Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Power Cash Card PPlus

• 02-11-2020 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Just got my new PP Cash Card PPlus in the post. When I go to activate it through my online account it asks for my employment status. When I hit "Employed" it then asks to input the name of my employer. Just wondering why do they need this info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Med101007 wrote: »
    Just got my new PP Cash Card PPlus in the post. When I go to activate it through my online account it asks for my employment status. When I hit "Employed" it then asks to input the name of my employer. Just wondering why do they need this info?

KYC and to verify if you could afford to bet/lose the amounts you are doing employed by xyz.
    Surprised they didn't ask you for your salary details as well?
    I got asked on a betting exchange for employment status and salary and I know of others who have been asked the same details from bookmakers.
    They are coming under more pressure from the authorities to show they are are trying to stop people betting more then they can afford and to prevent money laundering which is rampant at the moment but more through shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Med101007

okidoki987 wrote: »
    KYC and to verify if you could afford to bet/lose the amounts you are doing employed by xyz.
    Surprised they didn't ask you for your salary details as well?
    I got asked on a betting exchange for employment status and salary and I know of others who have been asked the same details from bookmakers.
    They are coming under more pressure from the authorities to show they are are trying to stop people betting more then they can afford and to prevent money laundering which is rampant at the moment but more through shops.

Thanks for the info. I am employed at the moment but I don't really want to put my employers name down. I'm always paranoid about giving too much info away, in case they go and ring my employer about my potential gambling problem! Can I just make up a company name and include that? Will they go and check does the company exist?

Thanks for the info. I am employed at the moment but I don't really want to put my employers name down. I'm always paranoid about giving too much info away, in case they go and ring my employer about my potential gambling problem! Can I just make up a company name and include that? Will they go and check does the company exist?

I don't think they would ring the employer.
    Easy way to lose a customer if they know/find out their employer was contacted by Paddy Power.
    I don't think making up a company name would work as they would check it for sure.
    I'd say they would check the company exists but not contact them.
    The only way that would happen was if you are gambling way too much for the salary you are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Med101007

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I don't think they would ring the employer.
    Easy way to lose a customer if they know/find out their employer was contacted by Paddy Power.
    I don't think making up a company name would work as they would check it for sure.
    I'd say they would check the company exists but not contact them.
    The only way that would happen was if you are gambling way too much for the salary you are on.

The company I work for only has 25 employees and has a pretty unique name. That is why I don't want to acknowledge who they are on a betting website in case PP takes an urge to ring them to verify my identity, in which case I would definitely be getting the P45.

What if I just made up lies and said I worked for Apple or Google or Microsoft instead? PP would hardly go ringing them surely.

The company I work for only has 25 employees and has a pretty unique name. That is why I don't want to acknowledge who they are on a betting website in case PP takes an urge to ring them to verify my identity, in which case I would definitely be getting the P45.

What if I just made up lies and said I worked for Apple or Google or Microsoft instead? PP would hardly go ringing them surely.

Yeah I can understand that but what happens if you had said one of those companies and they asked you for a pay slip to verify your salary?
    Not saying they would but they could.

They deffo wouldn't ring to verify your identity.
    You would do that by supplying a passport/driving licence and utility bill to confirm address when asked.
    IMO I would say there is little chance of them calling your current employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

unless you're using your company's funds to bet with, getting sacked for having a paddy power account seems a bit crazy. don't think i know anybody without a betting account these days

ianburke wrote: »
    unless you're using your company's funds to bet with, getting sacked for having a paddy power account seems a bit crazy. don't think i know anybody without a betting account these days

There are companies that don't like their staff gambling even though you
    could be doing all of the betting in your own time.
    Some don't like the idea of the possible pressures of gambling which may effect the employee's output or their honesty in the future.
    Some don't like their staff gambling on firms time, watching events they have a bet on, encouraging others to bet or if the employee loses money.
    May also depend on what sort of business the OP's employer is involved in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Sounds dodgy and not a good development.Surely you can't refuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Can i ask if the Cash Card arrived in a blank non-identifying envelope?

Can't say that i'd be a fan of providing detail around my employer either.

Advertisement