Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Masters 2020

• 09-11-2020 4:40pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Don't think we have a thread on it? If we do i'll merge them

Just seen Sergio has tested positive for Covid and is out. :(

Looking forward to it this year again.

Also - all gambling talk to be here please, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

It’s Masters week :)

And let’s start with the breaking news: Sergio is out due to a positive Covid test. Was waiting for some big name to fail it going into this week.

Really looking forward to this. So many storylines and plenty of players really playing well this year.

Bryson
    Defending champ is Tiger
    Augusta in November
    No crowd roars and intimidating factor on Sunday.
    Rory for the slam??
    Can the main form man in DJ finally get that 2nd major.
    Brooks, JT, Rahm, Xander, Hatton all knocking on majors door again.
    How will Lowry fare??

All will be revealed

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Garcia out after a positive covid test

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wildrover444

Early finish on Sunday round 8 or 9 so not to clash with nfl matches. Pity liked watching in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Poker Face

Early finish on Sunday round 8 or 9 so not to clash with nfl matches. Pity liked watching in the evening

yeah totally agree.... golf is due to be done for 7 to 7.30pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Always a highlight of the sporting year. Pity the course wont be looking as resplendant as it does in April and no spectators but still looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fairwayslost

Pity about the time changes.. always enjoyed the Sunday evening/night finish. Still it will be nice to be paid to watch it on Thursday / Friday. .. while busily working from home. Hahaha
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Pity about the time changes.. always enjoyed the Sunday evening/night finish. Still it will be nice to be paid to watch it on Thursday / Friday. .. while busily working from home. Hahaha
    ;)

This time is far better, no going to bed at all hours before work next Monday

Mushy wrote: »

Yeah but Sunday will probably clash with some celebrity / strictly/ bake off /x factor crass numpty crap that my wife will want to watch... can't even dissappear to the local to watch.. need to come up with a plan to disable the remote so its stuck on sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah but Sunday will probably clash with some celebrity / strictly/ bake off /x factor crass numpty crap that my wife will want to watch... can't even dissappear to the local to watch.. need to come up with a plan to disable the remote so its stuck on sports.

Time to ramp up the brownie points between now and then. I'd say the early finish will help minimise a clash too

• Advertisement

Time to ramp up the brownie points between now and then. I'd say the early finish will help minimise a clash too

Probably the correct and diplomatic route. In fairness she understands my frustration at not getting out to play. Hopefully when level 5 lifts we can get back playing.
    I will never again take for granted how good we had it pre covid... I am going to laugh at every lost ball, every slice, every hook, every duffed chip, and every short putt.. and appreciate that slicing/hooking/duffing is better than lockdown

I seen Bryson on the practice ground earlier hitting his drives full pelt. I don't know how that man hasn't done himself an injury.

Masters is a once a year event, bake off and all that crap is on nearly every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Will there be more coverage this year or will Augusta keep with tradition and only allow TV to start off late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I seen Bryson on the practice ground earlier hitting his drives full pelt. I don't know how that man hasn't done himself an injury.

Probably shouldnt ask that question....wormhole

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will there be more coverage this year or will Augusta keep with tradition and only allow TV to start off late?

Unlikely, they love restricting the coverage to make it more mysterious or whatever.

Its the only thing that let's the competition down.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Not if you have young kids. Bedtime in my house is 7.30/8.00.
    I feel a very very very long family walk coming on early sunday afternoon.

Rooting for anyone but DeChambeau this week. A soft course will play right into his hands. Nick Faldo (he still hasn't found a personality) vocally endorsing the "science". Next individual who references that word in the wrong context deserves a 7 iron to the back of the head. A juiced up beefcake bludgeoning Augusta into submission isn't going to satisfy the golfing purist. Seve would be spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I wouldn't mind him winning. He is so good at every part of the game at the moment not just his long drives. If he putts as well as he did at the US Open he will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Rooting for anyone but DeChambeau this week. A soft course will play right into his hands. Nick Faldo (he still hasn't found a personality) vocally endorsing the "science". Next individual who references that word in the wrong context deserves a 7 iron to the back of the head. A juiced up beefcake bludgeoning Augusta into submission isn't going to satisfy the golfing purist. Seve would be spinning.

It's up to the others to up their game and beat him. Winning is winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

juiced up beefcake

May the best man win, unless it's a juiced up beefcake bludgeoning Augusta into submission :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

You cannot bludgeon Augusta into submission. The main defence of the course is, and has always been, the speed and slopes on the greens. There is virtually no rough such as you would find at the US Open.
    What seems to be annoying the ‘purists’ is that he is not only hitting it long off the tee, he is hitting it relatively straight. He also has a brilliant short game which I believe is what will make him the man to beat on Sunday. His all round game is just better than anyone else at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

His short game is what won him the US open last time out. He was so good around the greens that there were guys who were hitting it outside of him, but his recovery game was top drawer. I think he averaged around 10th for distance off the tee(there was definitely at least 5 guys hitting it longer than him), but he was so so good around the greens that he couldnt be touched

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

I don't know about TV but the Masters app and website is supposed to be showing every shot live. There is a short video here on the details:
    https://www.masters.com/en_US/mygroup/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

paulos53 wrote: »
    I don't know about TV but the Masters app and website is supposed to be showing every shot live. There is a short video here on the details:
    https://www.masters.com/en_US/mygroup/index.html

The app in 2019 was excellent. You could watch every shot and they had a shot tracker as well.

Just saw a little bit of Lowrys press conference today. If anybody else has seen it; does anyone know who the man to introduce him was. Green jacket on so is an Augusta member but he had quite the Irish accent on him also I thought.

Bryson has said that Augusta is playing more like a par 67 to him in his press conference!!! I genuinely hope he misses the cut somehow know or completely bottles it on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The app in 2019 was excellent. You could watch every shot and they had a shot tracker as well.

Just saw a little bit of Lowrys press conference today. If anybody else has seen it; does anyone know who the man to introduce him was. Green jacket on so is an Augusta member but he had quite the Irish accent on him also I thought.

Bryson has said that Augusta is playing more like a par 67 to him in his press conference!!! I genuinely hope he misses the cut somehow know or completely bottles it on Sunday.

I was wondering that myself, here's the interview for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

John Carr, son of Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭Trampas

Lowry out with Eldrick in his first 2 rounds

Rory with DJ and Cantley

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Trampas wrote: »

Rory with DJ and Cantley

Sugrue with Olazabel and Putnam.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Trampas wrote: »

Rory with DJ and Cantley

Not good for Rory. DJ has become very slow on the greens and Cantlay is just brutal.

Advertisement