Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pearl jam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

There was some issue with the tour support band, I can't remember what. But someone pulled out, or there was confusion over contracts and they weren't being covered for that. There was a **** up anyway, think it might have been Wolfmother.

Anyway, he told a funny story about it on the radio around then, he was only informed that morning. He tells the tale, saying he was eating his cornflakes and Desmond from MCD called him.

And here was I going to say the booker sat down to watch Coronation Street the night before and suddenly realised he/she forgot to sort it!

Wolfmother would have been great!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Mushy wrote: »
    And here was I going to say the booker sat down to watch Coronation Street the night before and suddenly realised he/she forgot to sort it!

Wolfmother would have been great!

Shur poor Paddy...He looked mortified! :D
    He standing there with his shiny green acoustic, singing "Saints and Sinners" the vast majority of the crowd either , standing staring or shouts of wtf are you doing here.

Deffo one of the strangest support acts.

Nearly as strange as Jerry Fish supporting Radiohead in the Point ..... :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Yeah I remember later Eddie thanking Paddy Casey and some boos going around the crowd.

The time after I just caught the end of Ben Harper; used to listen to him loads (not so much by the time of the gig) so would've liked to have seen him but couldn't make it on time. He was certainly a better fit as a support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Amazed it wasn't Bressie or his band.

Use to infuriate me to see some great support bands on European tours and then when they turned up in Ireland it changed to some local act.

I haven't listened to the new album (on it's own) in a while. Some of the songs keep turning up on my Spotify Daily Mix and really enjoy them.

Would love to see them live again.

• Advertisement

Yeah I remember later Eddie thanking Paddy Casey and some boos going around the crowd.

The time after I just caught the end of Ben Harper; used to listen to him loads (not so much by the time of the gig) so would've liked to have seen him but couldn't make it on time. He was certainly a better fit as a support.

Saw Ben Harper in Hyde park supporting them... in 2010 ! :confused:

I think thats the last time i have seen them .... its been so long , i cant remember.
    I was due to go to Hyde pk again this year, but its off until next summer....

greenspurs wrote: »
    Saw Ben Harper in Hyde park supporting them... in 2010 ! :confused:

I think thats the last time i have seen them .... its been so long , i cant remember.
    I was due to go to Hyde pk again this year, but its off until next summer....

That was my last time too until Rome in 2018. Stupidly left early to beat the rush, and missed Rearviewmirror, Black, and Alive... in fairness the gig was moving into it's 3rd hour and masses of people were leaving. Public transport is rubbish in Rome and I wanted to make sure we could get a taxi (which we did). Was a great gig up to that point.

Had tickets for Hyde Park this year and now have tickets for both nights next year! Hoping they play Rearviewmirror at at least one of the shows!

That was my last time too until Rome in 2018. Stupidly left early to beat the rush, and missed Rearviewmirror, Black, and Alive... in fairness the gig was moving into it's 3rd hour and masses of people were leaving. Public transport is rubbish in Rome and I wanted to make sure we could get a taxi (which we did). Was a great gig up to that point.

Had tickets for Hyde Park this year and now have tickets for both nights next year! Hoping they play Rearviewmirror at at least one of the shows!

We were on holiday near Venice at that time, i looked into going to the rome gig, but it worked out very awkward, and expensive (taxi) , so i didnt do it .... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭flasher0030

There was some issue with the tour support band, I can't remember what. But someone pulled out, or there was confusion over contracts and they weren't being covered for that. There was a **** up anyway, think it might have been Wolfmother.

Anyway, he told a funny story about it on the radio around then, he was only informed that morning. He tells the tale, saying he was eating his cornflakes and Desmond from MCD called him.

Paddy Casey is alright. His first 2 albums are good. I have no idea what he produced after that. But Sweet suburban sky is a good tune. And lots of decent tunes on Living.

Meh. Was typical "Irish singer songwriter" stuff. Him and Mundy and Damien Rice and all that shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

You left a pearl jam gig early.......... in rome...........Because it was going into the 3rd hour........... missing black and alive .........get out, get out and don't come back.

You left a pearl jam gig early.......... in rome...........Because it was going into the 3rd hour........... missing black and alive .........get out, get out and don't come back.

I know I know, I was with a few people and one wasn't a huge fan and was beginning to complain... In fairness they were on their third encore playing Comfortably Numb and I figured that was the last song. Forgetting of course that they always play Alive and Rocking in the Free World and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Roanmore wrote: »
    Amazed it wasn't Bressie or his band.

Use to infuriate me to see some great support bands on European tours and then when they turned up in Ireland it changed to some local act.

What's wrong with local acts supporting big bands on European tours? It's the way it should be.

Granadino wrote: »
    What's wrong with local acts supporting big bands on European tours? It's the way it should be.

Absolutley agree .

But the support act must compliment the Headliners type of music.

Paddy Casey -> Pearl Jam
    Jerry Fish -> Radiohead

Thats just 2 i can remember, but its leaving the support act open for ridicule to play in front of a crowd of different type/genre of music! Its not really fair on them.
    Personally , i am a fan of Paddy Casey since he started, but not everyone in the Point was :P :)

I think Greenspurs said it best. I’ve seen many support bands in my time who were excellent.
    The whole Bressie thing became a joke and when you see a decent band as support and then changed you can feel a bit cheated especially the price of the tickets in Ireland.

Roanmore wrote: »
    I think Greenspurs said it best. I’ve seen many support bands in my time who were excellent.
    The whole Bressie thing became a joke and when you see a decent band as support and then changed you can feel a bit cheated especially the price of the tickets in Ireland.

Also, if the aim is to give local bands a break you could also give them a third slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭fluke

The support should compliment the overall bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭DoubleD

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

:D

I left a PJ gig early. In my defence, I had tonsillitis and I thought I was going to die. T'was the first of the London shows in 2018, and I knew that if I didn't leave at the start of RITFW, it'd be at least another hour in crowds before I got to bed.

I'm not proud of it, but I was so happy when Ed was also sick and they couldn't play night 2 :o

jenizzle wrote: »

I left a PJ gig early. In my defence, I had tonsillitis and I thought I was going to die. T'was the first of the London shows in 2018, and I knew that if I didn't leave at the start of RITFW, it'd be at least another hour in crowds before I got to bed.

I'm not proud of it, but I was so happy when Ed was also sick and they couldn't play night 2 :o

The good thing about night 2 being cancelled was that when it eventually did happen, it was a helluva gig and set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

fluke wrote: »
    The good thing about night 2 being cancelled was that when it eventually did happen, it was a helluva gig and set.

It sure was! That was an amazing night. Hearing "Around the Bend" and "Fatal" live were highlights. Nice to remember gigs like that in a rough time!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    It sure was! That was an amazing night. Hearing "Around the Bend" and "Fatal" live were highlights. Nice to remember gigs like that in a rough time!

I forgot Around The Bend was that night too. So many firsts live that night, and Riot Act got a sizeable representation :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

jenizzle wrote: »

Im glad someone was happy about night 2. I Spent a small fortune getting to London for what would have been my first PJ gig. I'm still not over it. I couldn't make the rescheduled gig

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

greenspurs wrote: »
    Does anyone know how Paddy Casey ended up 'supporting' PEaRl JAm in the Point in 2006 ?

I have asked the man himself, and he cant remember !
    It has always baffled me how it happened !

Posted this here before but i'll do it again

Moved to Ireland in June 2006 and started work for Sword Event guard, was only a short term thing until main job came through, i was down to work a few gigs (including Pearl Jam) but my main role was night security at the Point, 17:00 - 07:00.

Turned up on the monday i think it was and a band were loading gear in, was Pearl Jam and they were getting stage/lighting set up for Euro tour, Arrived into work on Tuesday night and Pearl Jam played a 2 hr+ set to rehearse, to nobody, i just sat on the balcony enjoying it all.

When everyone left for the night, at around 3am i had a go on the drums, as ya would :pac::pac:

Some experience that was, and i was getting paid for it.

Remember before the gig i was chatting to Eddie, he was going around the floor on his skateboard, sound as fcuk he was

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

scudzilla wrote: »
    Posted this here before but i'll do it again

Moved to Ireland in June 2006 and started work for Sword Event guard, was only a short term thing until main job came through, i was down to work a few gigs (including Pearl Jam) but my main role was night security at the Point, 17:00 - 07:00.

Turned up on the monday i think it was and a band were loading gear in, was Pearl Jam and they were getting stage/lighting set up for Euro tour, Arrived into work on Tuesday night and Pearl Jam played a 2 hr+ set to rehearse, to nobody, i just sat on the balcony enjoying it all.

When everyone left for the night, at around 3am i had a go on the drums, as ya would :pac::pac:

Some experience that was, and i was getting paid for it.

Remember before the gig i was chatting to Eddie, he was going around the floor on his skateboard, sound as fcuk he was

great story you lucky baxtard, fans would pay big big money for that opportunity. Fair play

Was never in the old point but heard it was a ****hole

PTH2009 wrote: »
    great story you lucky baxtard, fans would pay big big money for that opportunity. Fair play

It wasn't too bad in fairness. I have a lot of good gig memories associated with it. Including Metallica ('99) and PJ there ('00 and '06).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I was there for Pearl Jam in '96 and '00, Foo Fighters in '02 and Rolling Stones in '03. I couldn't fault it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Penfailed wrote: »
    I was there for Pearl Jam in '96 and '00, Foo Fighters in '02 and Rolling Stones in '03. I couldn't fault it.
    fluke wrote: »
    It wasn't too bad in fairness. I have a lot of good gig memories associated with it. Including Metallica ('99) and PJ there ('00 and '06).

ah mix of the mediocre and the Celtic tiger years of irish life :D:D

At the time it was prob the best Irish venue and as ye said no ****s were given what the venue was like once a quality act was playing there

Saw my first ever gig there! Pixies in 1991.

The sound was never great in the Point. Depends on where stood. It's nothing like the 3Arena now though; any gig I've been to there has had great sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sound was never good but still liked it as a venue. First one there was The Offspring in 2004. Think ozzy Osbourne may have been last one

Advertisement