Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there a D4 in Waterford

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What's this obsession with modernising old homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Because the design of period homes are beautiful.

The Georgian period in particular is always the most popular due to their symmetry and grandeur, but you'll see a lot of Irish properties from the early 20th century with beautiful brickwork etc. that was lost from the era of the bungalow blitz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Because while the exterior design and certain aspects of the interior (high ceilings, large bay windows) are beautiful. Modern interior design is far more aesthetically pleasing. If you've the money to renovate a house like that properly you get the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

hardybuck wrote: »
    The Georgian period in particular is always the most popular due to their symmetry and grandeur, but you'll see a lot of Irish properties from the early 20th century with beautiful brickwork etc. that was lost from the era of the bungalow blitz.

It amazes me that despite the passing of say a hundred years and all the progress made in the world in general that a house designed and built in say
    the 20th or 19th century looks and works a lot better than the vast majority of houses built today?? I know a few lads working in construction and they say judging by the amount of estates built during the boom a high percentage will have "issues" down the line as most were "thrown up" at break neck speed and not all the regs were strictly followed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was always of the opinion that the Dunmore Road area was the "posh" part of Waterford.

Waterford city doesn't really have anything that can compare with Dublin 4 in terms of the level and extent of wealth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was always of the opinion that the Dunmore Road area was the "posh" part of Waterford.
    /QUOTE]

Newtown, Maypark, Kings Channel and Ballinakill would be the nicest areas in Waterford City.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

/QUOTE]

Newtown, Maypark, Kings Channel and Ballinakill would be the nicest areas in Waterford City.

I’m sure you meant to add, ‘in your opinion’ to this?

/QUOTE]

Sure is a lot of traffic out that direction. And notions ;)!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It’s also important to remember that the postal code area of Dublin 4, although generally very affluent, is not homogenous and contains pockets of traditionally working class locales such as Ringsend and the South Lotts areas (although the latter areas are now being gentrified and are very expensive in terms of house prices and rents).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭bullpost

It’s also important to remember that the postal code area of Dublin 4, although generally very affluent, is not homogenous and contains pockets of traditionally working class locales such as Ringsend and the South Lotts areas (although the latter areas are now being gentrified and are very expensive in terms of house prices and rents).

I dont think D4 really refers to an area so much as a mindset these days. Its short-hand for South County Dublin middle-class.

• Advertisement

Best areas in Waterford City (in my opinion)

1. Maypark/Kings Channel
    2. Newtown
    3. Ballinakill
    4. Grange Park
    5. Williamstown Road
    6. Dunmore Road
    7. Upper Grange
    8. Rockshire Road, Ferrybank
    9. Upper Gracedieu
    10. Abbey Road, Ferrybank
    11. Kill st Lawrence
    12. Foxwood/Toblerone Houses
    13. Cleaboy/Norwood
    14. Lismore Park/Lawn
    15. New Ross Road, Ferrybank
    16. Kilcohan
    17. Barrack Street area
    18. Lisduggan/Larchville
    19. Ballybeg
    20. Carrickpherish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

1. Maypark/Kings Channel
    2. Newtown
    3. Ballinakill
    4. Grange Park
    5. Williamstown Road
    6. Dunmore Road
    7. Upper Grange
    9. Upper Gracedieu
    11. Kill st Lawrence
    13. Cleaboy/Norwood
    14. Lismore Park/Lawn
    16. Kilcohan
    17. Barrack Street area
    18. Lisduggan/Larchville
    19. Ballybeg
    20. Carrickpherish

13 Norwood...really? Bit of an anti social element there in my view. Wouldnt like to be walking through there at night put it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

1. Maypark/Kings Channel
    2. Newtown
    3. Ballinakill
    4. Grange Park
    5. Williamstown Road
    6. Dunmore Road
    7. Upper Grange
    9. Upper Gracedieu
    11. Kill st Lawrence
    13. Cleaboy/Norwood
    14. Lismore Park/Lawn
    16. Kilcohan
    17. Barrack Street area
    18. Lisduggan/Larchville
    19. Ballybeg
    20. Carrickpherish

Abbey Road and New Ross Road, Ferrybank! The mind boggles.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Abbey Road and New Ross Road, Ferrybank! The mind boggles.

New Greenway on your doorstep on the abbey road and lovely new park and primary care centre on the new ross road have added to these areas. North quays should also help improve them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

1. Maypark/Kings Channel
    2. Newtown
    3. Ballinakill
    4. Grange Park
    5. Williamstown Road
    6. Dunmore Road
    7. Upper Grange
    9. Upper Gracedieu
    11. Kill st Lawrence
    13. Cleaboy/Norwood
    14. Lismore Park/Lawn
    16. Kilcohan
    17. Barrack Street area
    18. Lisduggan/Larchville
    19. Ballybeg
    20. Carrickpherish

Cant believe you went to the time to do a list!,and for what its worth Kill St Lawrence is a ****hole!,also no Johns Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Cant believe you went to the time to do a list!,and for what its worth Kill St Lawrence is a ****hole!,also no Johns Park?

Yeah im sure he meant to put Johns Park as 100. he only did a list with 20 entries!!

What is the least grubby part of a fairly dour city is like 2 baldies fighting over a comb. The best area of Waterford city in any case is..... Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

What is the least grubby part of a fairly dour city is like 2 baldies fighting over a comb. The best area of Waterford city in any case is..... Tramore.

You're so ****ing boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Vladi_

And is there a bad area in Tramore (looking to move ðŸ˜)?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

1. Maypark/Kings Channel 2. Newtown 3. Ballinakill 4. Grange Park 5. Williamstown Road 6. Dunmore Road 7. Upper Grange 8. Rockshire Road, Ferrybank 9. Upper Gracedieu 10. Abbey Road, Ferrybank 11. Kill st Lawrence 12. Foxwood/Toblerone Houses 13. Cleaboy/Norwood 14. Lismore Park/Lawn 15. New Ross Road, Ferrybank 16. Kilcohan 17. Barrack Street area 18. Lisduggan/Larchville 19. Ballybeg 20. Carrickpherish

Near the bottom of the list for me, I'm proud!

• Advertisement

Vladi_ wrote: »
    And is there a bad area in Tramore (looking to move ðŸ˜)?

Riverstown is a biggish council estate but still not as rough as found in town. Generally you'd want to be away from the Prom and holiday homes bit in general to avoid noise from the Dubs and the likes in summer. I don't actually live there though is the big red flag to put on it so maybe others with more on the ground knowledge could help.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Near the bottom of the list for me, I'm proud!

I'm conflicted a bit looking at the list. Barrack St ish area is a bit rough round the edges and has plenty of "characters" but Kilcohan/St Herblain are always feels a good bit rougher tbh. The estates are always a bit more bleak as unlike the older corpo terraces in the city, the houses and environment around have no character or redeeming features.

I'm conflicted a bit looking at the list. Barrack St ish area is a bit rough round the edges and has plenty of "characters" but Kilcohan/St Herblain are always feels a good bit rougher tbh. The estates are always a bit more bleak as unlike the older corpo terraces in the city, the houses and environment around have no character or redeeming features.

housing estates are rough around the edges, we ve never truly sorted housing, if there even is a way of doing so, we build out of necessity, but very rarely consider the larger needs of those that will occupy these buildings, i cant actually ever see us getting it right, maybe thats not possible, but we can certainly try a bit harder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

St Annes Tennis Club has come across as snobby by some people I know. Wonder is it true. I do notice the posh cars that are always outside there

St Annes Tennis Club has come across as snobby by some people I know. Wonder is it true. I do notice the posh cars that are always outside there

ah i think its that kinna sport to be honest, but i know all sorts that have passed through the place, i certainly wouldnt allow it to put me off going there, if thats what i was into

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Used to be a tennis club up in Ard Na Greine. What happened with it?

Used to be the case that you'd have a long waiting list to get in, but that's gone now and anyone can become a member.

They used to be very strict regarding what type of gear you could wear etc, but that's all gone now too.

Running out of places to escape the working classes now unfortunately.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Used to be the case that you'd have a long waiting list to get in, but that's gone now and anyone can become a member.

They used to be very strict regarding what type of gear you could wear etc, but that's all gone now too.

Running out of places to escape the working classes now unfortunately.

whats to escape?

whats to escape?

We need to have places to discuss the appointment of judges, planning permissions, lobbying for changes in tax policy etc. without bloody car salesmen and plummers eavesdropping.

• Advertisement

ah i think its that kinna sport to be honest, but i know all sorts that have passed through the place, i certainly wouldnt allow it to put me off going there, if thats what i was into

You will finds snobs no matter what kinda club or organisation you join or visit. Always some jobsworth looking to take genuine people down a peg or two for no apparent reason. I know a lad that went to play a round of golf in a particular club here in town and was told he was wearing the wrong type of clothes so he could not enter the clubhouse. Another fella wearing the "right" slacks entered said clubhouse, bought a drink and sat down only to be told he could not sit there as "we always sit here its our spot!".:confused:

Advertisement