Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are so many people still going to work

• 16-11-2020 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I had a medical appointment this morning so was out on the road about 8ish. The traffic going in towards town was unbelievable. They couldn't possibly all have been essential workers. The last time we were asked to only go into work if our work was both essential and couldn't be done from home there was huge compliance. But now there seems to be huge ignoring of this restriction and apparently workplaces are one of the causes of figures starting to rise again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭alentejo

I had a medical appointment this morning so was out on the road about 8ish. The traffic going in towards town was unbelievable. They couldn't possibly all have been essential workers. The last time we were asked to only go into work if our work was both essential and couldn't be done from home there was huge compliance. But now there seems to be huge ignoring of this restriction and apparently workplaces are one of the causes of figures starting to rise again.

Schools, construction traffic and workers and manufacturing staff all on the move

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Schools are open. How do you think the kids get to school.

Construction is open.

Manufacturing is open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Yeah I've a feeling it's probably more than just those three industries based on the movement in and out of Cork City.

Still going to work, I know people working in pharma, upholstery, computer shops, the legal profession, counselling and supermarkets.

Pharma, fair enough.

Furniture and computer shops, ridiculous.

Legal profession, counsellors, should all be online but if your boss says ye're open, ye're open.

Personally I don't see why shopping centres need to be open and why they can't just do click and collect on a bigger scale but then I saw the demographics attending Lidl when I was getting in my 5k yesterday and those people all looked like they badly need an excuse to get out of the house. Hopefully it's correct that they're not areas with a lot of spread.

Have to say, the volume of traffic in the evenings really confuses us. Where are so many people in such an insane rush to at 9pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Schools are open. How do you think the kids get to school.

Construction is open.

Manufacturing is open.

LOL, even some "essential workers" are regularly bringing me advertisements into the door (with all their viruses on it, no gloves noticed).

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

People travelling to work in their private cars are hardly spreading Coronavirus now are they.

Worry more about house parties from our delightful citizens out in Tallaght, Darndale etc. Which just so happen to have the highest incident rates in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

They have to go to work to keep themselves, their families and the wider economy afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also, public transport is at 25% capacity. Lots of people are now driving, who wouldn't have previously.

And, ahh ... was your medical appointment really essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

I could absolutely work from home 100% but have been deemed essential and management expect us in a couple of days a week. 3 others in my big office but they’d be the only contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

carpark in airside yesterday at 5pm was bloody mental , wardens directing traffic

i mean why is harvey norman open ? currys ? furniture places had q's outside

woodies a massive q

crazy , you think there wasn't a lockdown and not a gaurd in sight to maybe quiz these shops as to why they are open

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

carpark in airside yesterday at 5pm was bloody mental , wardens directing traffic

woodies a massive q

crazy , you think there wasn't a lockdown and not a gaurd in sight to maybe quiz these shops as to why they are open
    But they're allowed open for selling essential goods, such as electric items. Why wouldn't they be open?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

People travelling to work in their private cars are hardly spreading Coronavirus now are they.

Worry more about house parties from our delightful citizens out in Tallaght, Darndale etc. Which just so happen to have the highest incident rates in Dublin.

Well actually workplaces have become one of the main areas for rising figures, as I said in my opening post.

Also, public transport is at 25% capacity. Lots of people are now driving, who wouldn't have previously.

And, ahh ... was your medical appointment really essential?

Well aaah yes, it was. I should have had it 8 months ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

woodies a massive q

We recently bought a house and we've gone to these shops a lot for essential items. Basic things we just didn't own before like a washing machine, hoover, kettle, wifi booster etc. And woodies for very exciting things like sealant and grout :rolleyes:

I highly doubt everyone going to these shops are desperate for essential items though. A lot of people are just bored sh1tless I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Did they not know Paxton Great Mirage had a medical appointment? Inconsiderate people trying to get to work, school etc and keep some semblance of economy running

Well actually workplaces have become one of the main areas for rising figures, as I said in my opening post.

Proof of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

I've noticed the roads in the mornings busier on my walk to the office (when I go in, I generally play it by ear depending how I feel), even out and about during the day it feels busier, which is odd as there are only food places open so I'm not sure what people are doing. Good to see that people are just getting on with life, it would be better if more places were open for business though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Everyone is sick of the people who do nothing but whinge and moan about people getting on with their lives safely. "Oh look at all these people going out and doing or buying X, Y, Z. I don't need those things in my life so these people are a disgrace.".

road_high wrote: »
    Did they not know BellaBella had a medical appointment? Inconsiderate people trying to get to work, school etc and keep some semblance of economy running

I think you, and the people agreeing with you, have completely misunderstood the point I'm making.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

woodies a massive q

And harvey norman had a 30% sale on ALl goods including bedding and interiors - these were excluded last time & are not ‘essential’ services. Also last lockdown they had click and collect only in HN - and you could not just drift in with your family and saunter around. Its becoming a total joke.

I agree with the OP re all the cars - there are traffic jams ffs. Its a farce.

Also florists , cosmetics shops, hair bauble and gift trinket shops for kids - not essential services. Why are the gaurds not operating any checks afaics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

While I believe that a lot of the morning traffic is due to schools I also think there are plenty going to work who should be working from home, there should be no offices open and so on when the people can easily be working from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Before you go blaming House parties, what about the crowds of people sat outside pubs in the freezing cold and rain drinking pints from plastic cups?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭growleaves

Because money can be exchanged for goods and services?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

It's not a lockdown. I can guarantee you that if pubs opened tomorrow they would be packed on the run up to Xmas. People are selfish and stupid.

road_high wrote: »
    Proof of this?

Tony Holohans statement

GazzaL wrote: »
    Everyone is sick of the people who do nothing but whinge and moan about people getting on with their lives safely. "Oh look at all these people going out and doing or buying X, Y, Z. I don't need those things in my life so these people are a disgrace.".

Yes very bored of these lot poking to their busybody noses into everyone else’s business. Funnily enough, They appear to be able to give running commentary on how many people were in certain places and what they could purchase or not to down to the bed linen. Draw your own conclusions there....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Lol.. yes it's all down in tallaght etc..

Never any dinner parties in clontarf or a sneaky like gathering in Terenure now is there?

Tony Holohans statement

That isn’t actual proof though. It’s it tittle tattle which is his specialty. That and cover ups of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

lemonTrees wrote: »
    It's not a lockdown. I can guarantee you that if pubs opened tomorrow they would be packed on the run up to Xmas. People are selfish and stupid.

That's quite a self-righteous, unpleasant and begrudging statement to make.

That's quite a self-righteous, unpleasant and begrudging statement to make.

But perfectly sums up the woke Corona-atti with their virtue signalling, faux outrage and moral superiority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

woodies a massive q

People getting on with life irrespective as am I.

Advertisement