Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It looks that, if only Amazon maintain their growing commitment to the Irish market in spite of Brexit, Anpost are going to be gradually relieved by them from deliveries on the most profitable routes. Huge opportunity lost it I suppose. But hey, whenever I talk to Anpost employees they only seem frustrated having to handle Amazon parcels.

Rural postman seem to love Amazon parcels. Without Amazon our postmans day would end around 10:30 AM. He says that about 75% of his stops are for Amazon parcels.

But it does seem obvious that An Post as a company don't really want the bother of delivering mail.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Yeah, I would say that the vans that I get to see in Dublin are also filled 75% or maybe even more with Amazon boxes. It seems though that they have not ramped up enough to meet the demand and appear confident that even without Amazon there will still be enough deliveries to keep everyone's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

We are doing up the house at the moment and are buying a lot of stuff from Amazon. I mean a lot. The postman is annoyed genarally with the amount of Amazon stuff he has to deal with and I think annoyed with me too. First few times he was jokey about the amount I was ordering but no quips from him lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭rob316

_Brian wrote: »
    Have had three packages now in last week delayed so far as Amazon offered refund.

These were all dispatched by amazon coming through the Merseyside depo but not arriving anywhere after they leave there. My daughter has another two that will be eligible for a refund tomorrow, they also seem to have disappeared after the Merseyside depo.

What’s the story with this. Is this just volume overload or what.

Am unsure what to do now, do I reorder, do I source elsewhere.

What are the chances these will turn up over next few weeks anyway ??

They'll turn up I got refunded for 3 and 2 and arrived today and yesterday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Heighway61 wrote: »
    We are doing up the house at the moment and are buying a lot of stuff from Amazon. I mean a lot. The postman is annoyed genarally with the amount of Amazon stuff he has to deal with and I think annoyed with me too. First few times he was jokey about the amount I was ordering but no quips from him lately.

Not your problem- tell him to take it up with his boss if he doesn't like his job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

It looks that, if only Amazon maintain their growing commitment to the Irish market in spite of Brexit, Anpost are going to be gradually relieved by them from deliveries on the most profitable routes. Huge opportunity lost it I suppose. But hey, whenever I talk to Anpost employees they only seem frustrated having to handle Amazon parcels.

I've heard An Post employees in the sorting office complaining about Amazon parcels. I suppose unlike with couriers, losing their biggest customer will just mean less work rather than job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

VG31 wrote: »
    I've heard An Post employees in the sorting office complaining about Amazon parcels. I suppose unlike with couriers, losing their biggest customer will just mean less work rather than job losses.

I was talking to our postman abkut this last week, I was saying we have few more to come.

He’s delighted with the amazon business. He said they were talking of making larger routes and less postmen but the amazon business has saved them.

He’s a pragmatic individual, we live down a long lane, 400m off the road. I said to him before not to be bothering coming down if it’s just flyers. He said no, he’s glad to have them to deliver and they keep the show on the road.

He gets a bottle of whiskey and €50 at Christmas.

_Brian wrote: »
    I was talking to our postman abkut this last week, I was saying we have few more to come.

He’s delighted with the amazon business. He said they were talking of making larger routes and less postmen but the amazon business has saved them.

He’s a pragmatic individual, we live down a long lane, 400m off the road. I said to him before not to be bothering coming down if it’s just flyers. He said no, he’s glad to have them to deliver and they keep the show on the road.

He gets a bottle of whiskey and €50 at Christmas.

We aren't as generous the postman gets €20 at Christmas but he only has to deliver to the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We aren't as generous the postman gets €20 at Christmas but he only has to deliver to the gate.

Ahh he’s a great lad, good service. He will open the door and leave parcels on the hall table if we’re not about, text or ring me. . He will stand and chat for a while. .

They're working long hours, got a delivery last night and just had another now....7.50pm on a Sunday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Yea, got a package myself last night around 7. Have to say the 2 day prime ship is great especially if its been delivered by Amazon this end. I ordered ear pods Friday night and had them last night.

I know An post are ok delivering amazon stuff but you would never get a Sunday Delivery.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Ordered items on Saturday,notification on Sunday as posted and arrived today ahead of schedule as was expecting it Tuesday WOW.

Ordered a book yesterday about 3pm, was delivered 1pm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

They’ve just sent me another parcel with Asendia :eek: supposed to arrive on the 24th, we’ll see. My previous Asendia parcel was dispatched on the 6th and due today, no sign of it as expected, getting ridiculous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Hi,

I just got an email from An Post saying that customs will be applied (where appropriate) to UK deliveries as of January 1st. Will this affect Amazon deliveries? Is it worth it to change amazon.de instead (or another region)? I have amazon prime which gives me free deliveries from uk, not sure if that applies to other regions. Are other domains cheaper? More expensive? More or less selection? Or is the customs thing nothing to worry about re: amazon uk items

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No one knows until there is an announcement about Brexit. Prime doesn't work on the other stores. Check the other sites for pricing or use Hagglezon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

whiterebel wrote: »
    No one knows until there is an announcement about Brexit. Prime doesn't work on the other stores. Check the other sites for pricing or use Hagglezon.

I have noticed others on this forum saying amazon now have a distribution place in Ireland now is this true.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yes in Rathcoole.

Hi,

I just got an email from An Post saying that customs will be applied (where appropriate) to UK deliveries as of January 1st. Will this affect Amazon deliveries? Is it worth it to change amazon.de instead (or another region)? I have amazon prime which gives me free deliveries from uk, not sure if that applies to other regions. Are other domains cheaper? More expensive? More or less selection? Or is the customs thing nothing to worry about re: amazon uk items

Thanks.

I buy off Amazon.de occasionally, mostly for German food items. They have a much better selection of brands like Lindt. I'm a prime member on Amazon.co.uk but there's no free delivery on Amazon.de (only for German and Austrian customers). Delivery is €7 minimum so it's really not economical for small orders. From an Irish point of view the selection is definitely worse. It's not much use for appliances/electrical items for obvious reasons. I find it more expensive for the most part.

No one really knows exactly what's going to happen at this point. I can't imagine that Amazon will be happy about the Irish revenue collapsing which would almost certainly happen in a no-deal Brexit situation, so presumably they will work something out. I just can't see most Irish customers switching to other European Amazon sites. They've started their own deliveries in Dublin so they're hardly going to write off the Irish market if order volumes plummet. If there does end up being import charges/VAT I'll most likely end up buying far less off Amazon.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    As for the OP's question. I usually find that certain items (mobile phones for example) are cheaper from Amazon.de than the UK......usually free delivery anyway, so no extra shipping costs.

There's no free delivery whatsoever on Amazon.de for non-German/Austrian customers. Except of course if private sellers happen to offer free delivery which is rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Does this change anything? Email I just got. Seems they're banking on no deal, which unfortunately seems likely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Deub

I have noticed others on this forum saying amazon now have a distribution place in Ireland now is this true.

It is for deliveries. It is not a warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

All depends on whether there will be NO DEAL re Brexit.

The UK might seek another endless extension. You’d never know!

But if not, it’s off to Amazon .EU I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

VG31 wrote: »
    There's no free delivery whatsoever on Amazon.de for non-German/Austrian customers. Except of course if private sellers happen to offer free delivery which is rare.

Apologies, I had deleted my post as you were typing. The last time I purchased from .de there was free delivery. I have purchased 3 or 4 phones there but I believe the last one was 2019 :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭SPDUB

d51984 wrote: »
    Yea, got a package myself last night around 7. Have to say the 2 day prime ship is great especially if its been delivered by Amazon this end. I ordered ear pods Friday night and had them last night.

I know An post are ok delivering amazon stuff but you would never get a Sunday Delivery.

Except An Post are doing sunday deliveries at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

I purchased an inflatable snowman from amazon.de last month. Purely on cost saving grounds.

The snowman including postage cost me €48. From the UK site, it would have cost me £75. The postage from the UK was significantly higher than the postage from Germany Now, it did come with a European plug but we have a generic international adaptor which works for it.

Would I use amazon.de again? Yes. But I would do price comparisons first.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Are they? You learn something new everyday!

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Does anybody have an idea what the customs charges will be? Same as if you're buying from the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

SPDUB wrote: »
    Except An Post are doing sunday deliveries at the moment

Not all over the country, our postman only comes around in the van Mon-Fri.

• Advertisement

Not all over the country, our postman only comes around in the van Mon-Fri.

Its up to the individual areas. My postman started doing Saturdays (West Waterford area) two weeks back. But he told me some areas had started earlier.

I can't see him doing a Sunday as well. The idea is to get parcels cleared so thats all they do 9-12 Saturday morning. He thinks its great as he gets good money for the hours and it takes the pressure off Mondays when there is normally a build up of stuff thats arrived over the weekend.

Advertisement