Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing the display from Japanese to English in a Honda Insight?

• 04-07-2016 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any suggestions?

Or experience.

There's one video on YouTube but it's for a higher spec car so the numbers don't add up.

I could bring it to a Honda garage, but I didn't buy it there...

I could also try find some lad who speaks Japanese!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

私は、わかりません申し訳ありません

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could try finding a Japanese speaking person in Nihongo forum
    Don't forget to add your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

it says that forum is closed....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ah yes it was changed recently
    Try http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=469

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you sure you can actually change it?

In think there are translation apps you can get for your phone that recognise text. Not sure if there's a Japanese one.

• Advertisement

honda online told me ya cant change it but theres a video of a lad doing it on youtube but hes a higher spec model so the menu options dont match up.

Plus, some of the options changed to English for me already, but in my messing I changed most of them back to Japanese!!

The satnav and radio wouldn't work properly over here either way. Does it do more stuff like trip computer or climate control?

its a new radio. radio is fine.

its the dash display, the info i see when driving etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Anyone have any suggestions?

Or experience.

There's one video on YouTube but it's for a higher spec car so the numbers don't add up.

I could bring it to a Honda garage, but I didn't buy it there...

I could also try find some lad who speaks Japanese!!
    impossible to follow the jap chap on YouTube ,also think it's expensive to get it done,i don't even notice the jap writing now

I got the Google translate app on the phone. It's excellent. Take a photo, it translates the text.

Doesn't seem like it's possible to change language though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

I got the Google translate app on the phone. It's excellent. Take a photo, it translates the text.

Doesn't seem like it's possible to change language though....

Hi Chancer, I'm considering buying a 2015 Honda Fit hybrid and was wondering how you got on with the dash issue?

Seems like the majority of hondas sold here are set ip in English so you should have no problem.

My one was actually driven in Japan first.

The better models have English built in that you can find a YouTube video to change language if its japanese

Mine is still in japanese but it has pictures displayed too so it's simple to figure out what it says

Honda Fit is a Japanese market model so would have the same issue.

worst case scenario theres an app called something like ocr that works thru your phone camera and translates text instantly.
    its amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Seems like the majority of hondas sold here are set ip in English so you should have no problem.

My one was actually driven in Japan first.

The better models have English built in that you can find a YouTube video to change language if its japanese

Mine is still in japanese but it has pictures displayed too so it's simple to figure out what it says
    ( 2 nd insight owner here) insight central is a v informative Honda Insight forum, most problems answered there, including pictures and some videos or links to, also plenty of answers on you tube
    Ref aftermarket stereo etc it’s worth investing as the FM on jap imports won’t extend to our frequency here

Can you explain the problem with the radio?

Mine has never worked here...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Japanese FM radios operate from 76MHz to 95MHz.
    European band is 88Mhz to 108MHz.

Although there is some overlap, you'd be missing a lot of stations over 95MHz.

Ok thanks. Qnd i assume there's no fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

worst case scenario theres an app called something like ocr that works thru your phone camera and translates text instantly.
    its amazing

Google Translate

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Ok thanks. Qnd i assume there's no fix

Re the the frequency limit, there is a digereedoo you can buy and insert between aerial and stereo which overcomes this, we had to do it on import Mazda. Google jap radio frequency extender.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Radio band expander won’t change the way the display works though. You’ll be listening to TodayFM or whatever but the radio will still be showing 82.6 for example.

the only time thatll be an issue is when im selling it.

Altho its a 2010....so ealistically itll be worth pennies anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 37 alexmaxoks

decided to resurrect the topic as we bought a car in Japan, expecting the car in early 2022. Did anyone find solution? I found one, but it is pricey

Advertisement