Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ppv premier league to be scrapped

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Show's you what can happen when Consumer's take a stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Excellent news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Delighted . I had my mind made up even if I won the lotto I wasn’t paying 17e for a game . The greed had to be called a halt somewhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,485 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Show's you what can happen when Consumer's take a stand.

Every radio report I heard included the fact that it is going to be a possibility again in 2021.

"The agreement will be reviewed in the new year following consultation with clubs, broadcast partners and in line with any decisions made by government regarding the return of spectators to stadiums."

People who are prepared to pay the amount they do already for Sky etc, won't all stick together to hold out against PPV. I think it will be a thing in future. All dictated by whether it can turn a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

So, in other words people weren't paying for it and the experiment was a failure.....so lets do something else.
    I think what the PL are realising is that football without fans in the ground is crap and only the most ardent fans will still watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

Every radio report I heard included the fact that it is going to be a possibility again in 2021.

"The agreement will be reviewed in the new year following consultation with clubs, broadcast partners and in line with any decisions made by government regarding the return of spectators to stadiums."

People who are prepared to pay the amount they do already for Sky etc, won't all stick together to hold out against PPV. I think it will be a thing in future. All dictated by whether it can turn a profit.

If it was viable it would have continued through 2020. Why will people start paying for it in 2021 when they wouldn't pay for it in 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,485 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

SteM wrote: »
    If it was viable it would have continued through 2020. Why will people start paying for it in 2021 when they wouldn't pay for it in 2020?

I just think that PPV is a coming thing in sports TV, and fans will get more used to it. According to this report the range of purchases was from 10,000 to 90,000.

https://extra.ie/2020/10/28/sport/soccernews/premier-league-ppv-figures

Fan campaigns have a way of petering out, with sometimes just a small number of hardliners keeping the faith. How many Rovers supporters are still staying away because they are not in Milltown? Or do the full houses in Old Trafford (when that was allowed), give any thought to the FC of Manchester people?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭SteM

I just think that PPV is a coming thing in sports TV, and fans will get more used to it. According to this report the range of purchases was from 10,000 to 90,000.

https://extra.ie/2020/10/28/sport/soccernews/premier-league-ppv-figures

Fan campaigns have a way of petering out, with sometimes just a small number of hardliners keeping the faith. How many Rovers supporters are still staying away because they are not in Milltown? Or do the full houses in Old Trafford (when that was allowed), give any thought to the FC of Manchester people?

They're awful numbers for ppv games, an average of 39000 per game over the first 10 games! PPV might come back next year but it's clear that many cubs won't draw the numbers unless the cost drops significantly. Fan campaigns may stop eventually but the appetite is obviously not there at the current cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It will probably come back but at a more reasonable price.

Advertisement