Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

• 30-10-2020 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭

Just to see if there is a trend at all with the new handicaps.

I know they're aren't really out yet but a few seem to have gotten them already.

Do not click the resend link for at least an hour. If you click resend you will need to wait on the subsequent email as the token is different as far as i can make out.

How has your Handicap Index change compared to your old handicap 244 votes

The same once adjusted for comp and tee's
    77% 188 votes
    Higher
    9% 22 votes
    Lower
    13% 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Why are you hiding the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Most people will be cut, from what I saw it was roughly 70%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Why are you hiding the results?
    That was a mistake, I'll see if one of the mods will change it.

currently 1 no change and two a piece on the other

Ollieboy wrote: »
    And I've seen the opposite. It's really apples and oranges. If you've been playing better than your handicap about a third of the time, you'll go down, worse most of the time, you'll go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Anecdotally our H/C Sec says almost everyone (in the club) has gone up by 1 or 2 shots, with bigger variations in the higher handicaps. Monday will tell all I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

And I've seen the opposite. It's really apples and oranges. If you've been playing better than your handicap about a third of the time, you'll go down, worse most of the time, you'll go up.

The sample size I used was nearly a 1000 members but what I think will be more interesting is how it affects inter club golf. The slope rating might be a big problem for some clubs.

I personally went down and I’ve played horrible golf for the last two years.

Allowing people to record casual golf is just wrong and there is no restrictions on how many times the same person signs your card. I would have placed 2 on it. I’ve found most people down or stayed the same roughly. Biggest cut Was about 7, It was really interesting to see how the low golfer h/cap changed. I reckon a lot of them will not be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

The sample size I used was nearly a 1000 members but what I think will be more interesting is how it affects inter club golf. The slope rating might be a big problem for some clubs.

Allowing people to record casual golf is just wrong and there is no restrictions on how many times the same person signs your card. I would have placed 2 on it. I’ve found most people down or stayed the same roughly. Biggest cut Was about 7, It was really interesting to see how the low golfer h/cap changed. I reckon a lot of them will not be happy.

Is anybody ever happy with their handicap ?

Russman wrote: »
    Anecdotally our H/C Sec says almost everyone (in the club) has gone up by 1 or 2 shots, with bigger variations in the higher handicaps. Monday will tell all I guess.
    Just ran another comparison on ours since the PCC was added and the new handicaps are pretty close to CONGU. Majority are in the +/- 1 territory. And that's in comparison with their exact CONGU handicap. Playing handicap would be the same in many of those as they are small decimals in the difference. As Ollieboy says above, biggest variances are with the higher handicaps. And there are only a handful of those.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I presume there are at least a few who get shots back?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

i hope I get cut really low so I cat beat my chest and say "look at me Im a single figure handicap golfer":)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Any cut below your current HC should be viewed as a good thing meaning your playing good golf and long may it last....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Russman wrote: »

From looking at the list I saw for my club, at least 60-70% have gained shots. My own exact is increasing by 1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

For me:
    Out of last 15 rounds my best 8 average = 36 points. I was playing off 7, I presume I'll still be off 7 or maybe back to 6 again 🙂

Do fourballs etc. effect your handicap when calculating? Also going forward will they effect your h/c?

I agree re casual golf counting, I know alot of people that will abuse that, surely there's something to stop people abusing the new system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Rikand wrote: »
    From looking at the list I saw for my club, at least 60-70% have gained shots. My own exact is increasing by 1.2

Whats your home course rating?

Just wondering if harder courses are getting shots back and easier losing.

jams100 wrote: »
    For me:
    Out of last 15 rounds my best 8 average = 36 points. I was playing off 7, I presume I'll still be off 7 or maybe back to 6 again ��

Do fourballs etc. effect your handicap when calculating? Also going forward will they effect your h/c?

I agree re casual golf counting, I know alot of people that will abuse that, surely there's something to stop people abusing the new system?
    It's not that easy to abuse. Firstly it has to be declared before you go out and it still has to be played with a marker. Also (and a lot of people don't seem to know this) you MUST play from the permanent tee markers and not the movable ones. Same as an initial handicap allocation card really. And if you're trying to manipulate your handicap index, you'll have to put in a lot of these, which would be very unusual and raise a lot of questions for the handicap committee to ask. :)

dan_ep82 wrote: »

That would only come into the equation if you're also playing a few 'easier' courses and scoring better as a result. I'm not at all sure that this exercise will actually prove anything tbh. If you consider that the CONGU system was designed in such a way that you would be playing in or around your handicap one third of the time, then WHS will pretty much give you the same handicap if your recent rounds reflect that. The differences will be slight enough if you're mostly buffering in those rounds, or have a couple of cuts and the rest buffers. Those who gain shots will have been mainly getting 0.1s with a few buffers at best.

In other words, if you've been playing like a drain, you'll gain shots. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

A lad in my place has only been outside the buffer ~5 times since the first lockdown. And he’s playing twice a week. Interested to see what his HI is going to be

dan_ep82 wrote: »

White tees which we play 90% of the time in Athlone

Slope :: 125
    CR :: 72.2
    Par :: 72

Its a course that plays tough for a lot of people a lot of the time. A lot of members who are getting shots back would easily have been reaching their quota of 1 shot back every year and would have been pushing their 2 shot quota if it still existed

I suppose members are getting back to a handicap that the 2 shot back system would have sorted out by itself if it had been left in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭paulos53

I logged in just there and I am down 1 shot from 11.9 to 10.9

However my 3 most recent scores are missing so that should reduce it further to 10.5

kieran. wrote: »
    Thanks

Just to add that the long string isn't required. https://www.golfireland.ie/signup will get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Just reviewed mine...drop of 4 shots off 18 based on 1 counting round with 34 points.....doesn’t seem right at all �� frowny face

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭macslash

Rikand wrote: »

How are you seeing what other members got cut to?

Just reviewed mine...drop of 4 shots off 18 based on 1 counting round with 34 points.....doesn’t seem right at all �� frowny face
    Is it four shots or is that just the difference between your handicap index and your current CONGU handicap? Because if it is, the calculation for course handicap is HI * SR/113

SR is the Slope Rating for the tees you normally play at your club. Unless the slope rating is less than 113, your course handicap will be higher than your index

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭macslash

Is it four shots or is that just the difference between your handicap index and your current CONGU handicap? Because if it is, the calculation for course handicap is HI * SR/113

SR is the Slope Rating for the tees you normally play at your club. Unless the slope rating is less than 113, your course handicap will be higher than your index

Where can you find the slope rating for a course?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kieran. wrote: »

Thanks for that, tried to sign up 15 mins ago, still haven’t got verification email. Doesn’t bode well for their switchover.

macslash wrote: »
    Where can you find the slope rating for a course?
    http://ncrdb.usga.org is one of the databases. Choose Ireland as the country and just put in the first few letters of your club's name.

My handicap before new system = 6.7
    After = 6.6

Will winter comps count towards your handicap now? Especially if they are 9 hole comps over winter?

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    Thanks for that, tried to sign up 15 mins ago, still haven’t got verification email. Doesn’t bode well for their switchover.

Same took about 15 mins to receive verification email

Advertisement