Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What age are you now?

Options
  • 03-11-2020 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭

Something I always wondered was what is the age demographic for boards.ie members. I used to think most were my age ( 31 now ) so my first society outing was a bit of an eye opener.

Nothing serious to it, just curious. I'll hide the poll this time but people can always post their age if they want. If you do I'd like to know your final congu HC and when you started playing. Again, nothing serious just curious.

31 and shockingly 7 years playing, albeit with a year out in between.

What age are Boards.ie Golfers 205 votes

0-15
    61% 127 votes
    16-20
    0% 0 votes
    21-25
    0% 0 votes
    26-30
    0% 1 vote
    31-35
    0% 1 vote
    36-40
    5% 12 votes
    41-45
    14% 29 votes
    46-50
    7% 16 votes
    51-55
    5% 12 votes
    56-60
    2% 6 votes
    61+
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Old enough to know you made a balls of them age brackets :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Old enough to know you made a balls of them age brackets :-)
    Had to redo it after making a balls of the first one and rushed it a bit but im sure we get it, just imagine its 21-30, 31-35 etc :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Imagine no more:)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

35 and playing since I was 11/12. Annoyed I didn’t take it more serious at a younger age. Had plenty of distance, and the short game was there to get very good if I stuck at it i think. Off 9.1(WHS) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

35 now and picked up a club for the first time when I was 18, i scored 11 points off a hcap of 36 in my first ever game.

Play society golf only for about 12 years and finally joined club 5 years ago but still never played regularly. Retired from football now so hopefully play more although child number 4 on the way might scupper that!

I have had 3 lessons in my lifetime and all years apart but I am now committed to improving my golf and gona start lessons ect. Off 14.1 whs and the aim is single figures by end of next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Im 36
    Started playing at 28 casually. In my second year after joining a club and taking it seriously and should have done it sooner tbh. 15.9 HI

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

36. Started playing casually at 32 and joined a club at 33. Current HI 15.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭macslash

I'm 29. Started in May of this year. Played a tiny amount when I was 13/14 but hated it. Starting handicap was 19.5 but current WHS HI has me at 22.8, which is much more accurate. I even managed a 2nd place a couple of months back in my 1st comp off 21. Needless to say that's still my best score to date!
    I'm loving it though! Had no intention of playing until Covid changed other plans I had. I've really gotten the bug for it and hope it continues. I'm finding the overall boards community a real help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

48. First played when I was 13. Played 36 holes lost as many balls and was hooked.
    Joined a club at 25 now at 12.7 (whs).

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

31. Started at 30. Like others, wish I had started earlier.
    Started the year with a CONGU HC of 28.0 and finished at 14.5 which I was delighted with.
    WHS is 13.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

52. Joined club/started playing 3 yrs ago where got an 18 HC and was coming in with 20points BEST CASE. Went up to 26 and was 23 just before WHS which is giving me a 20 HC index...currently remediating my #1 mistake, taking lessons (shoulda done it at start). Loving it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Played loads of pitch and putt at school age and played a bit of golf after college, maybe once a month, then took it a bit more serious and got a handicap at 32, started off at 15.
    42 now and 6.0 index

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

34 playing 2 years, handicap 18 now 12.4

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

32 now. Got my 1st official handicap at 16 years. Started off 18 and went to 19 shortly and then went to 17, 16, 13, 11, 9 and now currently playing off 7 for the last 3 years. My WHS is 5.5

Feel like I could get to 4 but would need to spend more time practicing to get the consistency. That's the goal for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

48. First swung a club at 41. Joined a club 5 years ago with two kids under 2. Started off at 19, which was crazy. Up to 22 and finally started to play close to my handicap this summer. New WHS handicap of 26.1 but I'm not sure about it. I think our slope rating is off and is being reviewed so that could come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

It's interesting to see our ages here. When you consider golf's lost generation is from about 25-45 and about 70% of us are in that bracket, you have to bear in mind when reading our opinions that we're probably not very reflective of the average golfer in a lot of ways. About 1 in 8 of us is over 50, whereas I'd hazard a guess that 80% of golfers nationally are in that age bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

36. Playing since I was 5 or 6 Id say, seriously since the age of 12 or 13. Been a member at the same club since I was 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

46, playing since I’m a kid with a handicap of 10.7 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

42, started playing when I was 11/12 when my dad used to go out. Played intermittently since, cud go 12 mths without playing. Work commitments and family got in the way. Had a HC 8 yrs ago of 18. But had big plans for this yr but covid hit, but played most weeks when allowed. Joining local club nxt yr.. hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

44, started playing in late 20's. Playing more regular last few years now kids are older. Index 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

49 now..started playing when I was 30. Current HI of 10.0.
    Goal is single figures.
    Haven't played winter golf in years. Usually put clubs away in October until April by which time I'm raring to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

I'm 36 now, started to play when I was about 9 after progressing from pitch and putt. Have had 2 separate stints of about 4 years away from the game for different reasons but back now since 2014 and will never be without golf now. Handicap 2.1.

Advertisement