Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric back to plug in hybrid

Options
  • 08-11-2020 6:19am

Interesting video where well known motoring journalist swaps an ipace which he has used for 11 months for an x5 45e

I can definitely relate to some of Harry’s points / concerns. As an i3 bev owner (120ah) we were looking to upgrade the main car (petrol) and did give a lot of consideration to a 2nd bev but like Harry I kept being drawn back to the times i was due to go on a cross country trip and I should have used the i3 as it ticked 90% of the boxes but instead went for the petrol. Really glad we opted for importing a 6mth old 530e, no regrets

https://youtu.be/k15n6QAe8cE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

In fairness, Harry wouldn't be your typical PHEV/BEV owner. He likely isn't paying for either that iPace or X5. BMW ubiquitously provide cars to influencers/journalists for free, or near enough, for 12 months.

The X5's consumption on ICE would make most PHEV owners cry :pac:.

We have a BEV, a PHEV, a diesel & a petrol - each serves a purpose. We would not countenance moving 100% to BEVs. That might suit some, but everyone has different requirements.

Good choice on the 530e BTW - one of the best quality/value propositions in the market today. I just wish ours has the 3l B58 engine :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    but like Harry I kept being drawn back to the times i was due to go on a cross country trip and I should have used the i3 as it ticked 90% of the boxes but instead went for the petrol.

The UK is a bit bigger than Ireland :p

Over here there are several EVs now available that can go from A to B where ever they are without having to charge once.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The 530e is a nice car but the newer 545e would be a better answer for most people regarding petrol performance and EV range.

Another good review from Harry, this time a Porsche taycan. I didn’t realise the range was so far off a model s

https://youtu.be/7C-dSOf0jp4

And another good review from Harry. This time he has an id3 for 7days. Not great that the screen malfunctioned.

https://youtu.be/4dOEsSVEawc

I like the way he approaches his reviews, uses the cars on his day to day tasks over a week so has a good feel for the car over this time frame, his bar seems to be avoiding public charging which is similar to mine (other than long trips) and I guess most people’s due to poor experiences and not wanting the hassle of waiting around.

At this stage he has tested most of the mainstream electric cars so I value his impartial and honest reviews, one of the better more open minded journalists out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I do like Harry's channel, he's reasonably bias free but he's not too clued up on the EV stuff. Frequently mixes up units and the like.
    That being said, his review of the X5 45e was great, and shows the positives of having a long range (24kWh battery) phev can be almost as good as a full EV in terms of running on electricity, but without all the drawbacks of having to charge.

Advertisement