Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beakerjoe vs The Walrus - THE REVEAL!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I don't know what was going on when I was making choices for this Walrus.

I just randomly picked a song I like for this round, didn't even attempt to go for a best song ever. Hello, last place, here I come.

I'd change my mind about my favourite song every five minutes if asked. I disagree with myself that I've entered the best song ever, but equally if BJ disagrees I know that's he's wrong and I'm right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I just randomly picked a song I like for this round, didn't even attempt to go for a best song ever. Hello, last place, here I come.
    Same here, haha bottle time coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I'd change my mind about my favourite song every five minutes if asked. I disagree with myself that I've entered the best song ever, but equally if BJ disagrees I know that's he's wrong and I'm right :pac:

I couldn't pick a best song ever, though Im thankful Necro didn't select One Direction for this round (though I do like the track a bit)

Kicking us off in the final round is this track, scooping up 10 points .......in 10th place

David Bowie - Station to Station submitted by
    Osh.

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes
    Have I listened to this song before? No

Again, I'm not a huge Bowie fan so lets see what we have here. I like the intro, like a cosmic train entering Heuston Station. The instrumental tease at the start is a nice opening, when it kicks in it's a very enjoyable sound. Lots going on at a slow pace, lazy afternoon. relaxing feels if you will. The first 3 minutes fly by, you don't even notice them. As the big fella begins to sing, it is easy to see why you like this. The tempo is raised as we progress and its now funky and much more dancy. Very enjoyable guitar solo and its really hard not to like it. A wonderful, easy-to-listen-to track.

In 9th spot and collecting 11 points is...

Tom Baxter - Better - , submitted by
    JohnGreenFan

Have I listened to this song before? Yes

When working in one of my previous jobs, we had Today FM on all the time and this song was played waaaaaay too much.

Its been awhile since I heard it, so I can say that it's a fine track once it's not played to death. Lovely sweet lyrics, Tom’s got a decent voice and it's an easy listen. A good selection despite it being overplayed (well by Today FM back in the day). I like this much more now than I did back in the day. Good choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,335 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry y'all I have this in the bag, I'm getting the winning spoon :p

12th spot and 8 points, in pops.....

Bob Seger - Turn the Page - submitted by
    Sawduck

Have I listened to this artist before? No

I've heard the Metallica cover, but never the original. I prefer the metal cover If I'm honest. That said, it's a nice story being told here, very nice vocals but the song is too long without any real oooomh. But it is still a very enjoyable track and one I quite like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Kicking us off in the final round is this track, scooping up 10 points .......in 10th place

David Bowie - Station to Station submitted by
    Osh.

Again, I'm not a huge Bowie fan so lets see what we have here. I like the intro, like a cosmic train entering Heuston Station. The instrumental tease at the start is a nice opening, when it kicks in it's a very enjoyable sound. Lots going on at a slow pace, lazy afternoon. relaxing feels if you will. The first 3 minutes fly by, you don't even notice them. As the big fella begins to sing, it is easy to see why you like this. The tempo is raised as we progress and its now funky and much more dancy. Very enjoyable guitar solo and its really hard not to like it. A wonderful, easy-to-listen-to track.

Love that tune! That weird robotic groove they get into before the vocals kick in - man I could listen to that on a loop. And that guitar solo that starts at 8:12 - the way he makes that guitar squeal!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Did you skip 11th place?

In 13th spot with 7 points, is.....

B52s - Rock Lobster, submitted by
    Irish Aris

A song so bad its good. I have a soft place for this track, its enjoyable but I will never say its the best track ever.

But it's a fun track though, and it does grow on you a bit when you don’t listen to it. Long term, I really wouldn't want to listen to it too much. Repeated listens only serve to allow the song to reach its sell-by-date. Sorry IA, I haven’t been on your wavelength at all this game. Fond memories help raise this song above others.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sorry y'all I have this in the bag, I'm getting the winning spoon :p

Fairly sure Irish Aris has that sown up

You could call it the Greecey Spoon.........

Did you skip 11th place?

giphy.gif

No I havent forgot, the places missing will be revealed last..... Fixxer Upper, Shane University, Ford Mustang Michelle and Cool yet Obese Kevin will fill those slots

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ominous

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

No I havent forgot, the places missing will be revealed last..... Fixxer Upper, Shane University, Ford Mustang Michelle and Cool yet Obese Kevin will fill those slots

How did you know that Ford was my real first name? :eek: :pac:

7th spot and 13 points, are in the possession of.....

Incubus - Warning, submitted by
    Rikand

Totally forgot about this band. Straight into it here with the vocals. The intro is wonderfully sung and the guitar backing it is blended well. I love the lyrics and as we hit the minute mark it gets perhaps stereotypically 2001 but everything works in harmony, making it very pleasurable to mine ears. A song I appreciated more on repeated listens and it really grew on me. A fine selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Incubus is a nice through back for me, their Morning View album got absolutely played to death in my house

tenor.gif?itemid=10929900

14th spot and 6 points goes to.....

Sigur Ros - Festival by
    Electric Nitwit

A pleasant intro, very soft and soothing. The first half of the track is very enjoyable, with the vocals being very enchanting and powerful, like a calm before a big battle in a movie like Gladiator or a big sporting event with a lot on the line.

Things switch at the halfway point, as a build begins slowly to a pleasant finale, using a nice baseline and some speedy drumming. Its nothing wowing me but its still a beautiful piece and overall it is very enjoyable.

6th place and 14 points goes to.......

Big Black - Kerosene - submitted by
    Arghus

So this song is about a lad in a small town in Roscommon who is so bored during the pandemic that he turns into a pyromaniac....... Am I right ?

This song grabs you instantly with its cool, yet kinda warped intro. Its got a nice baseline and a pulsing drum beat that reels you in, getting you ready in anticipation for whats coming. Its gotta nice industrial feel to it as the vocals kick in and this track instantly oozes aggression and animosity…. In an enjoyable way.

The lyrics are unsettling but they mesh well with the sound to portray a bleak yet fcuking entertaining sound. Overall a very enjoyable experience.

In 15th place with 5 points is....

King Creosote - Lars (long), submitted by
    S!ippy

No waiting for an intro here, straight into the song. Its an odd song, but it's quite satisfying in a way I cant really put my finger on. Its not that LONG at 3.53, and it's no choir to listen to, especially when it hits the instrumental solo…. Visions of Scooby Doo and the Gang going room to room in a corridor, chased by a masked villain. ….. Im liking it.

It's not catchy or sing along-able, but its toe tappingly enjoyable. It slows down abruptly at the end and finishes on a whimper, but overall its a fun track.

• Advertisement

5th place and 15 points goes to

Chris Isaak - Wicked Game submitted by
    the purple tin

Man what a tune and one that is one of my favourite songs ever. Its a great piece from start to finish, the eerie vocals, the amazing lyrics and its just so smooth. LOVE IT.

The melody is just wonderful, it sucks you in from the off and the vocals bring you on a wonderful journey. Great choice.

14th spot and 6 points goes to.....

Sigur Ros - Festival by
    Electric Nitwit

...its still a beautiful piece and overall it is very enjoyable.
    It's the piece we walked out of our wedding ceremony to :)
    So you're wrong :pac:

If you haven't listened to Sigur Ros you must remedy that! I recommend... all of it!

It's the piece we walked out of our wedding ceremony to :)
    So you're wrong :pac:

If you haven't listened to Sigur Ros you must remedy that! I recommend... all of it!

And I quote, "...its still a beautiful piece and overall it is very enjoyable."....Am I wrong :pac:

And I quote, "...its still a beautiful piece and overall it is very enjoyable."....Am I wrong :pac:
    Ha ha, OK you're right but not right enough ;)

In at 4th spot, earning 16 points is....

The Crash Test Dummies - Superman’s song, submitted by
    Reberetta.

While I did hear of the band I have never checked them out and the band name always reminded me of the toyline of the 1990s. A wonderful song that is really hard not to appreciate. The lyrics are whimsical and clever, telling a story of the sacrifice Kal El made to be a hero in such an off-the-wall kinda way. Very easy to listen to and it's a very beautifully sung track. Simple in ways, but very effective.

Repeated listens only served only to help my fondness grow. A great choice.

So we have the following guys left to place who can win the overall competition.....

Shelly
    Fixxxer
    ShaneU
    Phat Kev

but we also have

JP Liz
    Necro
    Gru
    Kolido
    and Also Starring yer man buttons

We shall place those who can not win first and then the 4 that can possibly become the champion of Beakerus

Never heard Superman's song before, very good

In at 17th spot and collecting 3 points is.....

Bon Jovi - Living on a Prayer, submitted by
    Gru

Have I listened to this song before? No, I live under a rock in a cave on a far away island at the edge of humanity....I mean yes.

A classic, but totally overplayed. But its hard not to love the lyrics, which are so fun to sing along to, esp after the kicking intro. But I need a break from this song and because it is overplayed, that break never comes.

Id probably rate it higher if it was 230am and liquor-ed up, but its 7pm and Im sober. Sorry Gru.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Never heard Superman's song before, very good

I was expecting a more parody-like track. Pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Id probably rate it higher if it was 230am and liquor-ed up, but its 7pm and Im sober.

Its half past 8 mate.

Advertisement