Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blindboy Podcast

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Cienciano wrote: »
    Blindboy was on Adam Buxtons podcast this week if anyone is interested

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

Cienciano wrote: »
    Blindboy was on Adam Buxtons podcast this week if anyone is interested

Just listened to it. Found it surprisingly tedious and disappointing. Incessant waffle about post-modernism and what he learned in art college.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Found his podcast with Graham Norton very enjoyable a couple of weeks ago.
    Graham is a very pleasant interviewee in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ardent wrote: »
    Just listened to it. Found it surprisingly tedious and disappointing. Incessant waffle about post-modernism and what he learned in art college.

So, blindboy then. A bit on feminism, bit on "flow" too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'Best Chestnuts' Going on about the troubles again. I was hoping for a relaxing holiday podcast. A lot of what he is telling us I already know. Kenya, Black Panthers, British propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Found his podcast with Graham Norton very enjoyable a couple of weeks ago.
    Graham is a very pleasant interviewee in fairness.

I only listened to this recently and Hozier one.

Blindboy interrupts a bit too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I usually like his podcast but today's one I felt he talked a lot without actually saying much.

Not a great pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I wish he would concentrate on talking about mental health/music and doing his short stories.

All the woke Marxist student ****e is insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭onrail

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I wish he would concentrate on talking about mental health/music and doing his short stories.

All the woke Marxist student ****e is insufferable.

I simply don't get the short stories so tend to skip. Each to their own .

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

Blindboy talking about Ireland & food (Chicken fillet rolls episode) was one of the worst podcasts i've heard in a long while. Painful & ignorant generalisations of Ireland's food culture, and did a massive disservice and ran our countries food culture & industry down internationally.

I found myself getting the opposite of a podcast hug, podcast boils.

BLINDBOY, NEVER TALK ABOUT IRISH FOOD, OR FOOD IN GENERAL, AGAIN.

AND QUIT THE EXCESSIVE BRIT BASHING TOO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Blindboy talking about Ireland & food (Chicken fillet rolls episode) was one of the worst podcasts i've heard in a long while. Painful & ignorant generalisations of Ireland's food culture, and did a massive disservice and ran our countries food culture & industry down internationally.

It would make you squirm alright.

And I'm sick of hearing him blame everything on the Brits. Even deli counters in service stations.

I actually found it quite amusing I remembered Romantica etc., I thought his reminiscence about his birthday pizza was funny and communion wafers. Ireland doesn't have a renowned food culture like Italy, Spain, France and a distinctive cuisine like Germany it just doesn't. Why not have a bit of a laugh at ourselves and the way things were in the 90's

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I actually found it quite amusing I remembered Romantica etc., I thought his reminiscence about his birthday pizza was funny and communion wafers. Ireland doesn't have a renowned food culture like Italy, Spain, Germany it just doesn't. Why not have a bit of a laugh at ourselves and the way things were in the 90's

I'm glad you liked it. You see, I've no issue with Blindoys family frying pizzas and all the rest of it, but when he makes it out to be like all Irish familys were frying pizzas and eating cardboard, then I draw the line.

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF BLINDBOY AND NOT FOR THE REST OF US!!

Listening to Blindboy talking about Irish food was like listening to Frank McCourt talking about Irish weather from his childhood.

P.S. Irish food culture is easily on a par with The Germans.

I'm glad you liked it. You see, I've no issue with Blindoys family frying pizzas and all the rest of it, but when he makes it out to be like all Irish familys were frying pizzas and eating cardboard, then I draw the line.

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF BLINDBOY AND NOT FOR THE REST OF US!!

Listening to Blindboy talking about Irish food was like listening to Frank McCourt talking about Irish weather from his childhood.

P.S. Irish food culture is easily on a par with The Germans.

Of course he's speaking for himself, isn't that the whole point of a podcast it's from an individual's point of view.

Bratwurst and sauerkraut are known world wide, bacon and cabbage just aren't. Even Scotland has distinctive national dishes.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Of course he's speaking for himself, isn't that the whole point of a podcast it's from an individual's point of view.

Bratwurst and sauerkraut are known world wide, bacon and cabbage just aren't. Even Scotland has distinctive national dishes.

You miss my point. Sure Blindboy spoke for himself... AND he took the liberty to speak on behalf of the rest of us. Tarnished all Irish people with the same pizza frying brush.

Irish stew IS known worldwide. Now YOU'RE running us down too :rolleyes:

You miss my point. Sure Blindboy spoke for himself... AND he took the liberty to speak on behalf of the rest of us. Tarnished all Irish people with the same pizza frying brush.

Irish stew IS known worldwide. Now YOU'RE running us down too :rolleyes:

Oh yes whenever I go to the continent there are loads of restaurants selling Irish stew which is in effect vegetable soup which multiple countries have.

Actually the most shocking thing about the podcast was his advert for banking. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭onrail

Yeah I found the CFR podcast great - one of the best in a while actually. His food-memories were pretty much identical to mine, which was comforting in a way. :D

You can't deny that ireland has a relatively poor culinary culture historically. We've a great reputation for ingredients and produce, but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

onrail wrote: »
    Yeah I found the CFR podcast great - one of the best in a while actually. His food-memories were pretty much identical to mine, which was comforting in a way. :D

You can't deny that ireland has a relatively poor culinary culture historically. We've a great reputation for ingredients and produce, but that's it.

There are about 10 Irish dishes and half of them are just rebranded English ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭MercuryBoy

The new one with Adam Curtis is good, Blindboy lets him speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

MercuryBoy wrote: »
      The new one with Adam Curtis is good, Blindboy lets him speak!

Id say i listened to 70-90 of his podcasts from the start and nearly all of the ones with a guest he wouldnt shut his mouth most of the time and let them speak. I dont listen to him now because i got sick of it even though i really enjoyed a lot of them. i also avoided the mental health ones as i found them totally boring.

i slagged his accent on twitter as a joke and he blocked me so now i think he's a wanker who cant take a little slagging.

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

Really enjoyed some of his hot takes as of late. It may be shíte-talk but interesting angles on things, all the same. His ramble about the absurdities of Irish mainstream media and the bandits relationship with it was very entertaining, this week. If it's true what he said about them only getting 500 off RTE for Horse outside, then that's ridiculous. I know there'll be wags who'll say 500 was generous, but, really, considering what a select club in RTE make, it's extraordinarily tight-fisted.

Would have been great if they'd gotten that daytime show to go along with their demand to talk about their new invention, grey pudding.

3. Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That 2fm presenter voice he does is funny, had never heard of the Yellow Magic Orchestra, gave their first album a listen on YouTube, probably not my thing but I love hearing about stuff like that.

4. Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I wonder why he choose to remove the visibility of his patreon subscriber numbers?

5. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

His podcast can be entertaining, but he doesn't really do his homework on the subjects he covers, unless it's music, psychology or art history.

When he starts in non art history, economics, politics he doesn't half talk ****e.

6. Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

This weeks Psychoprobiotics pod was Blindboy at his best. Rewarding & positive.

I do eyeroll a little though when I hear Blindboy discussing his tech issues.

"My harddisk got completely full so I had to buy a new PC" "The fan overheated"

Like, you don't have to buy a new PC everytime your harddisk fills up Blindboy. Buy an external drive!

7. Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Like, you don't have to buy a new PC everytime your harddisk fills up Blindboy. Buy an external drive!

I couldn't listen to the podcast because I could hear the piano in the background and it was putting me off the conversation with the experts. It's okay if you don't need to concentrate.

I don't know what his situation was with his pc.

8. Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I hope he mentioned rare minerals mining again whilst still being a giant hypocrite about it

9. Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

Beersmith wrote: »
      I wonder why he choose to remove the visibility of his patreon subscriber numbers?

Because he's absolutely raking it in and it's harder to justify listening to hot-takes on the strifes of life from the ramblings of a very wealthy financially comfortable man

10. Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

deep_dish wrote: »
      Because he's absolutely raking it in and it's harder to justify listening to hot-takes on the strifes of life from the ramblings of a very wealthy financially comfortable man

I think it fluctuates, patreons remain for a time and then leave. I think it is fair to base donation not on how many other people have donated but on the value you feel you get out of the piece of art whether it be a youtube video, podcast, painting.

I would very much doubt that he is making serious bank on this, he hardly has any sponsorship and had to start doing twitch.

If you don't find it valuable then don't listen. I was a patreon for a while. I'm saving money at present but I may donate again in the future.

11. Advertisement
    12. Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭2011abc

I cancelled my Patreon debit to him this morning .He was pushing masks rabidly even before the government and now today hes taking digs at those with opposing views to him re Lockdowns /'Pandemic' etc In a world where many issues are split almost 50/50 anybody in business or dealing with public would do well to remain genuinely neutral and objective .

Advertisement