Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best headset

• 15-11-2020 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭

I have probably an unusual question.

I have serious surround sound system but I want to play online with my new series X/S I'm going to get

What headset do I need that will just allow me to talk to friends but that game audio will not come out of?

I.e I want game audio not to be routed through this headset I literally want the headset to talk to my mate..

I have wireless Bluetooth headphones with speech ability, will they work?

I have literally 0 experience with online gaming so need advice. Myself and my friend who is London just bought consoles and want to play each other but just have headsets for chat. Neither are serious gamers just want to multiplayer with each other.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wolfgang Megahertz

Goose81 wrote: »

I have serious surround sound system but I want to play online with my new series X/S I'm going to get

What headset do I need that will just allow me to talk to friends but that game audio will not come out of?

I.e I want game audio not to be routed through this headset I literally want the headset to talk to my mate..

I have literally 0 experience with online gaming so need advice. Myself and my friend who is London just bought consoles and want to play each other but just have headsets for chat. Neither are serious gamers just want to multiplayer with each other.

Thanks

If you have audio coming out your soundsystem, the headset will probably pick that up, making it a nightmare for anyone you're in a chat with.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

Thanks

Buy a microphone not a headset.
    (Gonna be trash for the people you are speaking to though, they are gonna hear your game and their own voices back.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I wouldn't completely agree with what's being said above. I play with surround sound speakers and a dedicated chat only Headset. There's no issues with sound bleed as long as the speakers aren't up to silly levels and the wife would usually be at me before my fellow party members. :P

Depends on what kind of headset you're after but I just use a simple enough one ear cup turtle beach one that wasn't that expensive. Comfortable over the (one) ear and the mic seems to do the job, meaning instill get the full effect from my existing sound system.

I would say just don't go super cheap, as you'll probably hit the bleed issues more there, as well as possible comfort issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Surprised at the answers above. Get a noise cancelling headset and it should cancel out most of the sound of the speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I'm looking for a pair for my series S. I'm not in the market for top of the range, just a decent pair for decent immersive sound and mic is not really a concern.

Has anyone got any experience with the wired Steelseries Arctis 1 headphones? They are €60 online in the places I've looked. Is that a good deal?

Edit: bit of a long shot but would the PS4 gold headset work on the new Xboxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a pair for my series S. I'm not in the market for top of the range, just a decent pair for decent immersive sound and mic is not really a concern.

Has anyone got any experience with the wired Steelseries Arctis 1 headphones? They are €60 online in the places I've looked. Is that a good deal?

I picked up the Artics 3 for about €85 and I'm very happy with them. Great sound, very comfortable and the retractable mic is great for playing single player games when I need to keep the TV volume down. No complaints on the Mic quality from people I play with either.

From what I can see the headband looks different between the 1 & the 3, but looks pretty similar other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Goose81

Just to add to this again, we need more help with the audio.

When playing against each other in a game, our headsets won't work and have no volume but we are playing against each other whereas it will work in party mode.

So we basically have to stay in party mode to be able to talk to each other, we can't figure out why.

Nothing is muted and there clearly is nothing wrong with the headsets because they work in party mode.

Anyone any ideas?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I got Astro A20 for my xbox one X a while ago and I was shocked how good and comfy they are. I needed wireless headset and it works perfectly. When on sale, I think you can get them for around 100eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I never used a headset before lockdown. Then all of a sudden a few of the lads from home wanted a game of COD most nights so I picked up a pair of cheap (£10ish) Sonys with an inline mic and to be fair, they work very well afaik. It's just a 3.5mm jack into the controller which is a very convenient feature. So on to my rudimentary questions. . .

What am I missing out by not having a more expensive set? Just audio quality?
    I see mention of wireless headphones. Is there a need for this when they can just plug into the controller?

theteal wrote: »
    I never used a headset before lockdown. Then all of a sudden a few of the lads from home wanted a game of COD most nights so I picked up a pair of cheap (£10ish) Sonys with an inline mic and to be fair, they work very well afaik. It's just a 3.5mm jack into the controller which is a very convenient feature. So on to my rudimentary questions. . .

What am I missing out by not having a more expensive set? Just audio quality?
    I see mention of wireless headphones. Is there a need for this when they can just plug into the controller?

Can you explain how you even got the chat working, me and the lads can't play at all with chat apart from party mode..

Your missing out on nothing, I have a surround sound system worth 3 grand and a 20 euro headset is more fun with that muted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Just to add to this again, we need more help with the audio.

When playing against each other in a game, our headsets won't work and have no volume but we are playing against each other whereas it will work in party mode.

So we basically have to stay in party mode to be able to talk to each other, we can't figure out why.

Nothing is muted and there clearly is nothing wrong with the headsets because they work in party mode.

Anyone any ideas?
    Thanks
    It’s not Modern Warfare yer playing by any chance ?

It’s not Modern Warfare yer playing by any chance ?

No we are playing old games.

McIlroy golf from 2015 and FIFA 20 and Forza 4 the new updated one

It's so annoying like this is what we bought it for.

Are you having problems aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

No we are playing old games.

McIlroy golf from 2015 and FIFA 20 and Forza 4 the new updated one

It's so annoying like this is what we bought it for.

Are you having problems aswell?

I’m not. but I was in game chat last night with a few lads Last night On COD as we were playing with a guy on PS4. We had to manually unmute each other in the in-game lobby party, for some reason It showed us as muted. Party chat worked perfectly. It’s very rare I’d use in game chat. It’s **** on the vast majority of games.

I’m not. but I was in game chat last night with a few lads Last night On COD as we were playing with a guy on PS4. We had to manually unmute each other in the in-game lobby party, for some reason It showed us as muted. Party chat worked perfectly. It’s very rare I’d use in game chat. It’s **** on the vast majority of games.

What do people usually do then?

Is party mode what most people would use..

Is there any drawbacks or differences in your experience

There's a setting in COD to only hear your team/party so you don't have to go messing/muting during every game, took us a while to find that

Can you explain how you even got the chat working, me and the lads can't play at all with chat apart from party mode..

Your missing out on nothing, I have a surround sound system worth 3 grand and a 20 euro headset is more fun with that muted.

Not really sure what to tell you, there's 4 of us (3*xb, 1*ps) and when online sombody will send the game invite around. There's a sound setting in COD to only hear your team/friends (i'd have to look it up to be certain) and that means we don't have to go muting/messing with settings in each game

Also yes, the main sound system will be staying in the living room with the "old" One X for films on the good TV.
    The Series X will be going in the back room with a new TV (most likely Sony XH90) but it definitely won't be getting a sound system so I'd be willing to pay a bit for a good headset, if it was worth it.

What do people usually do then?

Is party mode what most people would use..

Is there any drawbacks or differences in your experience

Why are you looking to leave party mode? That's exactly what it is for. Invite the people you want and chat away even if you're doing different things or playing different games (you can of course also play the same game!). Unless you actually want to talk/listen to other people not n your party in a game, then there's never a need to leave party mode.

There's never a reason to leave party mode to chat to people you're playing with if they are the only people you wish to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

I got the Hyper X Cloud X Stinger Core on Amazon for €40 the other day. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eugene Victor Tooms

Got a Turtle Beach Stealth 600 2nd Gen today. Pretty good in fairness. Noise cancelling is excellent. The missus was in the same room as me for 5 minutes before I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

Got a Turtle Beach Stealth 600 2nd Gen today. Pretty good in fairness. Noise cancelling is excellent. The missus was in the same room as me for 5 minutes before I noticed.

Similar boat with mine. When I take them off while action is still happening I'd swear the tele is still on. I'd love to hear what the €200 headsets sound like but I won't be making that kind of dedication.

• Advertisement

From a little "research" I've found that good wireless sets are expensive. Good multi channel wired ones are are not too bad on cost but it's not a 3.5mm jack, they need USB connections etc too so that means a cable running across the room - not happening. So that leaves me back to plugging the 3.5mm jack into the controller as I currently am and it works great as far as I'm concerned. I'm using a £12 Sony set with inline mic like you'd use connected to your phone.

Am I going to see much of an improvement by spending a few quid?
    What would people recommend? I suppose i'd set £100 aside for this, could go higher if it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭micks_address

Can you use something like the sony xm3 noise cancelling bluetooth headphones with the xbox series x?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

[I am having serious issues with my headset but i have read that the series x controller doesn't work well with the turtle beach headset. So I'm using an old controller and the sound is perfect. Hopefully Turtle beach will sort out that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eugene Victor Tooms

From a little "research" I've found that good wireless sets are expensive. Good multi channel wired ones are are not too bad on cost but it's not a 3.5mm jack, they need USB connections etc too so that means a cable running across the room - not happening. So that leaves me back to plugging the 3.5mm jack into the controller as I currently am and it works great as far as I'm concerned. I'm using a £12 Sony set with inline mic like you'd use connected to your phone.

Am I going to see much of an improvement by spending a few quid?
    What would people recommend? I suppose i'd set £100 aside for this, could go higher if it's worth it.

£100 is loads imo. You'll see a HUGE difference when you buy a decent headset. As I was saying earlier in the thread, I bought a set of Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 for 100 quid in Smyth's last week. They're really good and I'd defo recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

£100 is loads imo. You'll see a HUGE difference when you buy a decent headset. As I was saying earlier in the thread, I bought a set of Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 for 100 quid in Smyth's last week. They're really good and I'd defo recommend.

Well worth investing in a good headset. Arctis series 9x with Dolby Atmos is a game changer. I could never go back

dines08 wrote: »
    Well worth investing in a good headset. Arctis series 9x with Dolby Atmos is a game changer. I could never go back

But am I going to get atmos via the 3.5mm jack in the controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

But am I going to get atmos via the 3.5mm jack in the controller?

A quick search suggest it does. The Steelseries are wireless, also there is a one off subscription to dolby access on xbox for €17.99 but i couldn't recommend it enough. It depends on your current set up. If you have a soundbar or sound system with Atmos already then it might not be as much of a benefit. I use the tv for audio when not using the headset but even for Netflix or any content with enhanced audio the headset gets priority.

That Dolby Access App is also currently 30% off and €12.49 or so on the Xbox store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

Looking for a little advice.

The Razor Kracken is going for €50 in Smyth's. Is it worth buying? Or are there better options in and around that price?

Thanks

Advertisement