Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nations cup November 2020 GENERAL THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Has a broadcaster been announced yet for the non Ireland games? All I've heard so far is Prime Video are UK broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

lertsnim wrote: »
    Has a broadcaster been announced yet for the non Ireland games? All I've heard so far is Prime Video are UK broadcasters.

Channel 4 have all the Ireland games IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

lertsnim wrote: »
    Amazon Prime is the main broadcaster.

Some matches will be available to watch on terrestrial television. Channel 4 (and RTE in Ireland) will show Ireland’s fixtures as well,
    Channel 4 will also show highlights from all rounds.

Every Wales match will also be shown on S4C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Is anyone else like me? I can get no enthusiasm for this tournament whatsoever. The previous 6N has just concluded and next one is just 3 months away yet we have same teams playing each other plus Georgia and Fiji with no spectators at the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

It’s a chance to at least build some momentum before the 6N and a chance to put the loss at the weekend behind us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Is anyone else like me? I can get no enthusiasm for this tournament whatsoever. The previous 6N has just concluded and next one is just 3 months away yet we have same teams playing each other plus Georgia and Fiji with no spectators at the games.

If they roll out mostly the same players that played in the 6N then yes. This is the perfect chance to try out new combinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm actually pretty excited about it. Doesn't have the pressure of the 6N so we should be able to try out some new combinations and caps but there's still something to play for. Reminds me of a more elite Churchill Cup which was always good fun.

I think Ireland’s big issue this 6N has been the lack of a distributor at centre/fullback, Ringrose or maybe Carbery at 15 are the obvious players who can fill those roles when fit but right now I would be looking at Chris Farrell at 13 as he has the best hands of all the centre’s we currently have and could at least provide something different at 13 to Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'll always be excited for international rugby to be honest.

With the fact that this doesn't affect world cup rankings at all, will be hoping for a lot of outside players to get a chance against the likes of Fiji and Georgia, and maybe some new combos against the bigger teams.

I think it does effect the world rankings, it’s just the world rankings don’t mean anything as there is no World Cup draw go build our ranking up towards.

• Advertisement

I'll always be excited for international rugby to be honest.

With the fact that this doesn't affect world cup rankings at all, will be hoping for a lot of outside players to get a chance against the likes of Fiji and Georgia, and maybe some new combos against the bigger teams.
    You would hope that but will it happen enough?
    UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    I think it does effect the world rankings, it’s just the world rankings don’t mean anything as there is no World Cup draw go build our ranking up towards.
    All games effect the rankings but squidgy just said they dont affect anything about a world cup draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think the games will be a bit like world cup warm up matches, but hopefully we will see a bit of rotation.

Is there a separate squad from the 6Ns to be announced, or will it just be the same group of players?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

At present the lack of tv coverage in Ireland for this tournament is a bit of a downer - the IRFU seem to be intent on treating this as a “Guinness Series” and disregarding the tournament aspect completely. As it is the only way for viewers in the Republic to watch non-Ireland games is Wales matches on S4C - for those lucky enough to have it - with Welsh commentary (better than nothing I guess). It may be this will be resolved but it’s still a disappointing situation and different to the festival of international rugby we normally get.

You would hope that but will it happen enough?

All games effect the rankings but squidgy just said they dont affect anything about a world cup draw.

Yeah exactly.

Wales have got to be one of the luckiest teams ever when it comes to ranking, the are now top seeds when they could so easily have been 3rd seeds the way things have gone. Down to 8th in the world and much closer to Japan in 9th than Scotland in 7th.

bilston wrote: »
    I think the games will be a bit like world cup warm up matches, but hopefully we will see a bit of rotation.

Is there a separate squad from the 6Ns to be announced, or will it just be the same group of players?

A little except there is no world cup coming up so the players wont have injuries to worry about and will give it their all.

For the most part it will be but I assume more players will be called up for this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭WhoamI2022

So this fixtures

Fri 13 Nov
    Ireland
    v
    Wales
    Aviva Stadium

Sat 21 Nov
    England
    v
    Ireland
    Twickenham Stadium

Sun 29 Nov
    Ireland
    v
    Georgia
    Aviva Stadium

December 2020
    Sat 5 Dec
    Ireland
    v
    TBC
    Aviva Stadium

Four weeks of international rugby. I'll take it.

What makes people think we won't be fielding full strength teams? Might be some rotation against Georgia if there are no bonus points. Is there bonus points? I don't see anything about them. I don't think there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Georgia will likely see 10 or so changes.

Four weeks of international rugby. I'll take it.

What makes people think we won't be fielding full strength teams? Might be some rotation against Georgia if there are no bonus points. Is there bonus points? I don't see anything about them. I don't think there are.
    There will be plenty rotation against Georgia.
    There is usual bonus points, for 4 tries and lose by 7

https://www.autumnnationscup.com/about-us/

Georgia will likely see 10 or so changes.

People expect the same thing against Italy every year but it rarely happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

This is more akin to the summer games against other tier 2 nations though.

This is more akin to the summer games against other tier 2 nations though.

If they had no bearing on the final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

"A Tied Match:

In the event of a tie at full-time in a play-off Match, the teams will be placed according to the number of tries (including penalty tries) scored by each such team in the play-off Match. If the teams have scored the same number of tries (including penalty tries), then the team that has conceded the fewest number of penalties during the play-off Match shall prevail. If two Participating teams are still tied, then the Participating team whose team is ranked highest in the official World Rugby rankings as at 12 November 2020 shall prevail."

While highly unlikely it'll come to it, what a crappy way to decide a game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Boscoirl wrote: »
    "A Tied Match:

In the event of a tie at full-time in a play-off Match, the teams will be placed according to the number of tries (including penalty tries) scored by each such team in the play-off Match. If the teams have scored the same number of tries (including penalty tries), then the team that has conceded the fewest number of penalties during the play-off Match shall prevail. If two Participating teams are still tied, then the Participating team whose team is ranked highest in the official World Rugby rankings as at 12 November 2020 shall prevail."

A tight 5 penalty shootout would be far better

• Subscribers Posts: 40,978 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there is absolutely no comparison between a 6 nations game against italy, in which we invariably have to rack up a lot for points difference.... to any of these autumn games.

it is a completely meaningless competition which is perfect to try new players / play existing 'out of form' / 'back from injury' players in.....

our front line players are after coming from about 6 weeks of constant high level games.... will be facing into Heineken cup games come the second week of december and starting the 2021 6 nations in 8 weeks after that.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    "A Tied Match:

Quite similar to how domestic rugby games here are decided which is team with most tries, if team have scored equal number of tries it goes to first try then first team to score.

Could be worse it could be toss of a coin.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    there is absolutely no comparison between a 6 nations game against italy, in which we invariably have to rack up a lot for points difference.... to any of these autumn games.

it is a completely meaningless competition which is perfect to try new players / play existing 'out of form' / 'back from injury' players in.....

our front line players are after coming from about 6 weeks of constant high level games.... will be facing into Heineken cup games come the second week of december and starting the 2021 6 nations in 8 weeks after that.

I'll believe it when I see it. Autumn internationals are essentially meaningless competitions yet we always go out to win them. I reckon every match will be full strength with maybe the exception of Georgia but even still we'd want to be guaranteed the four tries.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bilston wrote: »

There's nothing I hate more than world cup warm up matches. Watching a meaningless game through your fingers wondering which of your star players is going to get crocked before the tournament - not for me!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'll believe it when I see it. Autumn internationals are essentially meaningless competitions yet we always go out to win them. I reckon every match will be full strength with maybe the exception of Georgia but even still we'd want to be guaranteed the four tries.

We alway make wholesale changes for the tier 2 nations we play in the AIs. I'd expect the same for the Georgia game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Some good news on the TV rights front:

Premier Sports have secured the Irish rights to all games not involving Ireland, so we will be able to see these thankfully.

Ryle Nugent to anchor, something he hasn’t done in a good while, with Rob Kearney in the studio.

https://www.premiersports.com/autumn-nations-cup

Advertisement