Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Twizy licence

Options
  • 02-11-2020 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I've always had a thing for the Renault Twizy and I'm seriously thinking of one as a run about.

Does anyone know what sort of licence is needed to drive one ? It's classed as a Quadricycle. I currently have a full A licence and a leaner B licence .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Never mind , I found out that I need a B licence

You do know about the battery lease for the life of the vehicle ?

Yes , thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

This might sound dumb but is it true the doors are extra?

I actually like them too, if I was in a different stage of my life....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Are they allowed on the motorway?
    Been seeing one around lately. Looks like it would be great fun to drive.

• Advertisement

Are they allowed on the motorway?
    Been seeing one around lately. Looks like it would be great fun to drive.

Yes , they are but Jesus you'd want to be mental to take it on a motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

How much is the battery lease a month out of interest? Such mental little things, would be brilliant around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd never go near a motorway with one of these. I'd also be very fearful on a dual carriageway.

Having driven one about 4 years back. I was under impressed with the acceleration and the top speed. The whole door thing was off putting too.

Maybe I'd need a go again. Perhaps in a remapped one

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 64,760 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I love them, seriously looked into getting one about a year ago. I can live with all the drawbacks like no doors or windows, no heating, tiny battery, no fast charging, only 1 seat plus a tiny one in the back. But the insane prices and then on top of that the battery lease make it ridiculously poor value for money

If I could get one for a few grand with no battery lease, I would...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115116517&postcount=124

Something similar, Chinese version, I forget the price, its in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

unkel wrote: »
    I love them, seriously looked into getting one about a year ago. I can live with all the drawbacks like no doors or windows, no heating, tiny battery, no fast charging, only 1 seat plus a tiny one in the back. But the insane prices and then on top of that the battery lease make it ridiculously poor value for money

Seen a few around Dusseldorf used as runarounds.
    Their a bit awkward for parking since you are really supposed to park like a normal car and don't have the same flexibility as parking like a Motorbike.

You can get some windows on them, not strictly legal for TUV purposes but does make it a bit more comfortable.

Wouldn't go near the Autobahn with one.

Orebro wrote: »
    How much is the battery lease a month out of interest? Such mental little things, would be brilliant around the city.

Unfortunately no, but I think the lease adds much less to the value of the car as it gets older having to keep paying the same for a degrading battery + Renault state in the contract that they will decide whether to install a new battery or install a reconditioned battery and if they haven't dropped the cost of the lease will make it quite expensive given how much batteries have dropped in the last few years.

They guarntee around, if I remember correctly around 70% capacity not 100 so after all this leasing money you may never get another battery with much over 70% capacity and you're probably not even going to know if it's 2nd hand how much degradation it's suffered.

My opinion is that the battery lease is a bad deal, not saying they won't install a new battery but 1, they state clearly that they decide whether to install a new one or not and 2, you won't know at what % capacity is really.

Here's one for £3,999, which is a better price than most. Very low miles, but 8 years old. Ad doesn't mention it, but no doubt it comes with the "made for idiots" compulsory battery lease

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 23,258 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are they not a two seater? One behind the driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

ted1 wrote: »
    Are they not a two seater? One behind the driver

That’s what he said :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

i think they still have a compulsory lease from new

thats the way it looked on the website,

one of these would be handy on a small trailer behind a motorhome

Here's one for £3,999, which is a better price than most. Very low miles, but 8 years old. Ad doesn't mention it, but no doubt it comes with the "made for idiots" compulsory battery lease

Linky

Even at that price you'd by a decent 1.0L Petrol as a run-a-bout that would have heat and it would be dry and no misting up windows.

Twizzy is cool but it needs a serious update, one with proper doors and windows and heating, larger battery and 3 phase AC would be great.

I don't think I'd fancy being in it win wet gear with the wind and p1ssing rain blowing in on top of me.

3 phase? Are you mad? :p

The battery is just 6kWh, the granny lead can charge the car from empty to full in just 3 hours. That's perfectly fine. Also you can easily install some heaters yourself and get half decent windows. And of course overclock the bejaysus out of it so you get a higher top speed and much faster acceleration. Have a look at Andy Kirby's YT channel. He has done all of the above. Big in to the eBikes he is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,632 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think some people used to import used Twizys from Norway where the battery is included in the purchase price and not leased?
    I think it had to be 6/12 months old and a minimum num of kilometres on the clock.
    Some dealers there were even supposed to be registering in their names and running up enough km on the clock in the intervening months.
    Anyways, over here I think insurance was on the expensive side because its safety rating was poor?

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    I think some people used to import used Twizys from Norway where the battery is included in the purchase price and not leased?

Yep. And given that the Twizy is neither LHD or RHD, you could just import it here and have no problem with insurance or anything. I looked into this about a year ago. Second hand prices of Twizy's are very strong over there, so wasn't really a viable option.

Advertisement