Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a D4 in Waterford

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hardybuck wrote: »
    We need to have places to discuss the appointment of judges, planning permissions, lobbying for changes in tax policy etc. without bloody car salesmen and plummers eavesdropping.

so only certain social classes should be a part of these processes?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Vladi_

Riverstown is a biggish council estate but still not as rough as found in town. Generally you'd want to be away from the Prom and holiday homes bit in general to avoid noise from the Dubs and the likes in summer. I don't actually live there though is the big red flag to put on it so maybe others with more on the ground knowledge could help.

That explains a lot of houses up for rent for a decent price in that area (Pebble Beach). Still, I'm moving from one of the roughest areas of Dublin so should be fine for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so only certain social classes should be a part of these processes?

This is a tongue in cheek thread...

On the tennis club - I think anyone would feel welcome there but I can appreciate how it could be a bit daunting if you were going up there new. But I think they put a lot of effort to welcome new members and look after them.

On the golf club - it's just basic etiquette that you have to wear certain clothes, whatever club you're in, and there's no discussion about that. I think Williamstown might be different, but they're not really the same as other clubs.

This is a tongue in cheek thread...

On the tennis club - I think anyone would feel welcome there but I can appreciate how it could be a bit daunting if you were going up there new. But I think they put a lot of effort to welcome new members and look after them.

On the golf club - it's just basic etiquette that you have to wear certain clothes, whatever club you're in, and there's no discussion about that. I think Williamstown might be different, but they're not really the same as other clubs.

i think we get caught up in formalities, it can be used as a method of social distinction, which in turn can cause social segregation, in theory, it shouldnt matter a damn what people wear, to be apart of a group, but i also understand, its not how the world truly works, i even abide by these so called ridiculous social norms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Vladi_ wrote: »
    That explains a lot of houses up for rent for a decent price in that area (Pebble Beach). Still, I'm moving from one of the roughest areas of Dublin so should be fine for me. :D

Try and avoid the "new Tramore" on the ring road, whatever about the merits of the people it's high up, very exposed and windy. Also a fair walk to Aldi if without a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

i think we get caught up in formalities, it can be used as a method of social distinction, which in turn can cause social segregation, in theory, it shouldnt matter a damn what people wear, to be apart of a group, but i also understand, its not how the world truly works, i even abide by these so called ridiculous social norms

I think golf clubs have all sorts as members, and even people who mightn't be able to afford membership can pay fairly affordable green fees and maybe join their local pub golf society etc.

Normally you just have to wear something like a t-shirt with a collar, no football jerseys. Some places don't allow denim, but it's not too restrictive in my experience.

It's up to the members to decide what rules they have though ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Flow Motion

I did a quick google outta interest and this was first on the list:

https://www.enniscorthygc.ie/dress-code/

Probably veers into parody with the pics. Came across a bit Alan Partridge TBH.

I'd agree it should not really matter what you wear as it does not represent what you are really like as a person *but* such is the way of the world we have to go along with things we find unpalatable.

I'd agree it should not really matter what you wear as it does not represent what you are really like as a person *but* such is the way of the world we have to go along with things we find unpalatable.

always interesting to challenge such social norms though, reactions are always interesting!;)

always interesting to challenge such social norms though, reactions are always interesting!;)

I'd wonder if they would refuse say Rory McElroy if he rocked up wearing a pair of jeans and a GAA jersey? Equally well it would be a bit of fun if you decided to wear a dress and go to the clubhouse for a drink? They might be in a bit of pickle with regards to trans legislation etc. by refusing you. Picture standing @ the bar in a dress and beard swiging a pint of Guinness :pac::pac:

I'd wonder if they would refuse say Rory McElroy if he rocked up wearing a pair of jeans and a GAA jersey? Equally well it would be a bit of fun if you decided to wear a dress and go to the clubhouse for a drink? They might be in a bit of pickle with regards to trans legislation etc. by refusing you. Picture standing @ the bar in a dress and beard swiging a pint of Guinness

Ah shur that's my normal attire for a pint anyway, always make sure not to shave for a while as well, anywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I think golf clubs have all sorts as members, and even people who mightn't be able to afford membership can pay fairly affordable green fees and maybe join their local pub golf society etc.

Normally you just have to wear something like a t-shirt with a collar, no football jerseys. Some places don't allow denim, but it's not too restrictive in my experience.

It's up to the members to decide what rules they have though ultimately.

Golf used to have an elitist sort of tinge but I think it has changed a lot. It's a very mainstream sport that a lot of people play in Waterford regardless of class, though I guess places like Williamstown really help make playing golf affordably for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Need some way of keeping the plebs out! imagine playing a sport in a tracksuit! the horror

Golf used to have an elitist sort of tinge but I think it has changed a lot. It's a very mainstream sport that a lot of people play in Waterford regardless of class, though I guess places like Williamstown really help make playing golf affordably for a lot of people.

I used to like playing pitch and putt when I was younger but the stuffiness surrounding golf put me off and the rules/regs esp. attire did not appeal when I got older. Still like to give it a go. Maybe Williamstown might suit? When the Spring comes perhaps. If theres anywhere opened by then!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Vladi_

Try and avoid the "new Tramore" on the ring road, whatever about the merits of the people it's high up, very exposed and windy. Also a fair walk to Aldi if without a car.

Thanks! So you'd say Pebble Beach is ok? In terms of safety, I'm aware it can be noisy in summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No idea to be honest, that whole area hardly existed as a place to live when I was in Tramore - I was at other end of the town in any event.

But it's full of rentals and is cheap and it's by the beach which probably tells it's own tale but there another concern - it's very low lying and flat. When it rains as it has been the place is likely to end up a quagmire.

Have a look at this http://www.pebblebeachtramore.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Snorlaxx wrote: »

So whats Waterfords D4(W4)? Ardkeen? Williamstown etc?

Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Golf is a lot better nowadays in that the snobbery has mostly left it and all types of people can play. Tennis in Waterford still has a ways to go before i could say the same. St Annes are a shocking cliquey lot up there and has more than its fair share of snobby pr!cks who still think that unless you are a solicitor living in Kings Channel and driving the latest BMW, you dont exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

2 separate conversations going on here. One mentioning golf, the other Pebble Beach.

If only we could find some common ground...

kuang1 wrote: »
    2 separate conversations going on here. One mentioning golf, the other Pebble Beach.

golf on the beach?

Kids skimming pebbles across the fairways and building castles in the sand bunkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'll assume both of ye are playing dumb for the sake of humour :)

https://www.pebblebeach.com/golf/pebble-beach-golf-links/

I'll assume both of ye are playing dumb for the sake of humour :)

https://www.pebblebeach.com/golf/pebble-beach-golf-links/

humour doesnt have a patch on my dumbness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Cant believe you went to the time to do a list!,and for what its worth Kill St Lawrence is a ****hole!,also no Johns Park?

Why is kill st Lawrence a ****hole. Don't really know the estate that well but houses look like of a decent quality.

Advertisement