Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart Watch and Golf GPS

• 11-11-2020 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

The screen on my faithful tomtom watch is starting to go and I'm lost without one. I'd also like a smart watch so figured now is a good time to buy a smart watch and use it for golf too. Anyone use a smart watch for golf or recommendations, android only, not interested in apple watch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Garmin Fenix 5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

redzerdrog wrote: »

Thanks and I probably shouldn't have started a new thread for this, but that thread is all about sport smart watches like Garmin etc where as I was interested in anyone using an normal non sports android smart watch like a HUAWEI, Samsung or Xiaomi watch for golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leojhon

The Best Golf Rangefinder Watches can be a real game-changer. It is acting like Google maps for every course you visit.
    Upgrading your golfing game is not just about spending time practicing your short game but it is about trying new things too. Golf watches and activity-tracking devices are now an affordable option for golfers.

There are lots of different devices on the market, that can help professionals correct the minor faults in their game. Essentially, the best golf watch could make the difference between a perfect shot and one that costs you another swing. Of course, the golf watch also helps take a load off your mind so you can stay relaxed and focused.

It does this by counting your score for you in many cases, so there is no need to keep a scorecard. If you have already picked out the perfect set of golf clubs, you deserve the best golf watch to go with it.
    I am going to list the best golf rangefinder watch for you in this guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've the Garmin Vivoactive 3 and find it really good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Snotty wrote: »
    Thanks and I probably shouldn't have started a new thread for this, but that thread is all about sport smart watches like Garmin etc where as I was interested in anyone using an normal non sports android smart watch like a HUAWEI, Samsung or Xiaomi watch for golf

Seeing as everyone is ignoring you OP :D Hole19 I think is the recommended app for use with Android/Apple SmartWatch. I've never used it but am getting myself an Apple watch for Christmas and intend on using it then. I think there paid apps as well that offer the same functionality. Golfshot is one I think but there are more.

As for watches, Android Wear isn't great so you need to be aware of that and Google are slow to introduce new features. Have a look here;

Forgot to include a link; https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-smartwatch-android/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Seeing as everyone is ignoring you OP :D Hole19 I think is the recommended app for use with Android/Apple SmartWatch. I've never used it but am getting myself an Apple watch for Christmas and intend on using it then. I think there paid apps as well that offer the same functionality. Golfshot is one I think but there are more.

As for watches, Android Wear isn't great so you need to be aware of that and Google are slow to introduce new features. Have a look here;

Forgot to include a link; https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-smartwatch-android/

Im getting the fossil gen 5 for christmas. Already have a shotscope v3 which i find excellent. It will be interesting to compare both. I suspect the GPS is much better on the shotscope.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I use Hole19 with Apple Watch and it’s pretty reliable and mostly accurate, main issue is if you work off phone gps but leave bag a fair bit from the ball, not an issue when carrying but can be if using a trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Im getting the fossil gen 5 for christmas. Already have a shotscope v3 which i find excellent. It will be interesting to compare both. I suspect the GPS is much better on the shotscope.

I have a gen 3 fossil. It was fine but battery just not good enough for me, usually almost dead by 7pm most nights and that was with very little use. I bought it during a brief phase where I had an Android phone and when I switched back to apple it just wasn't that useful anymore so its gathering dust now. I still wear it occasionally but more so as a normal watch, battery lasts a bit longer when its not connected to my phone. Will be interested to hear your thoughts, I heard the gen 4 was a big improvement so think the gen 5 should be very good. Still think Android wear will lag behind WatchOS until Google decide to release their own watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Garmin s62 seems to be the best if willing to pay. Has great battery life, top notch GPS, round tracking, ranges to anypoint on the hole, green readings, automatic shot detection (better if paired with CT10 sensors), wind conditions, virtual caddie and more.
    Plus it has the regular smartwatch and fitness features of the garmin range (especially the hr sensor that is missing on the s60)

Cons... Its 400-500e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

I have a gen 3 fossil. It was fine but battery just not good enough for me, usually almost dead by 7pm most nights and that was with very little use. I bought it during a brief phase where I had an Android phone and when I switched back to apple it just wasn't that useful anymore so its gathering dust now. I still wear it occasionally but more so as a normal watch, battery lasts a bit longer when its not connected to my phone. Will be interested to hear your thoughts, I heard the gen 4 was a big improvement so think the gen 5 should be very good. Still think Android wear will lag behind WatchOS until Google decide to release their own watch.

Still d'ont think the battery preformace on the gen 5 is anything to write home about but suppose to be some improvement on previous models. Its my first venture with a smart watch and wanted to stick with WearOs for strange reason. Google has my soul :D

Its so frustrating that Google have not seriously moved on WearOS. The market is only growing and more and more people are going with Tizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Snotty wrote: »
    The screen on my faithful tomtom watch is starting to go and I'm lost without one. I'd also like a smart watch so figured now is a good time to buy a smart watch and use it for golf too. Anyone use a smart watch for golf or recommendations, android only, not interested in apple watch.

Samsung watches work well with Smart Caddie free version , gives front middle and back of green distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭macslash

Any fitbit watches worth getting for golfing purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I have a Garmin approach x40 https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/p/519298
    I guess the "x" means that it is a cross-over as it has fitness tracking as well as golf.

I does shot-tracking, scorecard, allows you to record club used, etc but also ties into the full Garmin software apps for tacking activities

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Garmin Approach S62 is head and shoulders above anything else in this category imo.

As a smartwatch and fitness tracker for everyday use it does everything a top smartwatch does and as a bonus it looks great and battery lasts about 2 weeks

As a golf device it has everything you need and more. If purely as a golf measuring device I'd still recommend the S62 as it has many of and if not more features. The fact that it doubles as an everyone smartwatch just adds so much

It is relatively expensive but worth every penny imo

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I had a fossil gen 3 as well and used hole 19 app, and like an earlier poster said the battery was brutal when using for a rd unless fully charged b4 game. I didn't find the graphics great either. Bought a Garmin 2nd hand on DD and it's brill. Never have worried about forgetting to charge it b4 game. I use the fossil as a smart watch just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rossyd2005

Can anyone point me in the right the direction please.
    Has anyone here used any of the fitbits for golf gps. I know they are limited in what they can do but all i want is basics like distances to front,middle,back.

I tried a garmin but hated it as an activity tracker although the golf part was ok. So has anyone used fitbit for golf and if so do they work ok? I think the ionic and versa both have golf compatibility

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

have a fossil sport and similar to what others have said, battery is pretty terrible. used hole19 with it and it was okay but have heard very good things about golfpad so im going to try that out as soon as i can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I have Fenix 5 as said....great watch but expensive

Works exactly are a garmin golf watch with full smart watch capabilities!

have a fossil sport and similar to what others have said, battery is pretty terrible. used hole19 with it and it was okay but have heard very good things about golfpad so im going to try that out as soon as i can

Is golfpad for the phone?

• Advertisement

macslash wrote: »
    Is golfpad for the phone?

watch and phone, couldnt find it wear searching on the watch originally because i think its called something like 'golf gps pad' but when i installed it on the phone it came up on the watch under apps on phone. haven't tried it yet myself but have heard its the best free one (apart from the taylormade app but that doesnt work outside US)

watch and phone, couldnt find it wear searching on the watch originally because i think its called something like 'golf gps pad' but when i installed it on the phone it came up on the watch under apps on phone. haven't tried it yet myself but have heard its the best free one (apart from the taylormade app but that doesnt work outside US)

Lovely thanks a million. What watch are you using out of interest?

macslash wrote: »
    Lovely thanks a million. What watch are you using out of interest?

fossil sport, not very good tbh but i didn't pay a huge amount for it.shocking enough battery life though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

rossyd2005 wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the right the direction please.
    Has anyone here used any of the fitbits for golf gps. I know they are limited in what they can do but all i want is basics like distances to front,middle,back.

I tried a garmin but hated it as an activity tracker although the golf part was ok. So has anyone used fitbit for golf and if so do they work ok? I think the ionic and versa both have golf compatibility

What did you not like about the Garmin Activity tracker?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rossyd2005

Synode wrote: »
    What did you not like about the Garmin Activity tracker?

I had a fitbit before and prefered it, handier to use and i prefered the app too. I think the garmin probably has more to it than the fitbit but just found it annoying to use(maybe im just too used to the fitbit).
    When used as an activity tracker i get about 4 days but if i use it for golf it would do the round and a few hours after. Thats useless in my book. Also it tracks sleep wrong. Ideally i want a fitbit that will give me front,middle,back distances on the course but i cant find any info on one that definitely has this.

Anyone have the Fitbit Ionic? And is it any good for golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 johonnyboy

Bought a Galaxy Watch 2 last year specifically for the smart caddie golf gps app which is preloaded. All was grand until a few weeks ago its gone from the watch. Any ideas why it won't work.

Searching support for the watch or app not giving much help.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Shotscope watch. Excellent battery life, front, middle ,back ,hazards, lay up, comes with tabs for tracking club/distance etc. I paid €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

Agree re shotscope, dedicated golf watch and together with mobile app and tags does everything you need to track your game

• Advertisement
Advertisement