Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Love and monsters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I love a cheesy oul monster movie/creature feature. Michael Rooker's presence is a bonus!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Embed your videos man! :D

That does indeed look like it could be fun, the "creature feature" is a lost genre and a faintly original take on the concept too. Refreshing to see a post-apocalypse that isn't zombie-based lol

The card at the end suggests it's a digital release and may be on Amazon Prime this side of the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is online now.
    I am a sucker for these end of the world monster type movies.
    It is very fun in tone generally, sweet, I liked it a lot.
    They do a lot with the budget I have to say as well.

Oh and the dog!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was a fairly good cheesy monster movie, definitely looked like a bigger budget production than it is as well. Perfect popcorn movie.

gmisk wrote: »
    This is online now.
    I am a sucker for these end of the world monster type movies.
    It is very fun in tone generally, sweet, I liked it a lot.
    They do a lot with the budget I have to say as well.

Oh and the dog!!!!

Feel pretty sorry for the makers, if it came out in normal times, it would be the start of a new franchise.

• Advertisement

Feel pretty sorry for the makers, if it came out in normal times, it would be the start of a new franchise.
    Very much so, I could definitely see a sequel and plenty of places they could go with it.
    Who knows if it does insanely well in streaming etc.
    They did a massive amount with a 30m budget!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This is my Friday night sorted. Yay! Monster movie! :)

Coincidentally, we just watched all the Maze Runner movies (not bad actually). Was wondering what happened yer man from them.
    gmisk wrote: »
    Oh and the dog!!!!
    Nothing bad happens the dog, right? Because I ain't watching if it does.

Dades wrote: »
    This is my Friday night sorted. Yay! Monster movie! :)

Coincidentally, we just watched all the Maze Runner movies (not bad actually). Was wondering what happened yer man from them.

Nothing bad happens the dog, right? Because I ain't watching if it does.
    I enjoyed this more than the maze runner films but I watched them all as well.

Dog based spoiler below
    the dog lives! The dog is also great in it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Love and Monsters

Really enjoyed this. Love a good monster flick. This is more about the journey though. Nice movie. recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

A good as it gets for this type of thing. Lighthearted monster movie with some good set pieces and a fairly novel story. Could attract a cult following like Starship Troopers. Ideal for a night in with the family with popcorn and M&Ms. Recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

Agree with all the above, good easy family monster flcik.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wanna say I read this cost 30 million and if so, it's amazing how far these smaller productions can stretch a supposedly "modest" purse. A film like this lives or dies on the strength of its titular monsters and they were all brilliantly executed. For once the CGI had a tactile quality, the giant bugs possessing a squishy physicality that absolutely sold the danger and their presence on screen.

Enjoyed this a lot; kinda predicted the plot beats but that's ok. It's not the kind of movie that's trying to keep the viewer guessing, but to hit the tropes with confidence and sell the adventure. Which it did, so job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Where is it on?

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wanna say I read this cost 30 million and if so, it's amazing how far these smaller productions can stretch a supposedly "modest" purse. A film like this lives or dies on the strength of its titular monsters and they were all brilliantly executed. For once the CGI had a tactile quality, the giant bugs possessing a squishy physicality that absolutely sold the danger and their presence on screen.

Enjoyed this a lot; kinda predicted the plot beats but that's ok. It's not the kind of movie that's trying to keep the viewer guessing, but to hit the tropes with confidence and sell the adventure. Which it did, so job done.

Yep, cost 30 million. Didn't rely on overdone cgi which would have reduced budget but also guess the lack of big names kept the budget down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Watched this on Netflix last night.

It's a little by the numbers in terms of plot, but it's just really good.
    Dylan O'Brien is strong as the lead (I'd only seen him in the first two Maze Runner movies - I'll finish these one day).
    The rest of the cast are strong, when required.

For a "monster" movie, it's very wholesome.
    Definitely has franchise potential, but it's a solid standalone movie anyway.

Advertisement