Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Ireland Website

• 02-11-2020 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭

So the new website is well and truly live now. At first glance over the weekend, I think it looks pretty sharp. What are your thoughts? I figure there are bound to be some issues with missing things and others not doing what they should. I know I've seen a few. Maybe we can keep this thread to the actual website function rather than going off on tangents about how the WHS works, we have enough of that on the other threads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I have noticed using safari on my Mac Book that the rightmost column, WHS Index, is not showing. I need to drag the screen sideways to view and when I do, it looks crap. The old golfnet site actually had similar issues.

Found the same problem on the iPad except it was worse, couldn't see past the AG column without having to drag it over.

The orange indicator for the counting rounds is beside the AG column, but really it should be against the SD column as the lowest AG might not always be a counting score. It is the lowest 8 SD scores which count.

Do we really need the entered column??

GreeBo wrote: »
    golfnet.
    Which at least gives competition names
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Very hard to track issues without the comp names

lifted from other thread, absolutely makes no sense not to include the comp name

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Salvadoor

I like it. It looks way better than the Golfnet site

Salvadoor wrote: »
    I like it. It looks way better than the Golfnet site

yes, cool feature which gives you an indicator of how your HI compares with others in your club, county and country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Definitely nicer than golfnet. Hopefully they will do a good job on the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Seve OB wrote: »
    I have noticed using safari on my Mac Book that the rightmost column, WHS Index, is not showing. I need to drag the screen sideways to view and when I do, it looks crap. The old golfnet site actually had similar issues.
    Found the same problem on the iPad except it was worse, couldn't see past the AG column without having to drag it over.
    Have you tried reducing the zoom level in your browser? I'd say it would be still very readable at a zoom level of 80%.
    The orange indicator for the counting rounds is beside the AG column, but really it should be against the SD column as the lowest AG might not always be a counting score. It is the lowest 8 SD scores which count.
    I suspect that it's done that way because it would mean more to the average golfer than SD which is a reasonably complex calculation.
    Do we really need the entered column??
    No. On the club side you get both an entered column and a played column. I would have thought (and the above comment about comp names is pertinent here too) a played column would be more useful.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Have you tried reducing the zoom level in your browser? I'd say it would be still very readable at a zoom level of 80%.

I suspect that it's done that way because it would mean more to the average golfer than SD which is a reasonably complex calculation.

No. On the club side you get both an entered column and a played column. I would have thought (and the above comment about comp names is pertinent here too) a played column would be more useful.

no haven't zoomed on the browser and i shouldn't have to. in fact if i was my old man looking at it, i'd be wanting to zoom in and not out. i'm pointing out a flaw in the design.

on my screen i get the entered and the played column, no need to see the entered date, apart from the bulk upload which has all my rounds dated 29th October, it really should be no more than a day or 2 after the comp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Looks like there's no way to logout!
    On PC, it's a choice on the "Name" dropdown on top left. This appears differently on a smaller screen and I can't see the logout button. You can replicate this by narrowing your browser window until the "Your Name" button with the dropdown arrow changes to "burger bars" (the 3 small horizontal lines).

This is painful when you have more than one account (son) that can also be accessed from the same phone.

no haven't zoomed on the browser and i shouldn't have to. in fact if i was my old man looking at it, i'd be wanting to zoom in and not out. i'm pointing out a flaw in the design.
    If you try it on a mobile phone it drops columns out. There always seems to be a problem with responsive web pages when the screen size is only slightly reduced and it remains in desktop mode. That's why I asked if you'd tried zooming out a bit. It's actually very readable at 90% and I'm in the same category as your dad I suspect.
    on my screen i get the entered and the played column, no need to see the entered date, apart from the bulk upload which has all my rounds dated 29th October, it really should be no more than a day or 2 after the comp
    No, I agree. Forgot that was there on the member side as well. Not really necessary imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I like the website from desktop, not so much for mobile. They really should have had an app available at launch.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Looks like there's no way to logout!
    On PC, it's a choice on the "Name" dropdown on top left. This appears differently on a smaller screen and I can't see the logout button. You can replicate this by narrowing your browser window until the "Your Name" button with the dropdown arrow changes to "burger bars" (the 3 small horizontal lines).

This is painful when you have more than one account (son) that can also be accessed from the same phone.
    Found the answer. Just close the browser on your phone and you're automatically logged out.

Found the answer. Just close the browser on your phone and you're automatically logged out.

yea i noticed that, actually another flaw if you ask me as i've ticked to stay logged in. i'd rather not have to keep logging in, especially when i've asked it not to log me out.

yea i noticed that, actually another flaw if you ask me as i've ticked to stay logged in. i'd rather not have to keep logging in, especially when i've asked it not to log me out.
    Eh? :confused:

The problem reported was not being able to log out, not being logged out automatically.

It's actually very readable at 90% and I'm in the same category as your dad I suspect.

i couldn't actually figure out how to change the zoom!!
    yes it does become readable, but when i do it, it changes the default, so all other websites get zoomed out. thats not what i want
    also, look at the homepage of golf ireland, zoom in and out. it looks crap when you zoom in, page doesn't get filled, blank all down right hand side

the point remains..... it is a flaw in the design of the website

i couldn't actually figure out how to change the zoom!!
    yes it does become readable, but when i do it, it changes the default, so all other websites get zoomed out. thats not what i want
    also, look at the homepage of golf ireland, zoom in and out. it looks crap when you zoom in, page doesn't get filled, blank all down right hand side

the point remains..... it is a flaw in the design of the website
    I'm going to channel my inner Apple hatred and blame it on Safari. Dog of a browser. :D

Proper browsers only change the zoom level for the tab you changed it on. :pac:

Eh? :confused:

The problem reported was not being able to log out, not being logged out automatically.

i understand that.
    what im saying is though that there is another problem
    its logging me out automatically, but ive requested to stay logged in.
    it would be like having to sign into boards every time you booted up a browser, but you don't have to do that.
    its seem you do though with golf ireland

I'm going to channel my inner Apple hatred and blame it on Safari. Dog of a browser. :D

Proper browsers only change the zoom level for the tab you changed it on. :pac:

i'll be in work tomorrow and try it on IE & Chrome

not sure about your second point in the above browsers. im not into downloading cool browsers, im satisfied with consumer ones

also, would you then have to change it every time you go on the site.... again, that is not ideal is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I like it so far. Few quirks here and there but I'm sure those will be addressed once reported by users in the weeks to come. I don't agree about the need for an app. A responsive website is the best way to go.

i understand that.
    what im saying is though that there is another problem
    its logging me out automatically, but ive requested to stay logged in.
    it would be like having to sign into boards every time you booted up a browser, but you don't have to do that.
    its seem you do though with golf ireland
    A lot of sites do that now. Master Scoreboard logs you out after 15 minutes or so. I wouldn't consider that a flaw tbh.

A lot of sites do that now. Master Scoreboard logs you out after 15 minutes or so. I wouldn't consider that a flaw tbh.

then why do they bother with the tick box to see if you want to stay logged in?

• Advertisement

i'll be in work tomorrow and try it on IE & Chrome

not sure about your second point in the above browsers. im not into downloading cool browsers, im satisfied with consumer ones

also, would you then have to change it every time you go on the site.... again, that is not ideal is it?
    On PC in any browser (bar Safari I presume) Ctrl- or Ctrl+ are the zoom out and zoom in controls. Very easy.

then why do they bother with the tick box to see if you want to stay logged in?
    Normally you set the timeout in the backend of the website. Controls like 'keep me logged in' are overridden if you set the timeout below a certain threshold. It's usually done when sites are busy or likely to be. The may set it back when the rush dies down.

On PC in any browser (bar Safari I presume) Ctrl- or Ctrl+ are the zoom out and zoom in controls. Very easy.

thanks for that, figured out its cmd- on apple, i had found it in a drop down menu... on my pc in work bottom right, little think i can click with mouse to change zoom levels on early every program i use. im not used to or familiar with key strokes so i'll probably forget your tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I’d like to see an option to show all my scores on one screen. When you select the option “my scores” mine over 4 pages. Most sites give an option to show a certain amount of records

I’d like to see an option to show all my scores on one screen. When you select the option “my scores” mine over 4 pages. Most sites give an option to show a certain amount of records
    Even to show your last twenty on the Overview page would be good.

From a selfish point of view I’d like to see some sort of logon pass through. So if I’m logged in as me on my ckub website or app that I could open the golf Ireland pages without having to login. We have that with handicapmaster

From a selfish point of view I’d like to see some sort of logon pass through. So if I’m logged in as me on my ckub website or app that I could open the golf Ireland pages without having to login. We have that with handicapmaster

Like some kind of administrative rights or different levels of access? That would make sense, I have that in many of the programmes I use in work.

So trying on Chrome in work
    Looks great, but I have a large monitor.
    reduced the window size and cannot see columns out to the right.
    i can't scroll right on it

its grand and all, but you have to have the window open full

a prober website will wrap the text somehow when you reduce the window size

Internet Explorer . . . . . . forget about it, can't even log in, just get a green screen with logo in the centre

Nobody codes for explorer anymore, even edge is very rarely covered.

Chrome, safari and Firefox

More than likely they have used something like bootstrap as the front end framework and that will have some resizing issues. I’d say for the most part the site is quite good.

Once they get the native app right !

• Advertisement

Nobody codes for explorer anymore, even edge is very rarely covered.

Chrome, safari and Firefox

More than likely they have used something like bootstrap as the front end framework and that will have some resizing issues. I’d say for the most part the site is quite good.

Once they get the native app right !

Yea I know IE is a thing of the past.... I just have to use it for a website I use for work because it is not available on any other platform...... get this, a bank website!!!!! It’s a dinosaur, hasn’t ever changed since it launched close to 20 years ago, they never even fixed the initial flaws in it.

Would agree with you, for the most part, website looks great.
    I’ve no idea what a native app means.

Advertisement