Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting season suspended due to lockdown?

• 30-10-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Anyone get a communication from any governing body stating that the shooting season ( not stalking funnily enough) is to be suspended due to lockdown? NARGC website stated on OCT 20th that it's interpretation was that is would be ok within 5 km. There are rumors about a suspension but no update on NARCG website.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Seen it on the Garda website and as they now have the powers of fine/arrest under SI 448 it seems its not going to happen. The 1st i mean.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I cant understand why people are so annoyed. It says you can shoot vermin as it's essential. If you happen to see a pheasant while out shooting vermin then it's completely legal to shoot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Wadi14

lol nice try juice, but sadly no

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wadi14 wrote: »
    lol nice try juice, but sadly no

And whose going to check it?Are we expecting AGs to be standing around every field waiting for us to return?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

juice1304 wrote: »
    If you happen to see a pheasant while out shooting vermin then it's completely legal to shoot it.

Or, bear with me now, stick a knife in the Pheasants hand (or bird's equivalent) and claim it as self defense. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

Please note according to Nargc stalking also falls under this new ban.
    I firmly believe that if farmers knew that stalking was stopped they would be uproar but that the garda announcement purposely omitted the word deer but implied it by using game to avoid bringing it to the attention of farmers and the IFA

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

This is the green party at work, this was also left to the last minute to be announced by design.

Going forward in the next election regardless of how you have previously voted how could any man here vote again (if the had ) for those that are currently in government.

Going thru FB and social media.A lot of lads are going to go out on the 1st and are saying FU to this latest outrage to shooters. Can't blame them really...Just don't get caught whatever you do.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Going thru FB and social media.A lot of lads are going to go out on the 1st and are saying FU to this latest outrage to shooters. Can't blame them really...Just don't get caught whatever you do.
    Thats grand except some of us wont go out because of a simple thing like right and wrong.
    if those on social media spent as much time contacting TDs as they do posting might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Can you shoot on your own property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm not a legal expert so take what I say with a pinch of salt but why can't hunting within 5km of your home be considered exercise and therefore allowable if you are doing it on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I won't be going out as I don't want to take the risk of getting caught.
    Another thing I was wondering is if someone did go hunting and had an accident would their insurance cover them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

zeissman wrote: »
    Another thing I was wondering is if someone did go hunting and had an accident would their insurance cover them ?

I would imagine that NARGC insurance will not cover them as they have been told by NARGC that it’s banned. The same would then apply to other insurance cover brokers.

Risky going out with no insurance cover as many farmers only give permission to Gun Clubs, knowing they have public liability cover. Farmers may not be happy to find out that lads out pheasant shooting on their land have no insurance cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

This is the green party at work, this was also left to the last minute to be announced by design.

Going forward in the next election regardless of how you have previously voted how could any man here vote again (if the had ) for those that are currently in government.

Yes - but its the other 2 parties in government that are letting them indulge in this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Wadi14

And whose going to check it?Are we expecting AGs to be standing around every field waiting for us to return?

I don't think it said anywhere that anyone was going to check, as reasonable law abiding firearms license holders, do we need to be checked to see if we are out shooting Pheasants ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It says they have made no changes to the legislation and vermin control is essential. So it is still entirely legal to shoot them. If I was out shooting vermin and saw a pheasant I would shoot it, Just bring a crow or pigeon with you back to the car.
    Even if they argue you are out to shoot pheasants or deer etc. as long as you have actually shot vermin what can they do. Banning the large shoots makes sense, and that's probably what they envisage shooting to be. But a man alone in a field shooting vermin :< is not going to be contracting or spreading the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Thats grand except some of us wont go out because of a simple thing like right and wrong.
    if those on social media spent as much time contacting TDs as they do posting might be better.

Right and wrong are quantitative in this situation.Is it right that golf,hurling, cycling,jogging etc are permitted within 5kms ,but shooting is not?What has the chance of spreading the disease more ?A minority sport that had a out a 5 month lifespan per year or a more pouplar sport that can be done any day of the year?
    We are all supposed 'to be in this together." Well it sure as Hell doesn't feel like it. .Since Golfgate.Either the rules are for ALL sports,or thy arent going to be obeyed by anyone
    How do you know that they havent bern contacting their TDs either??Been on the damn phone& computer all day about this...Again.
    Sitting here listening to Limerick sound like a bloody warzone with illegal bangers going off.AGS would be better employed in chasing down that,than bothering lads out for amallard or pheasent tomrrow.

J.R. wrote: »
    I would imagine that NARGC insurance will not cover them as they have been told by NARGC that it’s banned. The same would then apply to other insurance cover brokers.

Risky going out with no insurance cover as many farmers only give permission to Gun Clubs, knowing they have public liability cover. Farmers may not be happy to find out that lads out pheasant shooting on their land have no insurance cover.

All the more reason to have a separate personal insurance.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yes - but its the other 2 parties in government that are letting them indulge in this nonsense

Also for sure, how could any-man here vote for either of those party's.

• Advertisement

Well I’m genuinely concerned about climate Change and I don’t believe FFG will do enough so it’s my way of expressing my grave concern.
    I’m sick of broken promises on everything else as I don’t believe any of the main parties on anything.

As for field sports, they are dying a death anyway there simply isn’t wild game enough to make a season, I can’t justify taking Woodcock or Snipe anymore, I haven't seen Widgeon in years and Pochard forget about them. So that leaves pigeons and reared Pheasants that are nowadays little more than clay pigeons with feathers, that’s not hunting in my book.

So that’s that Napoleon.

From another thread earlier this year here on the shooting forum where a member is stating he will be voting green party(how is that working out for us now)..lets not forget that we as shooters(well some of us anyway) have brought this upon ourselves by voting for these idiots.

Now more than ever as a shooting community we need band together, and regardless of what our chosen corner of shooting is be it birds, deer or tartget we all need support each other. I have fired 2 shots in the last 10 years at pheasants as I have no interest in them but yet I have contacted TD's about this, how many here that is purely a pheasant/duck shooter can say they did the same regarding the delay in the deer licences? we need to be united, we need to stop voting the likes of the greens and those that will share power with them, we need to contact TD's on all shooting related issues and not just ones close to our own heart.
    Be under no illusion the green party minister has his agenda here regarding the pheasant and the deer licence issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Vizzy

From another thread earlier this year here on the shooting forum where a member is stating he will be voting green party(how is that working out for us now)..lets not forget that we as shooters(well some of us anyway) have brought this upon ourselves by voting for these idiots.

Now more than ever as a shooting community we need band together, and regardless of what our chosen corner of shooting is be it birds, deer or tartget we all need support each other. I have fired 2 shots in the last 10 years at pheasants as I have no interest in them but yet I have contacted TD's about this,how many here that is purely a pheasant/ duck shooter can say they did the same regarding the delay in the deer licences? we need to be united, we need to stop voting the likes of the greens and those that will share power with them, we need to contact TD's on all shooting related issues and not just ones close to our own heart.
    Be under no illusion the green party minister has his agenda here regarding the pheasant and the deer licence issue.

I have, as I did with the Derogation issue, this issue and issues such as the "makey uppy" rules by some Gardai in relation to licencing.
    Not that I am trying to be some sort of hero, but I agree with you 100% that we need to stand together on "all matters shooting/hunting".
    As regards the Greens, unfortunately I don't have an opportunity to vent my anger against them locally as the last Green candidate here got about 20 first preference votes ( and he comes from a large family :P).
    Unfortunately though, we don't do ourselves any favours with comments about "bring a crow with you and you can shoot away at pheasants tomorrow".

I don't like it any more than anyone else here, but for the moment if you are hunting for game, then you are breaking the law.

Now more than ever as a shooting community we need band together, and regardless of what our chosen corner of shooting is be it birds, deer or tartget we all need support each other. I have fired 2 shots in the last 10 years at pheasants as I have no interest in them but yet I have contacted TD's about this, how many here that is purely a pheasant/duck shooter can say they did the same regarding the delay in the deer licences? we need to be united, we need to stop voting the likes of the greens and those that will share power with them, we need to contact TD's on all shooting related issues and not just ones close to our own heart.

In fairness, hardly anyone votes for the greens, shooters or not. They are a one trick pony, that only appeal to the green zealots/nutters. They are there in a position of power because they were needed to make up the numbers with the other two cheeks of the same arse, to make up a government, and because ffg's paymasters wanted to keep the shinners out, thats all.

Like Labour were, they will be decimated the next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Right and wrong are quantitative in this situation.Is it right that golf,hurling, cycling,jogging etc are permitted within 5kms ,but shooting is not?What has the chance of spreading the disease more ?A minority sport that had a out a 5 month lifespan per year or a more pouplar sport that can be done any day of the year?
    We are all supposed 'to be in this together." Well it sure as Hell doesn't feel like it. .Since Golfgate.Either the rules are for ALL sports,or thy arent going to be obeyed by anyone
    How do you know that they havent bern contacting their TDs either??Been on the damn phone& computer all day about this...Again.
    Sitting here listening to Limerick sound like a bloody warzone with illegal bangers going off.AGS would be better employed in chasing down that,than bothering lads out for amallard or pheasent tomrrow.

This post by 100 it really annoys me the unfairness of this recreational hunting ban. We are in level 5 because of the fall out surrounding the county finals yet gaa games go ahead.
    I cannot begin to express how angry I am right noe

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

went out this morning as i would any first of november with my shooting buddy but without guns. we walked the fields with our dogs for about 3 hours a man each side of the hedge breaking no law. met a few people doing the same dont see how its safer to leave the guns at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

grassroot1 wrote: »
    This post by 100 it really annoys me the unfairness of this recreational hunting ban. We are in level 5 because of the fall out surrounding the county finals yet gaa games go ahead.
    I cannot begin to express how angry I am right noe
    Same here I was watching the games on tv because I couldn't go shooting with my dogs and was giving out to the telly telling them not to be doing handbag stuff and they were an awful lot closer than I would have been to anyone, i'm just sick of what the Government is doing to us, we are scapegoats for gun crime and now scapegoats for covid.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

skipking wrote: »
    went out this morning as i would any first of november with my shooting buddy but without guns. we walked the fields with our dogs for about 3 hours a man each side of the hedge breaking no law. met a few people doing the same dont see how its safer to leave the guns at home.

I did the same, filled a few feeders too. One local poacher was out banging away but cleared off when he saw us approaching. There's always one gobs***e who ignores the rules and we'll all get tarred with that brush.

In todays paper, there is an un-named FG td complaining that this game shooting ban was the brain-child of the greens, which seems likely. The rural blueshirts are getting it in the neck.

tudderone wrote: »
    In todays paper, there is an un-named FG td complaining that this game shooting ban was the brain-child of the greens, which seems likely. The rural blueshirts are getting it in the neck.

And rightly so, unfortunately this is the age we live in, unless you are proactive in emailing and phoning and being vocal about issues then noting gets done. the more you contact and pressure TD's the better. In general its not our way as we like to just get on with our way of life without hassle etc but our way will be eroded unless we stand up and be heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Folks,

For those of you referring to the GAA, you need to remember one thing :

The GAA are well organised, stand united, and quickly remind the politicans of their influence, when they need to.

We, on the other hand.....

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement