Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renewal letter during covid?

• 13-11-2020 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

My shotgun license went out of date last month just checked it out of curiosity aren't your usually supposed to get a reminder letter is that still going on am I still licensed because of covid or do I have to head into the station and reapply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

cosieman wrote: »
    My shotgun license went out of date last month just checked it out of curiosity aren't your usually supposed to get a reminder letter is that still going on am I still licensed because of covid or do I have to head into the station and reapply?

You normally get a reminder 3 months before it goes out of date. I got mine for the rifle 4 months ago and sent it back straight away filled out. Got the granted letter and one to pay at post office 3 weeks later. I paid it week later at post office and still haven't received my actual licence but I have the letter with proof of payment.
    Don't know why the hold up tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Got a renewal reminder for a pistol. Filled the form and sent it off. Got grant letter about 2 weeks later so don't know what happened with you. Prob the usual when it comes to firearms licensing here. Most people have both a good and bad story re length of time. My first licence took forever but after that a subsequent licence and all renewals has gone smoothly.

I think its business as usual re licensing so you could be in possession of an unlicensed firearm. Maybe your renewal form got lost in the post. I guess all the RFDs are closed so you can't hand it in while you get things sorted. Pretty sure you'll be fine all the same. You should get it sorted though. Someone who knows better than me will be along to help you out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The "reminder" is the FCR. Its not a reminder as much as it's your renewal form that is pre-populated. You receive it up to 3 months prior to the expiry of your current license.

If you didn't get one and your license is expired then you're in possession of an unlicensed firearm so you need to get on your bike and store the gun in an RFDs (or if they're closed the local Garda station) and then request a new FCR be sent out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Cass wrote: »
    The "reminder" is the FCR. Its not a reminder as much as it's your renewal form that is pre-populated. You receive it up to 3 months prior to the expiry of your current license.

If you didn't get one and your license is expired then you're in possession of an unlicensed firearm so you need to get on your bike and store the gun in an RFDs (or if they're closed the local Garda station) and then request a new FCR be sent out.

Are a local station going to accept a firearm for storage though ?

I had an expired licence once for about 4 weeks. Got the paperwork eventually sorted. What are the chances of an unexpected visit ? In over 10 years of owning firearms I've had one visit. That was the initial CPO visit to check the safe was secure.

Not saying this is good advice just my experience. Go explain your situation. Any reasonable Guard will understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Had huge issues with the local super in our area this year, the advice from the NARGC and it was words to the effect that its up to the gunowner to ensure that their licence is in date. The guards don't give a **** how your licence went out of date or what excuses you have for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭keith s

I seem to remember hearing (late last year or early this year) a load of firearms being confiscated for being out of date on licence?
    Maybe I imagined that!

I didn't get the renewal letter and FAO called me to let me know I was out of date, sent me out a new form and I got it in straight away.

I think a good few people had the same happen, but it as said above it's up to us to make sure we are up to date. Once you hand the renewal in, it's out of your hands until you get the slip to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

i am waiting 6 weeks now for a sub i rang the f.o. and was told there will be nothing done in the near future.

Had huge issues with the local super in our area this year, the advice from the NARGC and it was words to the effect that its up to the gunowner to ensure that their licence is in date. The guards don't give a **** how your licence went out of date or what excuses you have for it.
    keith s wrote: »
    I seem to remember hearing (late last year or early this year) a load of firearms being confiscated for being out of date on licence?
    Maybe I imagined that!

I didn't get the renewal letter and FAO called me to let me know I was out of date, sent me out a new form and I got it in straight away.

I think a good few people had the same happen, but it as said above it's up to us to make sure we are up to date. Once you hand the renewal in, it's out of your hands until you get the slip to pay.

I've been very lucky with my FO's then. I was late renewing a firearm license a few years ago and nothing was said of it.

Also, I learnt that as soon as your first prefilled renewal form is received back you are licensed on the AGS system even before the payment is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭keith s

skipking wrote: »
    i am waiting 6 weeks now for a sub i rang the f.o. and was told there will be nothing done in the near future.

It's one of those things that we all know about.
    It depends on the FAO and supt.
    I think the job of FAO is thrown at someone in the station and it doesn't matter if they have any knowledge or interest in firearms.

As far as I can tell, it's something they now have to do on top of their other duties. Maybe they get x number of hours a week to look after that side of things, as such it'll get done when it's done.

I have no inside knowledge, but that's my understanding of how it's done.

I've had a sub back under a week and heard of others waiting over 4 months (this is pre covid).

My second application was returned in two weeks and 3rd application took over 3 months.

There is no across the board "normal" for you to expect, except for the 10 days of acknowledgement of application and 3 months for a decision to be made. Even at that, we've all heard of time frames over these.

I guess it's not a driving licence and there is some merit to local decisions, but then again some lads have a hard time getting a moderator, others in target clubs only allowed 150 rounds of 22lr!

Heckler wrote: »
    Are a local station going to accept a firearm for storage though ?
    Not sure, suppose its down to each station, but they should be able to.
    I had an expired licence once for about 4 weeks. Got the paperwork eventually sorted. What are the chances of an unexpected visit ? In over 10 years of owning firearms I've had one visit. That was the initial CPO visit to check the safe was secure.

Not saying this is good advice just my experience. Go explain your situation. Any reasonable Guard will understand.
    For all people viewing this, and in keeping with the law, the best advice is always to store a firearm and then complete the licensing process.

However if your local station, district station or "other" should give you different advice then by all means follow their lead.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

keith s wrote: »
    Maybe I imagined that! .
    Don't know the quantity but a lot of districts and the main Garda website were making a big push for people to ensure their firearms were correctly licensed and renewed on time.

Was even in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭JP22

Cass wrote: »

Listen to Cass, he is spot on, you are in possession of an unlicensed firearm.

Get it into an RFD soonest, if the Garda get it, its much harder to get back, red tape and hoops to jump through.

Regardless of the regs, different areas, different Supers & FO's means problems will occur, we know they should not, but they do.

Protect your interest & investment, Get it stored with RFD soonest, then make inquiries on/for re issue of license.

Some good advice here from Cass and jp22. In today's climate it isn't worth taking the chance for the sake of a storage fee while your expired license is sorted with the AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭no_4

On the plus side I just recently got a grant letter for a new o/u in 6 weeks start to finish , my first took 5 months

Advertisement