Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Wireless Earphones

• 12-11-2020 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am looking for a set of wireles earbuds for xmas pressie very important they lock into ears in some way like a clip or behind ear etc as the person using them has lost ones before when they fell out

Also of course the usual good battery life sound etc

Budget up to 150Euro

Thx
    XL500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I have Powerbeats which I love, they fit over the ear & a very light cord that sits on neck which I love as they can sit on neck if you need to take them out. I bought for running but use for calls and all listening now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

xl500 wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking for a set of wireles earbuds for xmas pressie very important they lock into ears in some way like a clip or behind ear etc as the person using them has lost ones before when they fell out

Also of course the usual good battery life sound etc

Budget up to 150Euro

Thx
    XL500

I took the plunge with the aftershocks air 119 euro. I was a bit sceptical as they are bone conducting so sit outside your ear. I love them I don’t notice the sound difference and they have become my go to earphones instead of my sony over ear wireless ones. Would highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,935 ✭✭✭✭event

The aftershokz are the best ones for safety really. I got a pair in January and find them brilliant. Can be used cycling and I use them walking the dog or if doing jobs in the house. I've even used them on calls in work.

Go for them, amazing really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

event wrote: »
    The aftershokz are the best ones for safety really. I got a pair in January and find them brilliant. Can be used cycling and I use them walking the dog or if doing jobs in the house. I've even used them on calls in work.

Go for them, amazing really

Can I ask a really silly question, what are they like when running alongside busy roads? On my longer slower runs I tend to listen to podcasts and just wondering if you 'tune' out the traffic noise, I tend to just hear the beat of music but I like to hear the words of a podcast if that makes sense.

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Can I ask a really silly question, what are they like when running alongside busy roads? On my longer slower runs I tend to listen to podcasts and just wondering if you 'tune' out the traffic noise, I tend to just hear the beat of music but I like to hear the words of a podcast if that makes sense.

Yeah course. So it can depend on the podcast if I am honest, that can come down to how well it is recorded. So I live on a fairly busy road and I wear them when walking the dog as well. I listen to podcasts, audiobooks and music and all come across fine. But there are one or two podcasts that dont sound great and when listen to them with regular earphones they dont sound great either, if that makes sense. But that can be because of the mic that they use to record

Mine came with a pair of these so can block out road noise if needed, though that sort of defeats the purpose.

3m1100.jpg

Not sure if that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭The Davestator

event wrote: »
    Yeah course. So it can depend on the podcast if I am honest, that can come down to how well it is recorded. So I live on a fairly busy road and I wear them when walking the dog as well. I listen to podcasts, audiobooks and music and all come across fine. But there are one or two podcasts that dont sound great and when listen to them with regular earphones they dont sound great either, if that makes sense. But that can be because of the mic that they use to record

Mine came with a pair of these so can block out road noise if needed, though that sort of defeats the purpose.

3m1100.jpg

Not sure if that helps :)

Having used Trekz for years, I agree with this.

For example - I recently tried to listen to the Bloodied field podcast using them but had to give up as the sound was too low. (highly recommended pod) But this is a rare occasion and all of my other regular podcasts are fine.

The only exception is when I am cycling in very wet rain in traffic, the sound of the car tyres in the water can be noisy. Again, rare, but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

From a recommendation here I have a previous version of these for the last 18 months and use them everyday. I'd expect I'll be buying another pair if/when they eventually stop working.
    Bluetooth Headphones, TaoTronics Wireless Headphones 20Hrs Playtime IPX7 Waterproof

They are cheap at 20 sterling but better than some more expensive options I've used. I find it very useful that the backs of the earpieces are magnetic (they stick to each other) so when not using you can still wear around your neck for safe keeping. The mic seems to work well as I've taken calls when running on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Why not consider wireless headphones ?
    They'll never fall off,keep your ears warm ..good noise cancellation better battery and cheaper to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

I use these MPOW earphones after seeing them recommended in the Bargains thread on here, very good in my experience over the last few months.

I bought these a few years ago, and think they're the greatest running headphones around
    https://www.66audio.com/pro-voice

They are not in ear, buds. Rather they wrap around the back of your head. I think they have a 40hour battery, and an incredible bluetooth range. Sound quality is incredible too.
    Cannot recommend them enough. My wife has also bought a pair after using mine

I recently bought Bose earbuds as well. I'm back to using the audio 66 pro voice whenever I exercise. I find them incredibly comfortable

• Advertisement

One thing I'll say though, is a lot of races are banning those in-ear ones and the bone conducting ones are the only ones allowed. Something to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The absolute best truly wireless for running are the Powerbeats Pro. Mega battery life, excellent sound quality and super secure. They have BT receivers in both pods so you don't have to worry about where you have your music source. They are, unfortunately, also around 250 euros.

The Aftershokz are a bit of an acquired taste for me. The sound quality is pretty crappy (especially if you are used to anything else), the over ear bit gets a bit uncomfortable and I find it hard to find a good spot for the buds to connect to to get the best connection. Also, if the music you are listening to is in any way bass heavy, expect buzzy vibrations through your bones. On the plus side, they are excellent for being able to hear what's going on around you and they don't suffer from the same wind noise problems that in ear 'phones give.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

richie123 wrote: »
    Why not consider wireless headphones ?
    They'll never fall off,keep your ears warm ..good noise cancellation better battery and cheaper to buy!

The major issue with them is that they are entirely unsuitable for road running as all ambient noise is excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

diego_b wrote: »
    From a recommendation here I have a previous version of these for the last 18 months and use them everyday. I'd expect I'll be buying another pair if/when they eventually stop working.
    Bluetooth Headphones, TaoTronics Wireless Headphones 20Hrs Playtime IPX7 Waterproof

They are cheap at 20 sterling but better than some more expensive options I've used. I find it very useful that the backs of the earpieces are magnetic (they stick to each other) so when not using you can still wear around your neck for safe keeping. The mic seems to work well as I've taken calls when running on them.

Ignore this, it was these ones I meant to link to
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Headphones-SoundBuds-Bluetooth-Waterproof/dp/B07N8RYGC4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1JLRL4GZ8ZCVO&dchild=1&keywords=soundbuds+slim&qid=1605520736&sprefix=soundbuds+s%2Caps%2C281&sr=8-4

The first ones I posted gave up the ghost within a few months, the Anker SoundBuds are the ones that have lasted a few years now. Same price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

Also have aftershokz. If you live in an urban area the expectation of people for you to hope on/off the footpath at times it makes sense to have them instead of the other ones. I use them with my Garmin 945 as they were one of the recommended ones. They lack a next track button for me which is a little annoying but other than that I find them good. Met a guy who was looking for a pod on a dark footpath the other week. At least these are not going to pop out when I am doing a session etc.

Prior to getting them I used philips sports earphones as they were the only ones that would block the wind noise for podcasts but the placement of the aftershokz do that also. No real complaint about them. Battery lasts a few days and has an audio prompt where you can press a button to see how much is left. There is no way to update the firmware on them which I found a bit strange as all things have bugs now days.

rom wrote: »
    Also have aftershokz. If you live in an urban area the expectation of people for you to hope on/off the footpath at times it makes sense to have them instead of the other ones. I use them with my Garmin 945 as they were one of the recommended ones. They lack a next track button for me which is a little annoying but other than that I find them good. Met a guy who was looking for a pod on a dark footpath the other week. At least these are not going to pop out when I am doing a session etc.

Prior to getting them I used philips sports earphones as they were the only ones that would block the wind noise for podcasts but the placement of the aftershokz do that also. No real complaint about them. Battery lasts a few days and has an audio prompt where you can press a button to see how much is left. There is no way to update the firmware on them which I found a bit strange as all things have bugs now days.

On my ones if I press the button on the left twice quickly it skips to next song

Advertisement