Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market 2020

• 14-10-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Galway City Council just announced (on FB) that there will be no events in Eyre Square this year. That includes the Christmas Market. Shame as the market brings a lovely atmosphere to the city but I can see why they are being cautious to avoid events that could get crowded.
    Who would have thought that a tiny virus would save The Precious (Grass).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

https://www.facebook.com/GalwayCityCouncil/posts/3704806296196729

linky attached
    Organised Public Gatherings at Eyre Square
    Following the public health guidelines and the release of the Governments ‘Resilience and Recovery 2020-2021: Plan for Living with COVID-19’ framework, Galway City Council has taken the difficult decision in the interest of public safety to cancel activities and events in Eyre Square in the coming months including the Christmas Markets and comedy festival.
    We understand this news will come as a disappointment to the general public, event producers and traders as well as the local businesses.
    Galway City Council would like to acknowledge the efforts of the various event producers in adjusting their plans to comply with the latest and changing guidelines. However, Galway City Council has decided that in the interests of public health, there will be no organised events in Eyre Square for the foreseeable future.
    Galway City Council is committed to delivering a safe, socially distant Christmas experience in Galway this year and we are currently working with Fáilte Ireland on developing this concept. Galway City Council will also fully fund the city Christmas lights for 2020 and is working to ensure that Galway is an attractive and safe place to live, work and visit during the Christmas period.
    Galway City Council hopes to welcome, as soon as is safe and possible, events back to Eyre Square in 2021.

Not surprising on the market (especially since the idiotic decision to stop stalls using the grass) as it gets uncomfortably packed in there and would be impossible to have any sort of social distancing.

It will be missed but safety far out-weights the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

... Will not happen. At least not in Eyre Square. The grass is saved for a year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGVGwyxJNzF/?igshid=1qluqoxqvwrdi

It might not be the best market but it still was something I looked forward to each year when I got home.

Response from the organisers.

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-christmas-market-organisers-angry-at-premature-cancellation/
    Galway Christmas Market organisers angry at ‘premature’ cancellation

Galway City Council has cancelled the annual Christmas Market in Eyre Square this year, with the Chief Executive claiming a “safe, socially distant event cannot be delivered”.

However, the organisers of the Market for the past 10 years have branded the decision premature, arguing that nobody could foresee what restrictions would be in place when the event was due to commence in late November.

Managing Director of Milestone Initiative, Maria Moynihan Lee, told the Galway City Tribune that she was “beyond disappointed” by the decision of the City Council Chief Executive Brendan McGrath, as her company had been working with the local authority for a number of months to produce a proposal that could operate safely under Level 2 restrictions.

“We’re all committed to the plan for ‘Living with Covid’ – committed equally as a society and Government, local and national – but that commitment has to be consistent. We have to believe in the plan, that by going to Level 3, it’s a route back to Level 2 and if we don’t believe that, how do we get people to commit to Level 3 restrictions?,” said Ms Moynihan Lee.

Level 3 was only set to be in place until October 27, she said, while a flexible date to begin the Market had been set for between November 13 and 27. She questioned how City Hall could have concluded that Level 3 or higher restrictions would be in place so far in advance.

Trojan work had been done to produce a “Christmas experience” that would have been safe and enjoyable, but the City Council’s move meant it was in vain.

"The risk and responsibility for the Christmas Market is 100% on us – we own the insurance policy and if I did something wrong, I know I would never work again. We were never going to deliver an event that was anything other than safe and highly controlled.”

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm with the council on this one.
    Even if the virus restrictions would lessen, to go into a crowded market and rub up against strangers (masked or not) seems to me very risky move.

And it wouldn't be the market sellers that got the blame if there was a major spike in cases after this, it would rest solely with the council that gave the go-ahead.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Off the top of my head there are few places I remember being in recent years so packed (almost uncomfortably so) as at the market.

I look forward to it every year and it really brightens up the city but it’s just not compatible with the current situation regardless of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Owner complaining that their golden goose won't lay any eggs this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭timmyntc

biko wrote: »
    I'm with the council on this one.
    Even if the virus restrictions would lessen, to go into a crowded market and rub up against strangers (masked or not) seems to me very risky move.

And it wouldn't be the market sellers that got the blame if there was a major spike in cases after this, it would rest solely with the council that gave the go-ahead.

It wouldn't be that hard to enforce a maximum capacity in the market at any one time - didnt they have a one way system in there before also?

Just have bouncers at entrance and exit same way they do in shops to manage the crowds. It's more a lack of ambition than anything else cancelling the market. Council prefer to just vote it down and shirk any responsibility rather than trying to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

timmyntc wrote: »
    It wouldn't be that hard to enforce a maximum capacity in the market at any one time - didnt they have a one way system in there before also?

Just have bouncers at entrance and exit same way they do in shops to manage the crowds. It's more a lack of ambition than anything else cancelling the market. Council prefer to just vote it down and shirk any responsibility rather than trying to make it work.

The organisers have already proven they know how to run safe ticketed events.

Declining any organised events is just leaving the way open for spontaneous ones to emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭timmyntc

spook_cook wrote: »
    "Bouncers"? It's public land. If some private security meat heads try and harass the public, in a public setting, I hope the Gardai would have them locked up within the hour.

Why are people so desperate to hand over public space, rights to private companies for profit?

I'm glad the market is gone, well past its sell by date.

Joe Loughnane, is that you?

• Advertisement

Wasn't aware that wanting the Gardai to be the only ones with power to enforce public order, on public land was a political issue.

So in Race Week, you reckon it should only be gardai who are controlling the crowds in Shop, High and Quay streets?

Do you think private security, working for private business, should have control over public land and indeed the public itself?

What i think is irrelevant. It happens now, and is required by the event licenses that are issued.

And it would NOT be good use of garda time to have guards doing the job.

..., who are these private security? As a member of the public, what oversight can I see on their operations, what training have they got and most importantly what's the accountability they have?

They are employees of the event organiser or their subcontractors.

They have PSA licenses and the training , and public oversight associated with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

There are buses that run down the side of the square that it's a pain to get to when the market is there.
    There have tended to be queues blocking access to get to the paths to and from them. & otherwise more mobile crowds.
    So cannot see that going on and there not being a super bonus spike in the area.

& bouncers limiting people's access to the area would just make getting to the buses that much harder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

no more pointing out that German Christmas markets are able to go ahead this year, when ya can't even get an honest to goodness fetish party going over there atm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54682568

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

pure.conya wrote: »
    no more pointing out that German Christmas markets are able to go ahead this year, when ya can't even get an honest to goodness fetish party going over there atm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54682568

Nuremberg has cancelled their famous Christmas Market this afternoon.
    They had changed the layout and we're going to hold it spread across 4 squares instead of just one, but now it won't take place as infection numbers are soaring in Bavaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Leicester square christmas market IS going ahead in London. I was at it a few times.

One year I when I visited the Galway market I saw an operator handle food and then handle the change with the same gloved hand. When I pointed out the Food Safety issue to a person the idiot couldn't see a problem. The problem is cross-contamination. No doubt some idiot will come on here and contradict me on this issue. Furthermore everything was far too expensive and I dont eat processed food anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Leicester square christmas market IS going ahead in London. I was at it a few times.

One year I when I visited the Galway market I saw an operator handle food and then handle the change with the same gloved hand. When I pointed out the Food Safety issue to a person the idiot couldn't see a problem. The problem is cross-contamination. No doubt some idiot will come on here and contradict me on this issue. Furthermore everything was far too expensive and I dont eat processed food anymore.

Has not a hope in hell of going ahead

England's Covid-19 infections doubling every nine days
    http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1029/1174571-covid-uk-england/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

I haven't been since the first year. I have walked passed it other years, no interest in it.

The ice skating is much better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Advertisement