Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouthwash?

• 17-11-2020 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-mouthwash-can-kill-coronavirus-within-30-seconds-study-finds-12134289

"Mouthwash is able to kill COVID-19 within 30 seconds of exposure to it in a laboratory, a scientific study has found."

Very early days ,but if this did become an effective procedure, what might be its uses?

I can see it might have cons even if it was effective (as in loading the air with aerosols if done inconsiderately)

Suppose it was done routinely in dentists (as it is anyway) would that be safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

amandstu wrote: »
    what might be its uses?

It can be used to desinfect the... mouth :) For all other purposes you can find wide spectrum of desinfectants better fit to do the job in each particular case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Better to start carrying around a bottle of mouthwash along with the hand sanitizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Trump was right all along.....they just needed a way to bring disinfectant inside the body!

There will be a study next week saying that shining a really bright torch down your throat can kill covid and we'll all owe the scientific genius Mr D Trump an apology.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

For some reason your link doesn't work OP
    https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-mouthwash-can-kill-coronavirus-within-30-seconds-study-finds-12134289
    The preliminary findings, which are yet to be peer reviewed, come ahead of a clinical trial investigating whether over-the-counter mouthwash can reduce the levels of coronavirus in a patient's saliva.
    Early days but promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭amandstu

biko wrote: »

Fixed the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

How is this surprising. We know that simple soap can kill the virus.

Mouthwash is essentially a disinfectant.

Quelle surprise.

Tzardine wrote: »
    How is this surprising. We know that simple soap can kill the virus.

Mouthwash is essentially a disinfectant.

Quelle surprise.

In the early days I did once wash my mouth out with soap.It Is not pleasant .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Haha

It will be like the WADA drug testing soon

Instead of how to beat a drug test for your sport,it will be how to beat a Covid test

Want to go to a concert, holiday, compete in a sport

Mouthwash up the nose and in the mouth to get rid of Covid temporarily and pass your pcr test

Only an idiot fails a Covid test ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

One of the reasons I use hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash is not only does it kill the specific bacteria that is found in the mouth that causes gum inflammation but it kills all bacteria. Unlike products like Corsodyl that targets just one kind of bacteria. Now I know Covid isn't bacteria but it did occur to me months back that it might kills viruses as well. One thing I do know is it does kill the common cold virus and in fact you can put it diluted in your ears with a dropper when you have a cold to knock it back in terms of the volume of virus present in your system.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Haha

It will be like the WADA drug testing soon

Instead of how to beat a drug test for your sport,it will be how to beat a Covid test

Want to go to a concert, holiday, compete in a sport

Mouthwash up the nose and in the mouth to get rid of Covid temporarily and pass your pcr test

Only an idiot fails a Covid test ;-)

Anal swabs for you then, me hearty.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

AllForIt wrote: »
    One of the reasons I use hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash is not only does it kill the specific bacteria that is found in the mouth that causes gum inflammation but it kills all bacteria. Unlike products like Corsodyl that targets just one kind of bacteria. Now I know Covid isn't bacteria but it did occur to me months back that it might kills viruses as well. One thing I do know is it does kill the common cold virus and in fact you can put it diluted in your ears with a dropper when you have a cold to knock it back in terms of the volume of virus present in your system.

hydrogen peroxide dropped into your ear - diluted or not - seems to me to be unadvisable. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Mouthwash is recommended in Australia and Poland by gp to help with the loss of taste and smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I remember doing a big online pharmacy order in April and taking my time to look into what mouthwash I was ordering and the % of alcohol in it etc

I was ahead of my time :pac:

Seriously though. This just feels like newspaper fodder

Sure, it'll kill it in your mouth. But what about it getting into your ears, nose, eyes and even your hair is one possible way it can get into you

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I remember doing a big online pharmacy order in April and taking my time to look into what mouthwash I was ordering and the % of alcohol in it etc

Sure, it'll kill it in your mouth. But what about it getting into your ears, nose, eyes and even your hair is one possible way it can get into you
    There was some talk about how low viral loads can cause symptomless infections (if I got that right)

Might this be a step in that direction?

Also might it prevent the user from spreading as much virus in the air they might otherwise have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Source? Doesn't sound right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Source? Doesn't sound right.

Our hair follicles are usually open to germs I thought?

They're a living, breathing thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

JDD wrote: »
    hydrogen peroxide dropped into your ear - diluted or not - seems to me to be unadvisable. Just saying.

https://www.boots.ie/otex-express-ear-drops-10ml

There are ear drop products with hydrogen peroxide in them. Or you can just make it yourself more cheaply.

https://www.nh.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Hydrogen-Peroxide-Ear-Drops.pdf
    https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/how-to-clean-your-ear#2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Our hair follicles are usually open to germs I thought?

They're a living, breathing thing

If that were true ,we would all have to live in protective bubbles, as our whole bodies are covid in skin witch is a living porous organ.
    100000 hair follicles on your head alone god knows how many on the rest of your body

Advertisement