Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan for 11 storey hotel by the docks

• 11-11-2020 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/plans-for-new-186-bedroom-city-centre-hotel/

I learned of this development not long ago.

Surely this would be a big fat eyesore for Galway just like the big fat eyesore that's sitting in the middle of Salthill that somehow got the go ahead for building.

Usually I'm fairly positive about developments and I look on the bright side. I really don't think this is needed for Galway. There's loads of lovely and great hotels already in Galway. Is there really a need for another one, especially something so big.

I thinks what's needed is an apartment block with perhaps some affordable housing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

owlbethere wrote: »
    I thinks what's needed is an apartment block with perhaps some affordable housing.

Affordable housing? Sure how would that make any sort of return for the investors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Effects wrote: »
    Affordable housing? Sure how would that make any sort of return for the investors?

If affordable apartments can't be provided, maybe just apartments and living quarters. Maybe people who can't afford such places can go ahead and it might free up other areas around the city suburbs.

Even taking out the idea of affordable apartments for a minute out of the equation - 11 story Hotel for place will be an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Place is already full of eyesores. Maybe a newer, better designed building is what's needed?

Effects wrote: »
    Place is already full of eyesores. Maybe a newer, better designed building is what's needed?

I disagree about eyesores down there on the lough atalia road. That building if it goes ahead will tower above Galway and stick out like a sore thumb.

If it gets the go ahead, many galwayians will look at that in many years to come and look at it in the same light that the baily point in salthill is looked at and wonder how it ever got the go ahead.

What is the tallest building Currently in Galway? How many floors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

They have a few plans for Galway- link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

eir building in Mervue is six or seven stories. I wouldn’t be against building up, the city skyline won’t stay the same forever, but I’m not sure how sustainable it will be as a hotel.

Is Summix the same investment group as G Barrett? In fairness they seem to have a development plan for the docks area, since Galway City Council haven’t been able/ seen fit to compile any area development plan for there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

It's most likely someone wanting to build 7 stories. Apply for 11, get told it's too high, reduce to 7 and get approval. Easier than applying for 7 and being told to reduce to 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The applicant is English company Summix.

It might be part of this application
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/galway-development-could-transform-skyline-with-21-storey-tower-1.4178787
    More glass and concrete boxes down at the docks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I don't necessarily think a hotel is a great idea, but Irish cities need to start building up. Urban sprawl no longer works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Au contraire, for workers industrial estates located outside of the city centre is better.
    We can't add 1000s of more workers to an already congested city centre.
    Preferably in places like Clarinbridge and Athenry.

More quaint hotels yes, not glass boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭what_traffic

biko wrote: »
    Au contraire, for workers industrial estates located outside of the city centre is better.

They are doing that right now, that ship has already sailed biko.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »

So yet more people need to drive cars because there's no viable public transport from Moycullen (for example) to Clarenbridge. And industrial estates are horrible to work in and lack the facilities people need (cafe, pharmacy, gym, hairdresser etc).

Pre Covid , there was a massive shortage of hotel space. Business travellers didn't want quaint, they wanted good location and facilities.

Post, we have yet to see.

Comparing number of stories is silly, because it ignores elevation: the City Point building is six stories, but it starts from a far higher point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

the new building at the docks is very visible as you come into town on the Shantel road by cookes corner and destroys the view

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CCat

If it gets the go ahead, many galwayians will look at that in many years to come and look at it in the same light that the baily point in salthill is looked at and wonder how it ever got the go ahead.

I used to hate the Baily Point, but over the years I've grown to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is the Bonham Docks building currently under construction about 8 Floors. Would that be the tallest in Galway right now?

As I've said before, building taller buildings is not a problem, so long as it is done in a coherent, logical and planned manner.

The lack of a LAP for the city center is why you see developers taking shot in the dark, its because there is literally no guidance as to where they should locate them, how high they can be or what they should be comprised of. The absence of this plan lands squarely at the feet of GCC and the Chief Executive. It is their role to create this and councilors role to approve/amend/reject it.

You can like/dislike taller buildings all you want, but its going to be a mess without some sort of master plan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭what_traffic

DaCor wrote: »
    As I've said before, building taller buildings is not a problem, so long as it is done in a coherent, logical and planned manner.

The lack of a LAP for the city center is why you see developers taking shot in the dark, its because there is literally no guidance as to where they should locate them, how high they can be or what they should be comprised of. The absence of this plan lands squarely at the feet of GCC and the Chief Executive. It is their role to create this and councilors role to approve/amend/reject it.

You can like/dislike taller buildings all you want, but its going to be a mess without some sort of master plan

i.e the buzzword is "Developer led planning", but as you point out that is the effect rather than the cause when no LAP (Local Area Plan) exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Stick in a rooftop bar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

So yet more people need to drive cars because there's no viable public transport from Moycullen (for example) to Clarenbridge. And industrial estates are horrible to work in and lack the facilities people need (cafe, pharmacy, gym, hairdresser etc).

Pre Covid , there was a massive shortage of hotel space. Business travellers didn't want quaint, they wanted good location and facilities.

Post, we have yet to see.

Comparing number of stories is silly, because it ignores elevation: the City Point building is six stories, but it starts from a far higher point.

Mrs O, for once I’m in full agreement with you! Height really is subjective, and no matter what one wants to build, it will inconvienience someone else somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I hate that style of architecture.
    All angles and glass.
    In a few years Galway City will look like an old Soviet city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Your Face wrote: »
    I hate that style of architecture.
    All angles and glass.
    In a few years Galway City will look like an old Soviet city.

Brilliant. Moscow is beautiful in the spring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/plans-for-new-186-bedroom-city-centre-hotel/

I learned of this development not long ago.

Surely this would be a big fat eyesore for Galway just like the big fat eyesore that's sitting in the middle of Salthill that somehow got the go ahead for building.

In the context of Bonham Quay and Augustine hill around it, it makes sense to have a decent size building in that section of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

"The developer says that it is “infeasible” to provide the 120.9 car parking spaces which would be required under the city development plan for a project of this scale in both bed spaces, bar space, and restaurant space due to the nature of the site.

It is not proposed to include any car parking, but 14 dedicated bicycle parking spaces each for guests and staff are included in the plans."

That seems daft or at least the way it's worded seems daft. Surely a hotel needs to provide some sort of parking facilities for guests?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭westgolf

grbear wrote: »
    "The developer says that it is “infeasible” to provide the 120.9 car parking spaces which would be required under the city development plan for a project of this scale in both bed spaces, bar space, and restaurant space due to the nature of the site.

It is not proposed to include any car parking, but 14 dedicated bicycle parking spaces each for guests and staff are included in the plans."

That seems daft or at least the way it's worded seems daft. Surely a hotel needs to provide some sort of parking facilities for guests?

Given that this aapplication is for the former Donnelly's coal yard, smaller yard opposite harbour hotel, then the only way they would get 120 spaces is by excavation downwards. The 120 space requirements are based on the plans so easier to omit a basement or three and pay a levy in lieu.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

grbear wrote: »
    "

Complementary parking tickets for Hynes Yard or the multistory carpark inthe Eyre Square Centre would be adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Building a large multistory carpark and allowing businesses & residents to long term rent spaces would be a much better use of space than having lots of surface level car parking all over the city - or having to excavate basements under every building.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Surface car parks are ugly, they should all be underground where possible, especially in a city center

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Surface car parks are ugly, they should all be underground where possible, especially in a city center

Surely underground parking so near the docks would be prone to flooding

• Advertisement

Surely underground parking so near the docks would be prone to flooding

There is already underground parking at the docks

Advertisement