty of older people / people without smartphones / people much happier with cash around.

What's the need for them would be my question?

All I know is I spent a day running around with £150 bouncing between Ulster Bank Tuam Road (don't do exchange anymore), Ulster Bank Eyre Square (currency exchange closed at 3pm or something early), Eglinton Street Post Office (don't buy £) before queueing in Debenhams (now closed)!

I've always had to queue at Debenhams the 4 or 5 times I'd used them, seemed like there was still some demand, mostly from tourists.

Can you do currency exchange in local banks without having an account? Don't think that's possible in most banks now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I noticed the PO on fr griffin road says they do canandian dollars, they would be open until one on a saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Have to send something to Toronto and include a self addressed envelope for return with a bit of cash to cover postage. Which is a bit of a pain in the arse because it's just documentation so postage isn't expensive so I don't need a large amount so no option to order locally.

I'd say there is virtually no demand. Lots of people don't even carry cash anymore, much less want it in obscure currencies.

Have never had a problem before but that's when the banks were open. With so many branches closed and the lockdown meaning the only day I SHOULD travel into the city is Saturday for my essential trip makes it a bit trickier since most banks will be closed.

Would have thought Canadian Dollars and Australian Dollars would be common enough with so many Irish coming and going between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Have to send something to Toronto and include a self addressed envelope for return with a bit of cash to cover postage. Which is a bit of a pain in the arse because it's just documentation so postage isn't expensive so I don't need a large amount so no option to order locally.

They might have a PayPal account that you can just send them the cash that way

• Registered Users Posts: 45,244 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Revolut even better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Would €10 Canadian be enough?

Thanks for all the answers. In the end I went with a suggestion to try the An Post in Newcastle just up from the Hospital. Got in there and got 20 dollars.

Advertisement