Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No more Sandwiches and Orange Juice on Lufthansa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

haphaphap wrote: »
    https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufthansa-group/lufthansa-swiss-and-austrian-airlines-introduce-buy-on-board-on-short-and-medium-haul-network/

As far as I can see the only benefits to flying Lufthansa within Europe after this will be fewer passengers on the plane and maybe perhaps a more convenient departure time but that is not guaranteed.

It's been coming a long time. The benefits of flying Lufthansa & Co in Europe remain the same - their route network through Frankfurt in particular, and for getting out of Europe again to some esoteric destinations. The sandwich and juice never really floated my boat, though on a night flight back to Dublin maybe the free beer was a welcome addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I won’t miss the cheese sandwiches anyway but it was still nice to get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I won’t miss the cheese sandwiches anyway but it was still nice to get them!

You could use the bread as foundations for a building it was that tough...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The micro cans of Warsteiner were my general preference assuming there was no car at the other end of the trip. But the sandwiches were second only to KLM for awfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

The free Warsteiner will be missed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

“The new offer was developed on the basis of feedback from our customers. With the high-quality offer available for purchase, our passengers will be able to decide what they want to eat and drink on their journey.”

I have to say that I am actually happy with the move.
    On a number of occassions I have flown on Lufthansa with an empty stomach and unless you're flying business class then you end up remaining starved, and for longer flights like IRL-DE thats a balls. Equally, if you get stuck at Frankfurt waiting for a connection in the evening when every shaggin place near the gates is already closed, then again you end up starved. Or, if you get the first flight out of Dublin in the morning at 5.10am or whenever that is and you are straight off 2hours on a bus so havent had breakfast, if you dont get something in Dublin airport then you'll have hours more before seeing a bit of food.

Theres times like that when I much prefer the Aer Lingus or Ryanair model of actually having the ability to buy something a little more substantial and I have a vague notion I may have said this in Lufthansa customer surveys.

Another positive, maybe now that Lufthansa doesnt have to cater for the lowest common denominator we might actually get a bit of pork on the German national airline !!! Its hard to beat a ham sambo or some posher version of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Yep, we will finally get ham products (to purchase!)
    From : https://www.lufthansagroup.com/de/newsroom/meldungen/groessere-auswahl-an-bord-qualitaet-und-frische-mit-regionalem-bezug-bei-speisen-und-getraenken.html

The offerings of the various airlines will be also regionally focused, whatever that'll end up like.

csm_Saveurs2_4d6901669a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I flew Luftansa to FRA a few times, those sandwiches were aful! KLM in my experience do the best grub. I used fly AMS-SVO quite a bit and they always had good stuff on offer as well as the can of Heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I've regularly done two hops with them with sod all time to change in FRA (so no time to find real food, especially if the second flight is Schengen internal) and 2 of those sandwiches in a day is tough going. However the free beer was always very welcome! Always amusing when near the front of economy and being the first to ask for beer and the folk already served were like "what?! you can have beer???"

KLM does the best grub for free on Y EU no question

Aegean does full hot food and (dire) free wine down the back

When EI actually did it, the paid for breakfast was a great deal and sold in volume but seemed to disappear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Aegean have the most ridiculously inefficient boarding process I've ever witnessed (only flown one return with them but it was laughably bad both ways) but yes, the flight did improve once it got going and they handed out free booze. More than once from what I remember.

Aegean are best of bad bunch currently, just avoid the wine.

Didn't risk the booze on Aeroflot but it was like EI in the 90's fairly decent nosh on a 3 hour flight.

SAS are useless, Tea and Coffee are free but juice was not...

Nothing worse than a two segment short haul via FRA, the joke being you got both halves of the sandwich... One of the magic things about Germany is any street corner deli even on a noisy Ubahn platform had the most amazing sandwich options that actually look like the above photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Aegean are best of bad bunch currently, just avoid the wine.

Didn't risk the booze on Aeroflot but it was like EI in the 90's fairly decent nosh on a 3 hour flight.

SAS are useless, Tea and Coffee are free but juice was not...

Nothing worse than a two segment short haul via FRA, the joke being you got both halves of the sandwich... One of the magic things about Germany is any street corner deli even on a noisy Ubahn platform had the most amazing sandwich options that actually look like the above photo.

I used fly on from SVO to Sakhalin, no wine for us! When Transaero used do the route the plane had to stop loads of times as people were kicking lumps out of eachother so Aeroflot only served wine to first class. Not even Business.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

well this has run its course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement